Memorial Day is just a few weeks away, bringing with it the warm summer months to follow. Here are some tips to looking and feeling your best throughout summer 2013!
1. Screen your skin!: In order to protect against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays, generously coat all exposed skin with sunscreen, preferably broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher. Also, just applying once isn’t enough–remember to reapply every two hours, especially after swimming or extensive sweating.
Related blog post>> Top Summer Skin Mistake
2. Post lunch: Most people forget that the skin on your lips is also susceptible to sun damage, so be sure to wear lip balm with SPF. Don’t forget to reapply especially after eating or drinking.
3. Made in shades: Wear sunglasses with lenses that provide UV protection. Too much sun over time can actually damage your eyes, not to mention the fine lines that can accrue from too much squinting.
4. Exfoliate & moisturize!: Show off soft smooth skin by making it a habit to exfoliate regularly and moisturize daily. When you exfoliate, dead skin cells are sloughed off revealing smoother skin. Moisturizing everyday will not only keep your skin hydrated, but will help your skin retain water and look smoother. SNY Moisturizer goes on light and silky and provides the benefits of immediate hydration.
5. Wax not wane: Consider waxing to get rid of unwanted body hair during the summer months. In most cases, a waxing will last for 4-6 weeks. IPL (or Intense Pulsed Light) is considered a more permanent hair removal solution, however, IPL treatments make the skin more sensitive to sunlight. Because of this, the procedure is best left for the cooler winter months when skin is less likely to be exposed to direct sunlight. If you do receive IPL during the summer, take care to wear protective clothing and reapply SPF 30 or higher regularly to the treated areas.
Related blog post>> 5 Summer Waxing Tips from Shizuka NY
6. Footsie play: Get a spa pedicure with exfoliation to get your feet sandal ready! Have fun and choose colors that compliment your sandals or add-on a bit of reflexology to soothe and recharge tired feet.
7. Aloe me: Keep some aloe vera or aloe-based ointment or moisturizer on hand in case of accidental sunburn to skin. Aloe will help relieve the pain and can help the skin heal faster. Continue to apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to the affected area(s).
8. Daily cleanse: Be sure to cleanse skin properly each day to keep pores free from sweat and sunscreen build-up. Sweating actually purifies your skin by releasing bacteria and other toxins through your pores. However, when you let the sweat dry on your skin, the sitting bacteria can lead to breakouts and major acne. SNY Clay Cleanser is great for summertime cleansing and the cooling effect of peppermint will leave your skin cool and refreshed.
Related blog post>> Product Highlight: Shizuka NY Clay Cleanser
9. G’day: As the sun beats down on you, especially during the scorching afternoon hours, be sure to wear a hat or scarf to protect your scalp from burning. Scarves in light colored fabrics such as white, khaki, or pastels will help keep you cool by reflecting heat instead of absorbing it like dark colors. Brimmed hats made of natural fibers such as straw, linen or cotton will help your scalp breathe and will help protect your face as well. If hats and scarves aren’t your thing, consider using an umbrella instead. It will keep you cool and help protect your skin, scalp AND hair from ultimate summertime burnout!
10. Bugs beware: To avoid unsightly bug bites and itchy rashes from mosquitoes, ticks, and gnats, consider trying natural alternatives to chemical-based repellents. Apply any combination of essential oils like cedar oil, citronella oil, clove oil, geranium oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, and even the juice from garlic cloves will help keep mosquitoes and other bugs (and maybe even other humans too) at bay.
11. HydrateHydrateHydrate: Drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic beverages will help keep your skin and hair hydrated and healthy. Alcohol tends to dehydrate the skin and hair, so be sure to replenish your system with plenty of water and electrolytes after every mojito and margarita!
Even though Black Friday is just weeks away, there are still great bargains to be had beforehand. TODAY.com regularly showcases discounted buys on popular gifts and winter garments. As the weather gets cooler, it’s important to bundle up to protect your skin from the brittle elements, especially if you receive IPL Hair Removal treatments during our November promotion.
After receiving an IPL treatment it’s important to protect and keep the treated area(s) covered to prevent irritation and further redness from occurring.
>> We love hearing from you! How has protecting your treatment area helped it to heal?
Summer’s finally here! We put together a few tips to help you optimize this season’s wax routine:
1. Wax first, tan second. Wax before getting a tan — wait at least 24 hours before spray tanning or bronzing. Since waxing also exfoliates the skin, it will strip away any color application. Waxing also tends to irritate the skin so if you have sensitive skin, it’s best to wait 3-4 days (or until your skin recovers completely) before tanning.
2. Down time. Waxed skin is highly irritable, especially to sweat, sun exposure and hot water. Wait at least a couple hours before working out or taking a hot shower. If you’re in the sun be sure to take precautions by covering up and using plenty of SPF.
3. Wait. For a wax to be successful, hair needs to be at least ¼ of an inch long. Try waiting 2 – 4 weeks before getting waxed to allow for sufficient hair length.
4. Exfoliate at home. In order to prevent ingrown hairs, wait three days then begin exfoliating the area daily. This will help the hair grow back evenly for your next waxing.
5. No more razors. Shaving can actually irritate hair follicles negating the benefits of waxing. If you stick to a waxing-only regimen, you’ll notice over time that the hair will grow back thinner and finer. In most cases, a waxing will last between 4 to 6 weeks.
If you’ve never waxed before or are concerned about how your skin may react, feel free to call us at (212) 644-7400 to schedule a consultation with Shizuka.
TONY lists the best spa deals that can easily be squeezed into a busy NYC schedule, including Shizuka New York Day Spa’s lunchtime spa deals on Japanese-style shiatsu massage and Brazilian bikini waxing.
You’ll want to inhale your turkey sandwich at your desk, so you can sneak off to this midtown haven for a mind-numbing shiatsu massage…The golden-hued space is run by aesthetician Shizuka Bernstein, who incorporates elements from her native country of Japanâ€”for instance, you’ll be provided with a yukata, or lightweight kimono, to wear, and receive herbal green tea and rice snacks posttreatment. The latter should help you avoid experiencing afternoon slump later on at your desk.
The possible combos are endless, so take a big step toward a smoother you with this great special. When requesting an appointment online, please use the promo code “March Madness.”
Okay, so we know it’s cold outside in NYC, and it’s hard to even imagine summer when it’s snowing, but now is actually the perfect time for Laser Hair Removal. Take 10% off all laser hair removal in our NYC spa through March 31st, 2010 when you mention this website.
Shizuka New York Day Spa uses intense pulsed light (IPL) to permanently reduce unwanted hair in as little as five minutes. Because IPL treatment can make the skin more sensitive to sunlight, it is best performed during the winter months when the sun is less strong and when we are less likely to be outdoors.
IPL laser hair removal is great for women who want to toss out their razors and achieve smooth and groomed underarms and bikini lines. It is also perfect for men who want to permanently remove excessive back hair, or who suffer from persistent ingrown hairs in the beard area.
Schedule an IPL laser hair removal appointment today by calling Shizuka New York Day Spa at 212.644.7400 or emailing [email protected]/development.
Celebrity facialist Shizuka Bernstein spoke with FoxNews.com recently about ‘manscaping’ and current trends in male grooming. Over the past few years, her spa, Shizuka New York Day Spa, has seen a steady growth in the demand for men’s beauty treatments, including men’s facials, manicures & pedicures, and hair removal treatments including laser hair removal, electrolysis and waxing. The following is an excerpt. Read the full ‘manscaping’ article here.
‘Manscaping’ – 3 Ways to Get Rid of Unwanted Hair
There was a time, back in the 1970s, when a hairy chest and a few gold chains were all the rage in men’s fashion.
But the birth of “metrosexuality” over the past decade has men striving for a “smoother” look, paving the way for a movement called “manscaping.”
Men have been going for men’s facials, manicures and pedicures — grooming procedures once limited to women. And one of the more recent trends involves the removal of unwanted hair, mostly on the chest and back.
Some men try shaving the unwanted hair off, but quickly tire of the daily requirements of shaving and soon head to the salon to seek out alternatives.
“Men have been coming in for facials for a while, but I would say it’s really the last 10 years that men have been doing hair removal,” said Shizuka Bernstein, owner of Shizuka New York Day Spa in Manhattan.