As winter begins, our skin starts to become dry and itchy, and many start to get sore throats and common colds. Check out these tips to prevent and avoid these annoying winter symptoms!
The best percentage of humidity for people is 40%~60%. It’s so important to keep your body hydrated and skin moisturized all year round. Placing a humidifier in your home during the dry winter months can help prevent your skin from becoming overly dry and itchy.
Where to place the humidifier?
Because a humidifier reaches all over the room, it really doesn’t matter where you place it. However, it’s better to keep it away from walls and windows. If it’s too close, mold or mildew may develop from the condensation. What’s important is which heater and which humidifier you actually use.
When you use a humidifier it’s best to place it at least 1 yard away from you so it hydrates you well. Only one humidifier is needed in each room and be sure to close the door. When you’re away from home, turn off the machine and leave the door or window open to let the humidity go.
Which humidifier do you recommend?
-Shizuka loves the Air-O-Swiss Humidifier.
What are other ways to prevent dryness?
It is important to take care of your skin but it’s also important to take preventative measures before your skin gets too dry.
1) Avoid hot water and harsh soaps- Hot water and harsh soaps strip moisture away from your skin. Use a natural wash cloth rather than a synthetic one.
2) Take a bath by soaking the body in warm water. This will soothe nerves and enhance the cell metabolism and increase blood circulation which leads to beautiful skin. Also, it opens up and drains pores. The ideal water temperature should range between 96F to 105F. If the water is too hot it may overburden your body. Bath agents or bath oils are recommended to moisturize your skin and further relax you as well.
3) After taking a bath or shower, pat your body with dry towel quickly and apply moisturizer. It penetrates into the skin when skin is still wet and soft. However, if you leave the skin too long without applying anything, skin gets drier due to water evaporation.
These products are great for combating dry skin:
Shizuka NY Hyaluronic Acid Gel (Hydrating Serum)
Shizuka NY New Barrier Repair (Moisturizing Cream)
Shizuka NY Hyaluronic Acid Mask (Hydrating Mask)
Aside from the fact that lavender is highly calming and soothing; the main reason why lavender is positively first-rate is because of its potent acne-fighting properties.
Lavender is a natural anti-inflammatory and antiseptic—meaning it disrupts and stops the growth of bacteria that lead to acne and skin infections.
When included in facial cleansers, toners, and moisturizers like those in the Shizuka New York Skincare System, lavender offers a botanical-based alternative to purify and balance acne-prone skin.
Lavender also soothes and heals inflammation.
If you have a scrape or burn, or even dry or itchy skin, skip rubbing alcohol and dilute lavender oil with warm water and carefully apply the mixture to the wounded area. It will disinfect the skin and generate new skin faster for quicker healing and less scarring.
In addition to its antiseptic properties, lavender calms the mind and body and soothes nerves like nothing else. Add a few drops of lavender oil to your bath water for a relaxing and delightful soak before bed.
Related blog posts:
Preserve your youthful glow by applying a Vitamin C serum to damp skin every morning after cleansing. Vitamin C Power Gel combines the potency of Vitamin C with Green Tea Extract for an antioxidant “power blend” that protects the skin from free radical damage while hydrating and increasing collagen production throughout the day.
Looking for the perfect gift this holiday season?
Our luxuriously silky SHIZUKA new york Moisturizer from Japan is packed with natural anti-agers like green tea, soy collagen, pearl protein, and natto bean extracts to immediately hydrate, brighten, and strengthen your skin.
Pair it with a spa store item like an aromatherapy pure soy candle from Maddison Ave for the ultimate holiday gift to remember.
Don’t forget, Daylight’s Savings is right around the corner which means an extra hour of beauty sleep awaits!
It’s the perfect time to rethink your bedtime routine for a more restful and naturally beautifying sleep. While you sleep, your skin is actually undergoing a deep restorative process, expediting the skin’s natural healing and rejuvenating process. When you’re sleep deprived you’re more likely to wake up with under eye bags or a tired complexion. So the more restful your repose, the better the morning will be for you AND your skin!
Here are some tips to help promote a more restful (& beautifying) slumber:
- Light an aromatherapy candle at least 30 minutes prior to bedtime. This will ensure the essential oils have enough time to warm and permeate the air. Let the soothing scents guide you to dreamland.
- Lavender is a popular aromatherapy scent due to its calming and soothing properties. Mist your face, pillow, and/or eye mask with a lavender mist before going to bed.
- For a dull or tired complexion try using nighttime serums to promote cellular renewal:
Apply Shizuka New York’s Nighttime Anti-Aging Repair 1 & 2 to clean skin on alternating days. These products work together to even out skin tone and texture while targeting fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-Aging Night Repair 1 contains retinol and Vitamin C to retexturize and brighten skin while you sleep.
- Anti-Aging Night Repair 2 contains a powerful blast of vitamins, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid to smooth, plump, and firm skin.
- Target sagging skin by using Plant Stem Cell Serum (signature product of the Natural Face Lift Facial). This potent product utilizes active plant stem cells to plump and firm skin.
- For tired eyes, try a firming eye cream such as DCL’s AHA Revitalizing Eye Cream to moisturize and firm the fine skin around your eyes.
What’s your restful bedtime routine?
Every now and then a quick cat nap can do wonders to boost energy and reset the body and mind. Along the same lines, a quick spa treatment can be just what you need to rest and recharge amidst a hectic schedule.
Check out these popular Express Spa treatments below:
A single color manicure or pedicure includes cuticle care, foot exfoliation, buffing/color, and moisturizing. The sugar scrub and & bamboo scrub treatments include additional hand and foot exfoliation and light massage.
Basic Manicure – 20 min.
Basic Pedicure – 35 min.
Sugar Scrub Manicure – 30 min.
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure – 45 min.
Massages are typically enjoyed at 50 or 80 minute increments but we also offer shorter versions for 25 and 35 minutes–perfect for anyone new to massage therapy.
Swedish – 25 min. & 35 min.
Shiatsu – 25 min. & 35 min.
Reflexology (Foot massage) – 25 min. & 35 min.
Deep Tissue – 35 min.
Omedeta (Maternity) – 25 min.
This full body exfoliation treatment sloughs off dead skin cells leaving your skin soft and supple.
Body Scrub – 20 min.
Our most basic NYC spa facial incorporates Shizuka New York Day Spa’s all-natural skin care products and includes cleansing, exfoliation, and extraction.
Express Facial – 30 min.
These facials incorporate GentleWaves®, a facial rejuvenation treatment that uses LED lights to shrink pores, fine lines and wrinkles, and stimulate collagen production.
GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – 30 min.
Collagen Boost Facial – 40 min.
Once you’ve decided on the perfect skin care cocktail, be sure to apply each product by layering them much like you would layer coats and scarves over thinner sweaters and shirts to help seal in warmth. In much the same way, applying creams and moisturizers over lighter water-based products helps seal in the vitamins and moisture your skin naturally craves.
How to layer skin care products:
- Start with clean skin.
- Apply any specialty prescription creams, gels, etc.
1. Anti-oxidant or vitamin rich serum
1. Anti-aging serum or cream
Tell us: What’s in your skin care cocktail?
Kissing lines, or perioral lines, are wrinkles that form around the mouth by way of repetitive facial expressions.
As skin matures, it loses its elasticity and fine lines begin to form and deepen around the corners of the mouth and above the upper lip.
An effective anti-aging measure to prevent these lines from deepening is a routine peel or exfoliating treatment. Chemical, enzyme, and crystal peels (microdermabrasion) work to slough away dead skin cells revealing a brighter, firmer layer of skin.
For best results, opt for a spa treatment over an at-home kit. Spas use professional grade products which are more potent than those sold in stores. Plus you can relax knowing the procedure is being administered by a trained skin care expert!
Other tips to prevent lip lines:
- Refrain from smoking
- Apply sunscreen regularly
(product recommendation: Chemfree Superblock)
- Keep lips hydrated by using a lip balm
(product recommendation: Honey Vanilla Lip Balm )
- Apply an anti-aging cream or serum daily
(product recommendation: Primrose Eye & Upper Lip Treatment Cream)
Check out our current spa deals >>
When the seasons change, so should your skin care routine. For example, during the fall and winter months, the air is very dry so your skin craves extra hydration. Naturopathica’s Plant Stem Cell Serum works with the change in seasons to jump start and enhance the skin’s firming and hydrating properties.
This signature product of the Natural Face Lift Facial* utilizes potent anti-aging components of these 100% natural ingredients to treat premature aging, inflammation, fine lines and wrinkles, and sagging skin:
Plant Stem Cells- taken from the wound tissue of plants, improves collagen synthesis, hydration, suppleness and elasticity.
Echinacea Angustifolia Stem Cell- plumps skin by preserving skin’s elasticity and firmness.
Buddleja Davidii (Butterfly Bush) Stem Cell- helps to strengthen and regenerate skin cells, protecting against signs of aging.
Acai- this berry’s potent bounty of anti-oxidants, Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids, Vitamin C and polyphenols promotes supple and healthy skin as it protects against free radicals.
Helichrysium- soothes inflammation and protects against broken capillaries.
Naturopathica’s Plant Stem Cell Serum is recommended for use for 30 days at the beginning of every season.
*The Natural Face Lift Facial is a 60min hi-tech facial that’s also naturally aromatic; leaving you not only with a fresh and radiant complexion, but also feeling pampered and relaxed. Ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies send serums deep into the skin’s epidermal layers for deep hydration and lifting.
Benefit from the the Plant Stem Cell Serum by applying a dime-sized amount to your skin every night for 30 days, repeat every 90 days >>
Check out our current Spa Deals here>>
For smoother, brighter, and younger looking skin, Microdermabrasion and Chemical Peels are two go-to methods that effectively “peel” away signs of aging. While each treatment method is different, both effectively help to eliminate wrinkles, hyperpigmentation (sun & age spots), enlarged pores, and blemishes.
Peels are specialized exfoliation treatments that, conveniently, have little or no down time. Peels may be repeated every 2-3 weeks until the desired effect is reached.
For optimum rejuvenation and to increase your skin’s health and vibrancy, peels are recommended once a month to coincide with its natural and continual 4-5 week renewal process.
DIY products can be used at home, but they are less potent than professional-grade peels. Read on for a treatment guide by Shizuka New York’s skin experts:
Go for a Crystal Peel (Microdermabrasion) if your skin is:
- Sun-damaged (brown spots)
A fine crystal powder blasts across the skin’s surface to physically break up and exfoliate dead skin while a suction simultaneously vacuums the powder and dead skin away from the face revealing a new “polished” layer of skin.
Crystal Peels are ideal for unclogging pores and freeing skin from bacteria that may be lurking on the surface. If you have acne, it’s best to stay away from Crystal Peels since the procedure is likely to spread bacteria across the face. Crystal Peels are also NOT recommended if you have sensitive skin, broken capillaries, or rosacea (see IPL below).
At Shizuka New York, our Crystal Peel treatment includes a light layer of salicylic or lactic acid (depending on your skin type) to soften the skin’s surface for the microdermabrasion to follow. This customized prep allows for a very thorough and complete exfoliation process.
Go for a Chemical Peel if your skin is:
-Blotchy (uneven complexion)
Chemical Peels utilize an acid solution combining TCA, Salicylic and Lactic acids to break down and exfoliate dead skin cells for removal. Chemical Peels are recommended for all skin types, especially acneic skin as it lifts away bacteria that has settled into pores. They also lighten brown spots promoting an even complexion.
At Shizuka New York we offer two chemical peels: Lunchtime Peel & Total Skin Rejuvenation. The Lunchtime Peel has very little or no downtime. If minor peeling/flaking occurs, make up may be used to conceal it. The Total Skin Rejuvenation treatment will cause peeling/flaking of the skin for 5-7 days.
DIY Chemical Peel products~
If you have sensitive skin, Enzyme Peels offer a gentler alternative to Chemical Peels. They’re contracted from fruit enzymes and work the same way Crystal and Chemical Peels do but are much milder. You can add on a customized Enzyme Peel to any Shizuka New York facial treatment for $30.
DIY Enzyme Peel products~
We also offer IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) which penetrates deeper layers of skin, or dermis, than peels. Short pulses of light target broken capillaries, rosacea, and hyperpigmentation (sun and age spots) while leaving the skin’s surface intact. IPL also aids in skin rejuvenation as it stimulates collagen production.
Post-peel skin care:
Whether you choose a Peel or IPL, it’s highly recommended to apply sunscreen before going outdoors, both to protect your new skin and the treatment’s results.
The application of Epidermal Growth Factor gel is also highly recommended for advanced healing. EGF gel aids new skin generation with nourishing hydration, while preventing excessive peeling/flaking.
Check out current Spa Deals HERE>>
Want a radiant and glowing complexion just in time for Fashion Week?
A Collagen Fiber Mask chock-full of anti-oxidants, soothing aloe vera, and skin brighteners may be just what you seek.
Most SHIZUKA new york spa facials include a customized Collagen Fiber Mask treatment for deeply hydrated, smooth, and positively glowing skin.
Collagen Fiber Masks serve to not only replenish lost collagen, but they also promote further collagen production, leaving your skin smooth and firm long after your treatment.
Want a quick collagen infusion? Add a Collagen Fiber Mask to the Express or Classic Facial for an additional $30.
See our current Spa Deals here >>
How do you prep your skin for a busy week?
An invigorating facial massage can do wonders to rejuvenate and rehydrate tired and lack-luster skin.
However, when skin looks exceptionally dull and pattered with fine lines, you may need to forego a bit of pampering in lieu of a “hi-tech” facial for deeper hydration and skin restoration. Hi-tech facials are results-driven treatments, incorporating modern technology with deep cleansing refreshment.
Shizuka new York Day Spa’s specialty hi-tech facials can be customized and complemented with Medi-Spa treatments such as Botox or Juvederm injections for non-surgical alternatives to face-lifts– at a fraction of the cost and with little or no down time.
Lightening Facial – Ionization allows skin brightening agents to penetrate deeply to even out the complexion.
GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – Specially coded LED lights engage the skin in photomodulation. This synthesis smooths fine lines and wrinkles, shrinks pores, stimulates collagen production, and encourages cellular renewal.
Collagen Boost Facial – This facial combines GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation with microcurrent facial toning.
Anti-Aging IPL Photofacial – Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) works to remove hyperpigmentation, rosacea and broken capillaries. An IPL treatment also stimulates collagen formation, and tightens pores.
Chemical Peels – Varying strengths of chemical peels remove superficial dead skin cells.
Microdermabraision (Crystal Peel) – Medical-grade microdermabrasion facials vacuum fine crystal powder across the surface of the skin to remove dead cells.
Not sure which one’s right for you? Call us at (212) 644-7400 or email: [email protected] to>>
>> Set up a skincare consultation with Shizuka
>> Inquire about pricing for Botox or Juvederm treatments
We can all agree that relaxation reduces stress. Taken a step further, stress-reduction techniques can also aid in the reduction of certain skin ailments like acne, dry skin, and even fine lines and wrinkles. Everyone can use a little anti-aging R&R every now and then.
Read on for Japanese-inspired ways to relax & rejuvenate your mind and body.
1. Drink tea: For centuries the Japanese Tea Ceremony has been regarded as a much cherished encounter between the host and guests to, for the time, forget all stress and simply enjoy a peaceful and tranquil tea time together.
The next time you drink a cup of tea, engage in mindfulness from preparation to sipping that last drop. You’ll turn tea time into your own personal relaxing tea ritual.
2. Light a candle: When lit, Japanese lanterns made of stone or paper, bring much significance to ceremonies and celebrations. A burning candle is placed in the center to illuminate and bring warmth to the lantern.
Enjoy instant warmth & â€ªambiance by burning â€ªâ€Žorganic soy candles. They burn clean and smell extraordinary. For a â€ªâ€Žspa effect, burn the candle for at least 30min. to fully warm the essential oils–then relax as the pure fragrance fills the room!
3. Listen to water: The Japanese character for water (sui or mizu) is: æ°´ , represents the flowing nature of life.
If you ever need help â€ªâ€Žrelaxing, try listening to the sound of â€ªâ€Žflowing â€ªâ€Žwater, from a fountain or at the beach. The â€ªcalming sound will help any stressful thoughts “flow” away.
4. Commune with nature: Many natural elements are revered in Japanese culture, such as koi (symbol of fortune and courage) and sakura blossoms (symbol of the ephemeral nature of life). Every year when sakura trees are in full bloom, many people gather to enjoy hanami, or picnicking under the trees.
Whether it’s observing fish gracefully swimming in a pond or sitting under a blossom-filled tree; immersing yourself in nature can be calming and reflective.
5. Take a bath: In Japan there are many active volcanoes and because of this onsens, hot spring resorts or bathhouses, are very popular all year round. People journey to onsens to escape their hectic city lifestyles and relax and feel rejuvenated by the waters’ healing minerals.
The water in hot springs can reach 110 degrees F, so it’s an ideal place to sweat it out and detox. Aside from creating your own relaxing bath soak, you can also enjoy a good sweat by using a far infrared sauna.
Check out CBS New’s extensive coverage of our Geisha “bird poop” Facial®!
Botox isn’t just for wrinkles anymore.
The anti-aging injectable is gaining popularity as a pain management option for Chronic Migraine sufferers.
Last month, a 60 second TV commercial debuted promoting the benefits of BOTOX® (onabotulinumtoxinA) as a treatment option for adult Chronic Migraine sufferers. Chronic Migraines are severe headaches that occur at least 15 days a month, each lasting at least 4 hours a day.
If you suffer from this debilitating condition, consult a headache specialist for the best treatment plan, as Botox injections are just one of many.
You can download a free Migraine Diary from mychronicmigraine.com to track your headaches. This detailed log will help you and your doctor make informed decisions about a treatment plan.
Related Blog Post>> Botox for Migraines
Today’s article in The New York Times offers a fresh perspective on facial toner. It was once scoffed as unnecessary, but doctors are now proving it an effective element to any cleansing routine.
“They used to be associated with pimply skin and were alcohol-based or made to control the production of oil while rebalancing the skin’s pH levels. Like anything else, they’ve dramatically changed. They’re now used as a second stage of cleansing, and treat a variety of issues. They can exfoliate, reduce redness, fight aging and brighten the skin.”
- Dr. Paul Frank, a cosmetic dermatologist and the founder of the Fifth Avenue Dermatology Surgery and Laser Center
Shizuka New York’s Skin Freshener is perfect for the summer, a time when the skin becomes excessively oily. To give this Mt. Fuji water tonic its moment in the sun, Shizuka is offering 30% off throughout the month of June!
This skin-softening tonic is made with pure Mt. Fuji mineral water that’s been filtered through the mountain’s sacred volcanic rock. All Shizuka New York Skincare products are made with natural ingredients sourced from Japan.
Skin Freshener’s non-drying formula includes pure Mt. Fuji water, mushroom extract, and soothing calendula and sage to hydrate, remove excess oil, and gently exfoliate the skin. Refreshing lemon and antioxidant-rich green tea purifies and balances the skin to shrink pores while preparing it for better absorption of serums and creams that follow.
The result is a softer, smoother, brighter, and more balanced complexion.
Memorial Day is just a few weeks away, bringing with it the warm summer months to follow. Here are some tips to looking and feeling your best throughout summer 2013!
1. Screen your skin!: In order to protect against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays, generously coat all exposed skin with sunscreen, preferably broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher. Also, just applying once isn’t enough–remember to reapply every two hours, especially after swimming or extensive sweating.
Related blog post>> Top Summer Skin Mistake
2. Post lunch: Most people forget that the skin on your lips is also susceptible to sun damage, so be sure to wear lip balm with SPF. Don’t forget to reapply especially after eating or drinking.
3. Made in shades: Wear sunglasses with lenses that provide UV protection. Too much sun over time can actually damage your eyes, not to mention the fine lines that can accrue from too much squinting.
4. Exfoliate & moisturize!: Show off soft smooth skin by making it a habit to exfoliate regularly and moisturize daily. When you exfoliate, dead skin cells are sloughed off revealing smoother skin. Moisturizing everyday will not only keep your skin hydrated, but will help your skin retain water and look smoother. SNY Moisturizer goes on light and silky and provides the benefits of immediate hydration.
5. Wax not wane: Consider waxing to get rid of unwanted body hair during the summer months. In most cases, a waxing will last for 4-6 weeks. IPL (or Intense Pulsed Light) is considered a more permanent hair removal solution, however, IPL treatments make the skin more sensitive to sunlight. Because of this, the procedure is best left for the cooler winter months when skin is less likely to be exposed to direct sunlight. If you do receive IPL during the summer, take care to wear protective clothing and reapply SPF 30 or higher regularly to the treated areas.
Related blog post>> 5 Summer Waxing Tips from Shizuka NY
6. Footsie play: Get a spa pedicure with exfoliation to get your feet sandal ready! Have fun and choose colors that compliment your sandals or add-on a bit of reflexology to soothe and recharge tired feet.
7. Aloe me: Keep some aloe vera or aloe-based ointment or moisturizer on hand in case of accidental sunburn to skin. Aloe will help relieve the pain and can help the skin heal faster. Continue to apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to the affected area(s).
8. Daily cleanse: Be sure to cleanse skin properly each day to keep pores free from sweat and sunscreen build-up. Sweating actually purifies your skin by releasing bacteria and other toxins through your pores. However, when you let the sweat dry on your skin, the sitting bacteria can lead to breakouts and major acne. SNY Clay Cleanser is great for summertime cleansing and the cooling effect of peppermint will leave your skin cool and refreshed.
Related blog post>> Product Highlight: Shizuka NY Clay Cleanser
9. G’day: As the sun beats down on you, especially during the scorching afternoon hours, be sure to wear a hat or scarf to protect your scalp from burning. Scarves in light colored fabrics such as white, khaki, or pastels will help keep you cool by reflecting heat instead of absorbing it like dark colors. Brimmed hats made of natural fibers such as straw, linen or cotton will help your scalp breathe and will help protect your face as well. If hats and scarves aren’t your thing, consider using an umbrella instead. It will keep you cool and help protect your skin, scalp AND hair from ultimate summertime burnout!
10. Bugs beware: To avoid unsightly bug bites and itchy rashes from mosquitoes, ticks, and gnats, consider trying natural alternatives to chemical-based repellents. Apply any combination of essential oils like cedar oil, citronella oil, clove oil, geranium oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, and even the juice from garlic cloves will help keep mosquitoes and other bugs (and maybe even other humans too) at bay.
11. HydrateHydrateHydrate: Drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic beverages will help keep your skin and hair hydrated and healthy. Alcohol tends to dehydrate the skin and hair, so be sure to replenish your system with plenty of water and electrolytes after every mojito and margarita!
We have a wide variety of treatments and gifts sure to please every type of mom this Mother’s Day. Check out the following Mother’s Day Spa Guide to find out which treatments and gifts are the best fit for your Mom!
The executive mom is usually always busy with work. When she’s not cooking dinner or going to soccer practice, she’s glued to her Smartphone to keep in touch with the office. She’s perpetually busy but loves it when she’s finally able to RELAX, even if it’s just for a couple hours.
Treatment suggestions: Coffee break Mud Wrap, 80min Shiatsu/ Swedish Massage
Our Coffee Break Mud Wrap combines soothing heat therapy with refreshing exfoliation and detoxification. Our “Mud” mixture will reinvigorate the senses with sweet earthy aromas of Arabica Coffee, honey, and bergamot, among others. Combine this with an 80min Shiatsu or Swedish massage and Mom will leave feeling rejuvenated and ready to go!
Gift suggestion: Espresso Mud Body Scrub, Sicilian Bergamot Body Lotion, Plant Stem Cell Serum
On The Go Mom:
On The Go Mom is usually busy as a bee, with a daily mile long to-do list. She loves getting things done, and try as she might, finding time for herself just isn’t a top priority most of the time.
Treatment suggestions: The Geisha Facial® , GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation, Collagen Mask add on
Since On The Go Mom is likely hopping cabs, catching trains and walking, er running, through the busy city streets, her skin is also susceptible to innumerable free radicals (airborne impurities) in the air. Over time this can age the skin, so we suggest treatments such as The Geisha Facial ®, Gentle Waves treatment, or even adding on a collagen mask to any of our facials to stimulate collagen production, encourage cellular renewal and shrink pores.
Gift suggestion: VITAMIN C REVITALIZING COMPLEX
Lady of the Manor Mom:
Lady of the Manor Mom usually, quite literally, has her hands full engineering ways to keep the home and family in tip top shape. She’s always coming up with new and better ways to improve productivity and time management. She’s super practical and doesn’t usually have time for some much needed pampering and relaxation.
Treatment suggestions: Signature Micro Facial, EYELASH PERM, Sugar Scrub Manicure + Bamboo Scrub Pedicure
Our Signature Micro Facial is our most popular facial with the most pampering. This facial combines deep cleansing with face, scalp, hand and shoulder massage, as well as reflexology treatment (foot massage). Combine this facial with an Eyelash Perm and nails, and Mom will feel like a Queen!
Gift suggestions: SHIZUKA NY MOISTURIZER, Lavender Honey Balancing Mist, ON THE CUFF
The health-conscious Mom loves to feed herself with all-natural foods and products like fresh juices, whole-grain breads, organic vegetables, and prefers using paraben-free facial washes and soaps. She wants to stay as healthy as possible, especially in a big (dirty) city like NYC.
Treatment suggestions: The Natural Face Lift Facial, Nagomi Manicure + Sakura Pedicure, Far Infrared Sauna
The Nagomi Manicure and Sakura Pedicure are SNY’s signature nail treatments using only natural ingredients free of harsh chemicals and additives that are mixed right in front of you. Ingredients include fresh lemon, olive oil, soy, rice, and sake to exfoliate, hydrate and protect the skin and nails. Combine this with the Far Infrared Sauna and The Natural Face Lift Facial which uses Naturopathica’s high-performance, all natural and paraben-free products. These treatments will leave Mom feeling well-balanced and glowing!
Gift suggestion: SICILIAN BERGAMOT BODY LOTION
Loves to Spa Mom:
The Loves to Spa Mom, well, she loves to spa! She finds comfort and peace in all things pampering.
Treatment suggestion: DAY OF BEAUTY
During our Mother’s Day Promotion May 3rd – 19th, 2013 we are offering a SNY exclusive “Day of Beauty” 4-hour spa package* that includes:
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure + added Reflexology
Gift suggestion: Maddison Ave pure-scented soy candle
*This spa package includes a complimentary spa candle for Mom to take home!
Shizuka gives tips to Fox News Magazine for Spring Cleaning For Your Skin!
Unveiling brighter skin from underneath layers of dead cells and oil helps achieve a softer, more youthful complexion. Shizuka Bernstein, a New York City-based aesthetician offers the following guide to eliminating dry, dead skin from the harsh winter:
- Cleanse your skin twice with your cleanser and lukewarm water.
- Apply a hot towel on your face and leave it on for a while to open the pores and soften the skin. Repeat the same action with another hot towel.
- If you have a good enzyme based exfoliator at home, use that. If not, mix lemon juice, honey and rosehip seed powder. Apply the mix to your face and massage gently for three to five minutes.
- Rinse off it lukewarm water.
- Moisturize your skin with your own moisturizer and eye cream.
The First Lady Michelle Obama showed up for inaugural weekend sporting a new flirty hair style with bangs. The Daily Beast reported that Ms. Obama jokingly responded the bangs were a result of a ‘midlife crises’. Scrutinizing beauty experts were left wondering what other beauty-related lengths women will go to during a midlife crises.
But as far as these experts are concerned, bangs just scream beauty:
John Barrett, founder of the Bergdorf Goodman salon says, “If done correctly, [sporting bangs or deciding to add color] can shave years off of a woman’s appearance.”
Marshall Lin, a stylist at the FrÃ©dÃ©ric Fekkai Salon in SoHo, agrees, “Bangs can add a youthful, modern edge to a style.”
President Obama proclaimed them “the most significant event of [the inaugural] weekend.”
What are your thoughts? Do bangs enhance or hide a women’s beauty?