Spring is all about renewal and re-invigoration like with spring cleaning and updating your wardrobe. But why stop there? Give your senses their own spring overhaul! Renew your senses for spring with energizing aromatherapy scents to boost energy levels and relieve stress.
Energizing Aromatherapy Scents for Spring
Orange- citrus fruits like orange and lemon uplifts the spirit and sharpens the mind with its bright and optimistic scent. The clean aroma is a mood enhancer and promotes concentration.
Ginger- Ginger has been revered for thousands of years in Asia for its healing properties. Its spicy aroma quickly enlivens and heats the senses. Use it especially if you have a cold or flu to help combat infections.
Peppermint- to increase performance accuracy and alertness peppermint works as an energy booster and sharpens the mind. The menthol opens up the sinus passageways making it not only easier to breathe but also smells invigorating.
Jasmine- Jasmine is a rich floral with a fruity undertone. it relaxes nerves while stimulating the brain for improved mental performance. It also improves quality of sleep and lessens anxiety.
Rosemary- Rosemary’s refreshing and savory scent improves long-term memory. It’s also used in certain bath salts to ease muscle pain and relieve congestion.
Related blog posts:
Best way to shrink pores fast for flawless skin
Pores become enlarged when they become clogged. Those with oily complexions are more prone to enlarged pores, but no one’s immune! During a spa facial, a trained esthetician will carefully unclog and refine pores through a process of deep cleansing, exfoliation, and extraction.
But facials aren’t the only avenue to pore refinement. Regular cleansing and exfoliation is the best way to keep pores small. Choose the right product for your skin type and apply a chemical or enzyme peel at least once a month to slough away dead skin cells.
To shrink pores fast, Shizuka recommends DCL’s AHA Oily & Acne Solution and Pumpkin Purifying Enzyme Peel. These concentrated products clear skin of micro-toxins that can lead to acne, shrinks pores, and keeps skin clear of build up.
Pore Shrinking TIP: Facial treatments that include scrubs and brush cleansing (think Clarisonic) are meant to open up pores for deep cleansing. Finish with a cold water wash to close pores, and immediately follow with a moisturizer.
Related blog posts:
NY Weekly Japion featured Shizuka Bernstein, owner of SHIZUKA new york Day Spa, in their January 10th, 2014 issue.
In the article, Shizuka offers DIY skincare tips to hydrate dry skin naturally and effectively at home for plump skin throughout the winter months.
Follow these steps to nourish and hydrate dry skin naturally:
1. After washing your face, warm a wet towel in the microwave and wrap it around the face. This will open pores and will feel very relaxing.
2. Next, massage the face with jojoba oil, almond oil, and 1-2 drops of essential oil. Use upward circular movements whenever performing a facial massage to help lift and rejuvenate the skin.
3. Make a face mask by mixing together lemon juice, honey, and a small amount of grated apple. Shizuka says, “the acid from the apple will help slough away dead skin”. Leave on for 3-5 minutes before washing away.
4. Wrap the face with another hot towel to wipe away any excess from the mask and warm the skin.
5. Finish by applying a moisturizer that’s been chilled in the refrigerator. This tightens pores while sealing in moisture.
Additionally, Shizuka suggests taking daily measures to ensure skin stays hydrated such as using a humidifier and drinking water after consuming alcohol.
For a related spa treatment, SHIZUKA New York Day Spa offers the Plant Stem Cell Facial ($ 160). This facial combines Naturopathica’s powerful anti-ager, Plant Stem Cell Serum, with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies for a deeply hydrating facial–this facial is perfect for hydrating dry winter skin!
Related blog posts:
For split or cracked nails, cut tiny strips from a tea bag. This will act as a band aid while your nail grows out. Cover the nail with a clear polish or top coat, place the strip on the crack and cover with another layer of polish. This will seal the crack, allowing you to add a layer or two of your favorite polish over it.
Nails, hair, and skin are primarily made up of the protein keratin. When a diet lack lacks protein and proper vitamins weak or brittle nails can develop. To strengthen nails take B vitamin supplements daily and be sure to include healthy sources of protein into your diet. Expect to see results in three to six months (the time it takes for a new nail to grow).
To prevent already weakened nails from incurring additional damage, opt for an LED Gel manicure or pedicure instead of regular polish. LED gel firmly adheres to the nail’s surface, shielding it from incurring further damage from the environment.
Further prevent your manicure from prematurely chipping by wearing gloves when washing dishes and gardening. Also, moisturize hands and feet daily to keep skin and cuticles supple and soft.
Whether you’re a facial veteran or are about to get your first facial ever—knowing how to prepare your skin for your treatment will help extend the life of the facial keeping your face aglow longer.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for a facial:
- Know your skin. While our skilled estheticians will let you know the best treatment upon examining your skin, it’s best to already know which areas you’d like to target. For example: Tone down oily skin, target acne prone areas, focus on lifting, deep cleansing with pore extraction, etc.. Communicate this to your esthetician and your treatment will be specially catered to your needs.
- No scrubbing. Skip harsh cleansers or facial exfoliants before your treatment. Your facial will consist of exfoliation and most likely pore extraction as well, so leave the dirty work to a trained professional!
- Save new products for later. Just clean your face following your usual cleansing routine. It’s best not to experiment with new products right before a facial so that your skin can be examined in its “usual” state. Using new products may have adverse reactions on your skin (i.e. over drying, inflammation, etc.), so it’s best to hold off until after your treatment.
- To steam or not to steam. This is a personal preference that doesn’t positively or negatively affect your treatment. Some like to use a sauna before a facial to relax and open up pores. While this is an option, it’s not necessary since your face will be steamed and cleaned for an hour or more anyway.
It’s never too early to start getting regular facials for optimum skin health! Shizuka began getting facial treatments in her 20’s and says “facials have helped keep my skin clear and firm throughout the years”.
What special measures do you take to prepare your skin for a facial?
The holidays can bring with it unwonted stress, causing you to look tired even if you’re not!
This happens because facial muscles store tension much like muscles in the body do, so a tired expression can actually start to feel “normal” for your face.
The next time you’re feeling zapped of energy or just need to revive a tired face, try this spa technique (offered in all Shizuka New York Spa Facials) to wake up tired facial muscles and go from Grinch to jolly St. Nick in no time!
At Shizuka New York, a facial massage is incorporated into each facial treatment to help stimulate collagen production and new cell regeneration. It also “wakes up” tired facial muscles making you look more awake by increasing blood flow and bringing oxygen to the skin.
A facial massage works wonders to relax overactive muscles and softens the expression so you APPEAR AND FEEL refreshed.
How to give yourself a Stress-Busting Facial Massage:
Start by applying a moisturizer, cream, or essential oil such as lavender to your face…
1. Begin at the cheeks. Use your fingers or knuckles to draw big circles around your cheeks, be sure to always push the skin upward.
2. Using upward strokes, firmly rub the skin from the mid jaw to the cheekbone. Apply pressure to the cheekbones for a few seconds.
3. Massage smile lines by starting from the corners of the mouth and ending at the corners of the nose.
4. Using your fingertips, apply pressure to the brow bones to lift and open the eyes. Apply light pressure around the eye sockets and out to the temples and up to the forehead.
5. To plump lips, use forefinger and thumb to pinch upper and lower lips to stimulate blood flow.
6. To end, drain lymphatic fluid from the face to the collarbone. Place fingertips under the eyes on either side of the bridge of your nose. Gently apply pressure in a long flowing motion across the under eye area to the temples, down the side of face (along sideburns), and down the neck to the collarbone.
You don’t have to wait until Valentine’s Day to indulge in a relaxing couples massage or couples spa treatment. Instead, schedule your next date night at the spa!
Bring your date to the spa for a fun and relaxing activity to enjoy before or after dinner!
Popular Couples Spa Treatments include:
Couples Swedish Massage
Couples AromaScape Massage
Couples Shiatsu Massage
Spa Pedicure (Basic, Bamboo Scrub, Sakura)
Start your date night side by side with a relaxing couples massage in our serenely decorated treatment room. Whether it’s with the long flowing movements of the Swedish massage, soothing scents of the AromaScape massage, or the healing pressure of the Shiatsu massage, you’re both sure to relax and feel pampered together.
After your treatment, decompress in the Tranquility Lounge or head over to our NYC Nail Spa for a deluxe pedicure of your choosing. Sit side by side while sipping Japanese green tea or houjicha, and breathe easy knowing you’ve achieved date night glory!
What other tried and true date night activities have you discovered?
Don’t forget, Daylight’s Savings is right around the corner which means an extra hour of beauty sleep awaits!
It’s the perfect time to rethink your bedtime routine for a more restful and naturally beautifying sleep. While you sleep, your skin is actually undergoing a deep restorative process, expediting the skin’s natural healing and rejuvenating process. When you’re sleep deprived you’re more likely to wake up with under eye bags or a tired complexion. So the more restful your repose, the better the morning will be for you AND your skin!
Here are some tips to help promote a more restful (& beautifying) slumber:
- Light an aromatherapy candle at least 30 minutes prior to bedtime. This will ensure the essential oils have enough time to warm and permeate the air. Let the soothing scents guide you to dreamland.
- Lavender is a popular aromatherapy scent due to its calming and soothing properties. Mist your face, pillow, and/or eye mask with a lavender mist before going to bed.
- For a dull or tired complexion try using nighttime serums to promote cellular renewal:
Apply Shizuka New York’s Nighttime Anti-Aging Repair 1 & 2 to clean skin on alternating days. These products work together to even out skin tone and texture while targeting fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-Aging Night Repair 1 contains retinol and Vitamin C to retexturize and brighten skin while you sleep.
- Anti-Aging Night Repair 2 contains a powerful blast of vitamins, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid to smooth, plump, and firm skin.
- Target sagging skin by using Plant Stem Cell Serum (signature product of the Natural Face Lift Facial). This potent product utilizes active plant stem cells to plump and firm skin.
- For tired eyes, try a firming eye cream such as DCL’s AHA Revitalizing Eye Cream to moisturize and firm the fine skin around your eyes.
What’s your restful bedtime routine?
Breaking a sweat during a workout or a sauna session can do wonders for your skin and overall health. Sweating draws impurities out from your body through your skin, clearing and cleansing your pores in the process. However, beware! If sweat sits on the skin’s surface for too long, it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria leading to acne, inflammation, and clogged pores.
Save your skin from workout mayhem by washing your face before & after working out.
When you sweat, pores enlarge inviting anything left on your face IN. Products like makeup and sunscreen can actually further clog your pores prohibiting your skin from breathing. If you MUST wear makeup while working out, fore go foundation and stick to eye and lip makeup only.
Use a gentle cleanser like a Foaming Facial Cleanser or Chamomile Cleansing Milk, wash with cool water, and pat dry. Finish with an alcohol-free toner like Shizuka New York Skin Freshener with sage and mushroom extract to soothe inflammation and lock in hydration. If you’re nowhere near running water, then at the very least wipe your face clean with cleansing facial wipes.
Once you’ve decided on the perfect skin care cocktail, be sure to apply each product by layering them much like you would layer coats and scarves over thinner sweaters and shirts to help seal in warmth. In much the same way, applying creams and moisturizers over lighter water-based products helps seal in the vitamins and moisture your skin naturally craves.
How to layer skin care products:
- Start with clean skin.
- Apply any specialty prescription creams, gels, etc.
1. Anti-oxidant or vitamin rich serum
1. Anti-aging serum or cream
Tell us: What’s in your skin care cocktail?
Kissing lines, or perioral lines, are wrinkles that form around the mouth by way of repetitive facial expressions.
As skin matures, it loses its elasticity and fine lines begin to form and deepen around the corners of the mouth and above the upper lip.
An effective anti-aging measure to prevent these lines from deepening is a routine peel or exfoliating treatment. Chemical, enzyme, and crystal peels (microdermabrasion) work to slough away dead skin cells revealing a brighter, firmer layer of skin.
For best results, opt for a spa treatment over an at-home kit. Spas use professional grade products which are more potent than those sold in stores. Plus you can relax knowing the procedure is being administered by a trained skin care expert!
Other tips to prevent lip lines:
- Refrain from smoking
- Apply sunscreen regularly
(product recommendation: Chemfree Superblock)
- Keep lips hydrated by using a lip balm
(product recommendation: Honey Vanilla Lip Balm )
- Apply an anti-aging cream or serum daily
(product recommendation: Primrose Eye & Upper Lip Treatment Cream)
Check out our current spa deals >>
For smoother, brighter, and younger looking skin, Microdermabrasion and Chemical Peels are two go-to methods that effectively “peel” away signs of aging. While each treatment method is different, both effectively help to eliminate wrinkles, hyperpigmentation (sun & age spots), enlarged pores, and blemishes.
Peels are specialized exfoliation treatments that, conveniently, have little or no down time. Peels may be repeated every 2-3 weeks until the desired effect is reached.
For optimum rejuvenation and to increase your skin’s health and vibrancy, peels are recommended once a month to coincide with its natural and continual 4-5 week renewal process.
DIY products can be used at home, but they are less potent than professional-grade peels. Read on for a treatment guide by Shizuka New York’s skin experts:
Go for a Crystal Peel (Microdermabrasion) if your skin is:
- Sun-damaged (brown spots)
A fine crystal powder blasts across the skin’s surface to physically break up and exfoliate dead skin while a suction simultaneously vacuums the powder and dead skin away from the face revealing a new “polished” layer of skin.
Crystal Peels are ideal for unclogging pores and freeing skin from bacteria that may be lurking on the surface. If you have acne, it’s best to stay away from Crystal Peels since the procedure is likely to spread bacteria across the face. Crystal Peels are also NOT recommended if you have sensitive skin, broken capillaries, or rosacea (see IPL below).
At Shizuka New York, our Crystal Peel treatment includes a light layer of salicylic or lactic acid (depending on your skin type) to soften the skin’s surface for the microdermabrasion to follow. This customized prep allows for a very thorough and complete exfoliation process.
Go for a Chemical Peel if your skin is:
-Blotchy (uneven complexion)
Chemical Peels utilize an acid solution combining TCA, Salicylic and Lactic acids to break down and exfoliate dead skin cells for removal. Chemical Peels are recommended for all skin types, especially acneic skin as it lifts away bacteria that has settled into pores. They also lighten brown spots promoting an even complexion.
At Shizuka New York we offer two chemical peels: Lunchtime Peel & Total Skin Rejuvenation. The Lunchtime Peel has very little or no downtime. If minor peeling/flaking occurs, make up may be used to conceal it. The Total Skin Rejuvenation treatment will cause peeling/flaking of the skin for 5-7 days.
DIY Chemical Peel products~
If you have sensitive skin, Enzyme Peels offer a gentler alternative to Chemical Peels. They’re contracted from fruit enzymes and work the same way Crystal and Chemical Peels do but are much milder. You can add on a customized Enzyme Peel to any Shizuka New York facial treatment for $30.
DIY Enzyme Peel products~
We also offer IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) which penetrates deeper layers of skin, or dermis, than peels. Short pulses of light target broken capillaries, rosacea, and hyperpigmentation (sun and age spots) while leaving the skin’s surface intact. IPL also aids in skin rejuvenation as it stimulates collagen production.
Post-peel skin care:
Whether you choose a Peel or IPL, it’s highly recommended to apply sunscreen before going outdoors, both to protect your new skin and the treatment’s results.
The application of Epidermal Growth Factor gel is also highly recommended for advanced healing. EGF gel aids new skin generation with nourishing hydration, while preventing excessive peeling/flaking.
Check out current Spa Deals HERE>>
A recent article in Fox News Magazine highlights creative ways to use the summertime heat for great skin.
Read on for Shizuka’s summertime tips for eliminating dull dry skin:
To make sure your skin is in tip-top shape, it’s especially important to cleanse properly when the temperature rises. Experts say now is the time to thoroughly exfoliate every week to remove impurities from the skin and keep pores clog-free. New York City-based celebrity facialist Shizuka Bernstein suggests applying a hot towel to the skin for five minutes after removing makeup and washing skin thoroughly. Follow this by exfoliating gently with a scrub that’s ideal for sensitive skin.
If there was ever a season for makeup woes, summer would be it.
Between sudden rainy downpours, sweltering sweaty afternoons, and even wayward splashes from poolside cannon balls, applying makeup, especially mascara, can become a real chore.
Luckily for some, there are three spa treatments that may make you give your mascara a summer vacation of its own.
An eyelash perm curls your lashes semi-permanently, giving your eyelash curler a rest for 4-6 weeks. Technicians wrap your lashes around tiny rollers (think eyelash sized hair rollers) and apply a chemical solution to induce the curl. The entire treatment takes about an hour. A pro to perms is you get to choose the size the curl. A tight curl will give your eyes a more dramatic & glam look while a looser curl will look more natural.
Tinting solutions range from auburn to blue black and will give your lashes the look of mascara (but without the clumps). Just like the perm, this treatment lasts 4-6 weeks as well.
If giving your lashes the chemical treatment just isn’t your thing, another alternative worth trying is Eyelash Extensions. Extensions combine the look of a perm and tint, making your lashes look longer, fuller, and curlier. False lashes are affixed to your real ones with a special glue holding them in place until they fall out naturally.
Related Blog Post: 7 Tips for Naturally Stronger Fuller Lashes
Check out our Current Spa Deals here >>
Transform your water into a cool cup of bliss with these refreshing spa water recipes!
Spa water is a term given to water that’s been infused with fruits, choice vegetables, and herbs. The infusion gives water a tasty and refreshing dimension with added vitamins, allowing for better hydration (& a tasty serving of fruit to boot!)
At Shizuka NY, we offer a delicious spa water blend for clients to enjoy before and after treatments. We infuse purified water with berries and citrus fruits for some positively nourishing refreshment.
Slice and add ingredients into a pitcher of water and let it sit in the refrigerator for about an hour or just add ice!
Here are some sumptuous flavor combinations that will make your water sing:
Lemon & Mint: fresh & cooling zing.
Cucumber, Lemon, & Ginger: highly refreshing & a good palette cleanser.
Raspberries & Lime: sweet & tart.
Blueberries & Orange: soothing & refreshing.
Lime, Orange, & Rosemary: calming & sweet.
Pineapple & Strawberries: sweet & tangy.
Watermelon & Cucumber: cooling & subtly sweet.
Lavender & Strawberries: soothing, highly aromatic, & crisp.
Related Blog Post: DIY Summertime Detox Tips from Gary B.
Related Blog Post: Happy National Iced Tea Month!
Tension headaches have any number of causes from dehydration, skipping meals, to being over caffeinated or stressed out.
Aromatherapy may be a good alternative to medication and can stop a tension headache in its tracks. You can engage in aromatherapy one of three ways: cosmetics (applying essential oils to yourself by way of body or skincare products), massage, or inhalation.
Put a few drops of your favorite soothing essential oil on a cotton ball and place under nose and inhale deeply. Examples of soothing oils are:
- Sweet marjoram
Or apply a few drops into a bowl of hot steaming water and place your nose near the steam.
Here are some other soothing ways to ward off headaches:
- Steep herbs like lavender, peppermint, rosemary, sage, or chamomile in boiling water for 20min. Soak a cloth in the infused water then place on forehead.
- For a cold compress version, chill the soaked cloth in the refrigerator or freezer until it reaches desired coolness.
- Steep herbs in bath water for a relaxing and aromatic bath.
Related Blog Post>> Aromatherapy Tuesday anyone?
Related Blog Post>> Summertime Lavender Skincare
Related Blog Post>>Botox for Migraines
When it’s just impossible to get a good night’s rest or when you’re stuck in an air plane for too long; skin can start to lose its sheen and look dull and tired. Here are some tips to help you look and feel refreshed:
- Dull sagging skin – An occasional steam will open pores and flush out any stagnant oil and buildup. If you can’t get to a sauna, fill a large bowl with hot water and place your face over it. Create an insulated “tent” effect by draping a towel over your head and shoulders. This will help plump and smooth dull skin and will give you a dewy and glowing complexion!
- Dehydrated – After cleansing the skin, applying a moisturizer will hydrate dry brittle skin. Give yourself a short and invigorating facial massage to wake up tired facial muscles and increase blood circulation.
- Under eye bags – Sometimes even the best concealer won’t be able to disguise tired droopy eyes. For fast relief, wash your face with cold water and apply chilled stainless steel spoons to your eyes for as long as you need. For puffy eyes apply a depuffer eye cream. For more natural remedies: try applying cucumber slices or chilled chamomile or green tea bags.
Some find freckles, sun or angel kisses, cute, and some annoying. But what are they?
Freckles are a grouping of melanin pigment that forms on the outer most layer of the skin to protect deeper layers from excessive sun damage. Since freckles are part of the skin’s protective functioning, it’s privy for anyone susceptible to these mighty little “kisses” to work with the skin and always wear sunscreen and resort to other protective measures.
Freckles usually form on the places exposed to direct sunlight: face, arms, shoulders and neck. If you “freckle” it’s a sure sign your skin is sensitive to sun exposure so it’s a good idea to limit exposure to harmful UV rays by covering up and using sunscreen. This will limit further “freckling”, prolonged sun damage, and possibly even melanoma. And plus, your skin will look and feel healthier.
If you’re looking to even out your complexion, here are some ways to care for freckled skin:
- Brightening creams and cleansers. These products contain brightening agents that will even out skin tone creating a brighter complexion. Be sure to follow directions when using these products and always wear sunscreen when outside, as your skin will be even more susceptible to UV-damage.
- Laser/IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatments. These treatments will lighten or remove dark spots entirely. Depending on your skin’s condition, several treatments may be necessary.
- Chemical Peels. Chemical peels strip you of your outer most layer of skin, allowing for newer healthier skin to grow in. This will reduce the appearance of freckles and age spots.
More sun-damage prevention tips:
- Take cover with an umbrella, hat, scarf, and protective clothing. Avoid scorching sun rays between 10a – 4p.
- Look for “broad-spectrum” sun screens that will protect your skin from both UVB and UVA rays. UVA rays penetrate deeper into the skin, while UVB rays are shorter and cause sunburns. Look for sunscreen with SPF of at least 15, although sunscreen SPF of 30 or more is ideal. If you’re at higher elevations use higher SPF.
- Apply sunscreen liberally 30 minutes before stepping outdoors, and continue to reapply every 2 hours.
- If you have moles, make it a regular habit to visit a dermatologist at least once a year for a check-up.
- The use of tanning beds can significantly increase your skin’s need to freckle, not to mention increase your risk for melanoma. If you really need a tan, try using self tanning creams or sprays instead.
- If you have sensitive skin and want to stay away from chemical-based products, look for chem-free products that contain zinc oxide or titanium dioxide. These ingredients help to block UV rays from penetrating the skin’s surface. They aren’t absorbed into the skin like regular sunscreens so are nonallergenic and nonirritating and won’t aggravate acne.
- If acne is a concern, Shizuka suggests staying away from powder mineral make-up. “I’ve seen so many clients who use the product come in with acne, I suspect the oil from the minerals or the applicator brush is clogging pores.” An unwashed brush transfers bacteria back and forth from the powder to the skin, which further contributes to clogged pores. For oily and congested skin, be sure to wash your face (& make-up brushes!) as soon as possible.
Related blog post>> Product Highlight: SNY’s Skin Freshener (Mt. Fuji Water Tonic)
Related blog post>> 11 Ways to Look Fabulous for Memorial Day & Beyond!
Related blog post>> Preventing Acne, Is There an App for That?
Detox is the term given to the body’s natural ability to rid itself of toxins and impurities. Everybody can benefit from a detox regimen every now and then. Some even claim detox’ing on a regular basis helps with weight loss, cellulite reduction, and an increase of energy.
Here are some DIY detox tips from our senior Licensed Massage Therapist, Gary Bergman, to help you feel your very best this summer:
Toxins like acid, waste products, enzymes, and proteins that remain in the blood can, due to gravity, settle like sediment in the feet. Many motor nerves also end in the feet, so by giving your feet some extra special attention once in a while, you’ll be able to increase mobility and blood circulation, thereby lowering blood pressure and increasing immunity–ain’t detox great?
1. Soak your feet in hot water with Epsom or any kind of bath salts. At the end of a long day after walking around in strappy sandals or shoes without much support, a 15-20 min. foot soak will really do the whole body good. The salt will help draw out uric acid build up in the muscles around the feet and ankles and will also give you a quick magnesium boost.
2. Massage the bottoms of your feet with a golf or racket ball by moving your foot in a circular motion for about two minutes at a time while standing or sitting. Be sure to move the ball along the arch and ball of the foot. This will break up any tightness and loosen tendons, as well as contribute to foot flexibility. Flexible feet will also keep joints loose decreasing the possibility of bad sprains.
3. Flush out toxins naturally by drinking plenty of water. I know we hear this all the time, but without proper hydration the body has a harder time flushing out impurities. Some people love fizzy or sparkling water but it isn’t as hydrating as good ole H2O. If you drink sparkling this summer, I suggest adding a little juice or fresh fruit to it to increase its hydrating capacity.
Just remember: when in doubt, flush it out!
As your wedding day draws nearer, the last thing you want to be stressing over is your skin. It’s always a good idea to get a head start on a season-specific regimen (in this case: summer!) that will leave your skin smooth and glowing on your big day.
For summer brides, the best skin care regimen includes a deep cleansing facial cleanser, toner, and a an oil-free moisturizer. While the deep cleanser helps keep your pores flushed, the toner will replace the healthy fatty acids and antioxidants that may have been stripped from the cleansing. An oil-free moisturizer will seal in hydration without clogging pores which is especially important during the summer.
Wedding planning brings about a lot of stress, and stress, unfortunately, also leads to premature aging. To keep fine lines at bay, be sure to use an antioxidant rich serum to help boost collagen production. In addition, serums also work to help plump and hydrate dry skin.
As you get closer to the big day, be sure to exfoliate regularly. Exfoliation will slough away the dead skin cells and any bacteria that lead to acne break outs. It also helps to smooth and even your complexion. Always follow exfoliation with a deeply hydrating serum, cream, or mask.
All those nerves may make it difficult to get a good amount of “beauty rest” right before the wedding day, so I recommend applying a cold compress to the eyes to help reduce puffiness in the morning. Use chilled green tea bags for a quick and easy way to sooth puffy eyes in a flash.
Have more bridal beauty questions for Shizuka? Feel free to leave a comment or send an email to: [email protected]