We all know that slow deep breathing relieves stress, promotes more restful sleep, and enhances the mood– but did you know that when we practice deep breathing for healthy skin, we are actually slowing down the skin’s aging process? The next time you practice deep breathing, you’ll also be rejuvenating your skin from the inside out.
Practice deep breathing for healthy skin
Slow, rhythmic breathing will help regulate the flow of oxygen and CO2 in your blood stream, ease anxiety by slowing the heart rate, and ensure your circulation is carrying the optimum amount of nutrients around the body.
Providing your skin with the proper pH balance helps keep your complexion even and skin smooth. Practicing deep breathing also lowers cortisol and lactate levels, which the body produces when stressed. These chemicals lower the skin’s defenses to toxins and free radicals. By “just breathing”, you are actually balancing out the body’s alkalinity and increasing oxygenated blood flow throughout the body. As oxygenated blood flows, the body cleanses itself of toxins, reducing the amount of free radicals, and thereby slows down the aging process.
Just another reason to take a breather every now and then!
Related blog posts:
Green tea and chocolate for smoother softer skin
We all know green tea is great for the skin, but chocolate too?
Green tea and chocolate contain flavonoids, an antioxidant that protects skin against free radicals. Free radicals build up due to environmental hazards like pollution and sunlight and prematurely age and damage the skin.
Ingesting flavonoids is a great way to target free radicals and potentially ward off cancer and inflammation as well.
Green tea also contains a high concentration of polyphenols, chemicals with potent antioxidant properties that also fight off free radicals!
You can also use green tea bags topically to:
- soothe sunburns
- soothe bug bites
- reduce puffy eyes and dark under eye circles
- calms skin after shaving
Related blog posts:
India’s newspaper, The Business Standard, reports on the efficacy of Anti-Aging Facials and touts Shizuka new york’s The Geisha Facial® in their article titled: Anti-Aging Facials can Save you from Losing that Youthful Appearance.
“Manhattan’s Shizuka New York Day Spa specializes in the Nightingale facial in which bird droppings, which removes dead cells, are slathered onto a client’s face to give a youthful appearance.”
With a wide range of facials and treatments available to choose from, Shizuka Bernstein advises on the best time to receive an anti-aging facial:
“Basically, anti-aging facials are unnecessary before the age of 25. These treatments are most effective once the skin begins to age, which is generally in someone’s 30′s (depending on their lifestyle, genetics, etc.). With that said, it’s never too late to begin an anti-aging regimen.”
Related blog post:
Click here for more information about Shizuka new york’s Anti-Aging Facials>>
The Limoneira Company recognized Shizuka as a Beauty Opinion Leader in their February 2014 newsletter. Shizuka has been offering her expert advice on skin care and beauty for 20 years.
Limoneira’s February Newsletter focuses on ways to promote natural beauty with lemons through their UNLEASH THE NATURAL POWER OF LEMONS CAMPAIGN. Check out Shizuka’s tips for hydrating skin naturally using a lemon juice face mask.
Related Blog Post: How to Hydrate Dry Skin Naturally
From the report titled, Trends-In-Sight: U.S. Spa Market Activity :
In the beauty and spa industry, R&D specialists and marketers
alike look to nature for product inspiration. The newest spa treat-
ments are inspired by birds, mollusks and insects! The Shizuka Spa
in New York City offers “The Geisha Facial,” also known as a “Bird
Poop Facial,” which is a Japanese treatment made with Asian Night-
ingale excrement and rice bran. It is believed that the bird waste
contains a natural enzyme from its seed diet and this enzyme is
said to smooth and soften the skin.
Click here for more information about The Geisha Facial®
For centuries, geishas’ beauty has been likened to their mysteriously flawless skin. Geisha beauty secrets reveal that simple ingredients native to Japan like rice bran, camellia oil, and green tea work together to protect, nourish, and brighten skin. These and other ingredients create the cornerstone of time-honored geisha beauty.
Geisha Beauty Secrets
Many describe geisha’s skin as mochi-hada or baby skin because it resembles skin so soft and flawless like a baby’s. The secret to their flawless skin attributes back to their skincare routine that’s been passed down for centuries.
At one time, the heavy makeup worn by geishas contained harsh chemicals like lead and zinc which led to severe skin problems. Eventually, they discovered nightingale droppings as a natural way to not only remove the makeup but to retexturize and strengthen the bonds of the skin at a cellular level.
Traditional Skincare: Simple Ingredients
After Shizuka learned that geishas used simple ingredients easily sourced throughout Japan to care for their skin, she carefully studied the effects of these ingredients along with her husband, the dermatologist, Dr. Robert Bernstein. From their findings, Shizuka created The Geisha Facial® , which incorporates simple Japanese ingredients like rice bran, camellia oil, green tea, and uguisi no fun or nightingale droppings.
Deep Cleansing Facial
Since ancient times the enzymes from nightingale droppings proved to deeply cleanse and lift away harsh chemicals from the skin leaving it renewed and dewy each time. (Think of it like an enzyme peel). By mixing the droppings proportionally with powdery rice bran, Shizuka created a fine enzyme exfoliate that’s been lauded the world over.
NY Weekly Japion featured Shizuka Bernstein, owner of SHIZUKA new york Day Spa, in their January 10th, 2014 issue.
In the article, Shizuka offers DIY skincare tips to hydrate dry skin naturally and effectively at home for plump skin throughout the winter months.
Follow these steps to nourish and hydrate dry skin naturally:
1. After washing your face, warm a wet towel in the microwave and wrap it around the face. This will open pores and will feel very relaxing.
2. Next, massage the face with jojoba oil, almond oil, and 1-2 drops of essential oil. Use upward circular movements whenever performing a facial massage to help lift and rejuvenate the skin.
3. Make a face mask by mixing together lemon juice, honey, and a small amount of grated apple. Shizuka says, “the acid from the apple will help slough away dead skin”. Leave on for 3-5 minutes before washing away.
4. Wrap the face with another hot towel to wipe away any excess from the mask and warm the skin.
5. Finish by applying a moisturizer that’s been chilled in the refrigerator. This tightens pores while sealing in moisture.
Additionally, Shizuka suggests taking daily measures to ensure skin stays hydrated such as using a humidifier and drinking water after consuming alcohol.
For a related spa treatment, SHIZUKA New York Day Spa offers the Plant Stem Cell Facial ($ 160). This facial combines Naturopathica’s powerful anti-ager, Plant Stem Cell Serum, with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies for a deeply hydrating facial–this facial is perfect for hydrating dry winter skin!
Related blog posts:
Winter inevitably brings with it the much dreaded cold season.
One physical symptom of the cold that gives away you’re sick (besides a red nose!) is dry dehydrated skin. While we all know it takes time for a cold to subside, there are few things you can do to keep your skin hydrated and healthy while your immune system recovers.
Winter Skin Care Tips for When you Have a Cold
- Cool down: Even though a long hot shower can feel heavenly while the steamy water opens up sinuses and soothes body aches, the hot water can actually strip skin of moisture and dry it out.
- Gently cleanse: Instead of using harsh soaps, instead stick with mild cleansers for sensitive skin. These are usually fragrance-free and gentle on the skin, helping it hold onto its natural oils.
- Act fast: Moisturize skin often, especially after showering. Be sure to moisturize within 5 minutes after showering. Pores are most open at this time making them ready to receive and lock in moisture.
- Protect yourself: Always wear protective clothing to shield exposed skin from the windy dry elements. If skin is left unprotected, flaky itchy skin can develop.
- Regulate the air: Use a humidifier indoors to keep air moist. This will help regulate your skin and sinuses when you come in from the dry air outside.
Whether you’re a facial veteran or are about to get your first facial ever—knowing how to prepare your skin for your treatment will help extend the life of the facial keeping your face aglow longer.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for a facial:
- Know your skin. While our skilled estheticians will let you know the best treatment upon examining your skin, it’s best to already know which areas you’d like to target. For example: Tone down oily skin, target acne prone areas, focus on lifting, deep cleansing with pore extraction, etc.. Communicate this to your esthetician and your treatment will be specially catered to your needs.
- No scrubbing. Skip harsh cleansers or facial exfoliants before your treatment. Your facial will consist of exfoliation and most likely pore extraction as well, so leave the dirty work to a trained professional!
- Save new products for later. Just clean your face following your usual cleansing routine. It’s best not to experiment with new products right before a facial so that your skin can be examined in its “usual” state. Using new products may have adverse reactions on your skin (i.e. over drying, inflammation, etc.), so it’s best to hold off until after your treatment.
- To steam or not to steam. This is a personal preference that doesn’t positively or negatively affect your treatment. Some like to use a sauna before a facial to relax and open up pores. While this is an option, it’s not necessary since your face will be steamed and cleaned for an hour or more anyway.
It’s never too early to start getting regular facials for optimum skin health! Shizuka began getting facial treatments in her 20’s and says “facials have helped keep my skin clear and firm throughout the years”.
What special measures do you take to prepare your skin for a facial?
The holidays can bring with it unwonted stress, causing you to look tired even if you’re not!
This happens because facial muscles store tension much like muscles in the body do, so a tired expression can actually start to feel “normal” for your face.
The next time you’re feeling zapped of energy or just need to revive a tired face, try this spa technique (offered in all Shizuka New York Spa Facials) to wake up tired facial muscles and go from Grinch to jolly St. Nick in no time!
At Shizuka New York, a facial massage is incorporated into each facial treatment to help stimulate collagen production and new cell regeneration. It also “wakes up” tired facial muscles making you look more awake by increasing blood flow and bringing oxygen to the skin.
A facial massage works wonders to relax overactive muscles and softens the expression so you APPEAR AND FEEL refreshed.
How to give yourself a Stress-Busting Facial Massage:
Start by applying a moisturizer, cream, or essential oil such as lavender to your face…
1. Begin at the cheeks. Use your fingers or knuckles to draw big circles around your cheeks, be sure to always push the skin upward.
2. Using upward strokes, firmly rub the skin from the mid jaw to the cheekbone. Apply pressure to the cheekbones for a few seconds.
3. Massage smile lines by starting from the corners of the mouth and ending at the corners of the nose.
4. Using your fingertips, apply pressure to the brow bones to lift and open the eyes. Apply light pressure around the eye sockets and out to the temples and up to the forehead.
5. To plump lips, use forefinger and thumb to pinch upper and lower lips to stimulate blood flow.
6. To end, drain lymphatic fluid from the face to the collarbone. Place fingertips under the eyes on either side of the bridge of your nose. Gently apply pressure in a long flowing motion across the under eye area to the temples, down the side of face (along sideburns), and down the neck to the collarbone.
Looking for the perfect gift this holiday season?
Our luxuriously silky SHIZUKA new york Moisturizer from Japan is packed with natural anti-agers like green tea, soy collagen, pearl protein, and natto bean extracts to immediately hydrate, brighten, and strengthen your skin.
Pair it with a spa store item like an aromatherapy pure soy candle from Maddison Ave for the ultimate holiday gift to remember.
Soaking in a tub of hot mineral water relaxes the body and soothes nerves, and is also believed to heal diseases, as well as common aches and pains.
Balneotherapy, or treatment of diseases with baths, has been enjoyed by Japanese for centuries as evidenced by the thousands of onsens or bath houses that exist there. Traditionally, most onsens occur outdoors on top of naturally occurring hot spring water reserves. Outdoor onsens allow the visitor to have a quiet soak while communing with nature with views of mountains, forests, or the sea.
Japanese and foreigners alike flock to onsens year-round as places of refuge from a hectic city life, a way to spend quality time with family and friends, or just to feel rejuvenated by the water’s active mineral content.
You can create your very own onsen experience at home by adding onsen bath salts to hot bath water. Salts can be purchased at any Japanese grocery store or market and may be lightly scented to resemble a region’s onsen experience.
Read our related blog post for more bath ideas: The Art of the Bath
Don’t forget, Daylight’s Savings is right around the corner which means an extra hour of beauty sleep awaits!
It’s the perfect time to rethink your bedtime routine for a more restful and naturally beautifying sleep. While you sleep, your skin is actually undergoing a deep restorative process, expediting the skin’s natural healing and rejuvenating process. When you’re sleep deprived you’re more likely to wake up with under eye bags or a tired complexion. So the more restful your repose, the better the morning will be for you AND your skin!
Here are some tips to help promote a more restful (& beautifying) slumber:
- Light an aromatherapy candle at least 30 minutes prior to bedtime. This will ensure the essential oils have enough time to warm and permeate the air. Let the soothing scents guide you to dreamland.
- Lavender is a popular aromatherapy scent due to its calming and soothing properties. Mist your face, pillow, and/or eye mask with a lavender mist before going to bed.
- For a dull or tired complexion try using nighttime serums to promote cellular renewal:
Apply Shizuka New York’s Nighttime Anti-Aging Repair 1 & 2 to clean skin on alternating days. These products work together to even out skin tone and texture while targeting fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-Aging Night Repair 1 contains retinol and Vitamin C to retexturize and brighten skin while you sleep.
- Anti-Aging Night Repair 2 contains a powerful blast of vitamins, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid to smooth, plump, and firm skin.
- Target sagging skin by using Plant Stem Cell Serum (signature product of the Natural Face Lift Facial). This potent product utilizes active plant stem cells to plump and firm skin.
- For tired eyes, try a firming eye cream such as DCL’s AHA Revitalizing Eye Cream to moisturize and firm the fine skin around your eyes.
What’s your restful bedtime routine?
Every now and then a quick cat nap can do wonders to boost energy and reset the body and mind. Along the same lines, a quick spa treatment can be just what you need to rest and recharge amidst a hectic schedule.
Check out these popular Express Spa treatments below:
A single color manicure or pedicure includes cuticle care, foot exfoliation, buffing/color, and moisturizing. The sugar scrub and & bamboo scrub treatments include additional hand and foot exfoliation and light massage.
Basic Manicure – 20 min.
Basic Pedicure – 35 min.
Sugar Scrub Manicure – 30 min.
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure – 45 min.
Massages are typically enjoyed at 50 or 80 minute increments but we also offer shorter versions for 25 and 35 minutes–perfect for anyone new to massage therapy.
Swedish – 25 min. & 35 min.
Shiatsu – 25 min. & 35 min.
Reflexology (Foot massage) – 25 min. & 35 min.
Deep Tissue – 35 min.
Omedeta (Maternity) – 25 min.
This full body exfoliation treatment sloughs off dead skin cells leaving your skin soft and supple.
Body Scrub – 20 min.
Our most basic NYC spa facial incorporates Shizuka New York Day Spa’s all-natural skin care products and includes cleansing, exfoliation, and extraction.
Express Facial – 30 min.
These facials incorporate GentleWaves®, a facial rejuvenation treatment that uses LED lights to shrink pores, fine lines and wrinkles, and stimulate collagen production.
GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – 30 min.
Collagen Boost Facial – 40 min.
Once you’ve decided on the perfect skin care cocktail, be sure to apply each product by layering them much like you would layer coats and scarves over thinner sweaters and shirts to help seal in warmth. In much the same way, applying creams and moisturizers over lighter water-based products helps seal in the vitamins and moisture your skin naturally craves.
How to layer skin care products:
- Start with clean skin.
- Apply any specialty prescription creams, gels, etc.
1. Anti-oxidant or vitamin rich serum
1. Anti-aging serum or cream
Tell us: What’s in your skin care cocktail?
Kissing lines, or perioral lines, are wrinkles that form around the mouth by way of repetitive facial expressions.
As skin matures, it loses its elasticity and fine lines begin to form and deepen around the corners of the mouth and above the upper lip.
An effective anti-aging measure to prevent these lines from deepening is a routine peel or exfoliating treatment. Chemical, enzyme, and crystal peels (microdermabrasion) work to slough away dead skin cells revealing a brighter, firmer layer of skin.
For best results, opt for a spa treatment over an at-home kit. Spas use professional grade products which are more potent than those sold in stores. Plus you can relax knowing the procedure is being administered by a trained skin care expert!
Other tips to prevent lip lines:
- Refrain from smoking
- Apply sunscreen regularly
(product recommendation: Chemfree Superblock)
- Keep lips hydrated by using a lip balm
(product recommendation: Honey Vanilla Lip Balm )
- Apply an anti-aging cream or serum daily
(product recommendation: Primrose Eye & Upper Lip Treatment Cream)
Check out our current spa deals >>
When the seasons change, so should your skin care routine. For example, during the fall and winter months, the air is very dry so your skin craves extra hydration. Naturopathica’s Plant Stem Cell Serum works with the change in seasons to jump start and enhance the skin’s firming and hydrating properties.
This signature product of the Natural Face Lift Facial* utilizes potent anti-aging components of these 100% natural ingredients to treat premature aging, inflammation, fine lines and wrinkles, and sagging skin:
Plant Stem Cells- taken from the wound tissue of plants, improves collagen synthesis, hydration, suppleness and elasticity.
Echinacea Angustifolia Stem Cell- plumps skin by preserving skin’s elasticity and firmness.
Buddleja Davidii (Butterfly Bush) Stem Cell- helps to strengthen and regenerate skin cells, protecting against signs of aging.
Acai- this berry’s potent bounty of anti-oxidants, Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids, Vitamin C and polyphenols promotes supple and healthy skin as it protects against free radicals.
Helichrysium- soothes inflammation and protects against broken capillaries.
Naturopathica’s Plant Stem Cell Serum is recommended for use for 30 days at the beginning of every season.
*The Natural Face Lift Facial is a 60min hi-tech facial that’s also naturally aromatic; leaving you not only with a fresh and radiant complexion, but also feeling pampered and relaxed. Ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies send serums deep into the skin’s epidermal layers for deep hydration and lifting.
Benefit from the the Plant Stem Cell Serum by applying a dime-sized amount to your skin every night for 30 days, repeat every 90 days >>
Check out our current Spa Deals here>>
A French science magazine for kids, “Science & Vie découvertes”, includes The Geisha Facial® in its latest October 2013 issue!
For smoother, brighter, and younger looking skin, Microdermabrasion and Chemical Peels are two go-to methods that effectively “peel” away signs of aging. While each treatment method is different, both effectively help to eliminate wrinkles, hyperpigmentation (sun & age spots), enlarged pores, and blemishes.
Peels are specialized exfoliation treatments that, conveniently, have little or no down time. Peels may be repeated every 2-3 weeks until the desired effect is reached.
For optimum rejuvenation and to increase your skin’s health and vibrancy, peels are recommended once a month to coincide with its natural and continual 4-5 week renewal process.
DIY products can be used at home, but they are less potent than professional-grade peels. Read on for a treatment guide by Shizuka New York’s skin experts:
Go for a Crystal Peel (Microdermabrasion) if your skin is:
- Sun-damaged (brown spots)
A fine crystal powder blasts across the skin’s surface to physically break up and exfoliate dead skin while a suction simultaneously vacuums the powder and dead skin away from the face revealing a new “polished” layer of skin.
Crystal Peels are ideal for unclogging pores and freeing skin from bacteria that may be lurking on the surface. If you have acne, it’s best to stay away from Crystal Peels since the procedure is likely to spread bacteria across the face. Crystal Peels are also NOT recommended if you have sensitive skin, broken capillaries, or rosacea (see IPL below).
At Shizuka New York, our Crystal Peel treatment includes a light layer of salicylic or lactic acid (depending on your skin type) to soften the skin’s surface for the microdermabrasion to follow. This customized prep allows for a very thorough and complete exfoliation process.
Go for a Chemical Peel if your skin is:
-Blotchy (uneven complexion)
Chemical Peels utilize an acid solution combining TCA, Salicylic and Lactic acids to break down and exfoliate dead skin cells for removal. Chemical Peels are recommended for all skin types, especially acneic skin as it lifts away bacteria that has settled into pores. They also lighten brown spots promoting an even complexion.
At Shizuka New York we offer two chemical peels: Lunchtime Peel & Total Skin Rejuvenation. The Lunchtime Peel has very little or no downtime. If minor peeling/flaking occurs, make up may be used to conceal it. The Total Skin Rejuvenation treatment will cause peeling/flaking of the skin for 5-7 days.
DIY Chemical Peel products~
If you have sensitive skin, Enzyme Peels offer a gentler alternative to Chemical Peels. They’re contracted from fruit enzymes and work the same way Crystal and Chemical Peels do but are much milder. You can add on a customized Enzyme Peel to any Shizuka New York facial treatment for $30.
DIY Enzyme Peel products~
We also offer IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) which penetrates deeper layers of skin, or dermis, than peels. Short pulses of light target broken capillaries, rosacea, and hyperpigmentation (sun and age spots) while leaving the skin’s surface intact. IPL also aids in skin rejuvenation as it stimulates collagen production.
Post-peel skin care:
Whether you choose a Peel or IPL, it’s highly recommended to apply sunscreen before going outdoors, both to protect your new skin and the treatment’s results.
The application of Epidermal Growth Factor gel is also highly recommended for advanced healing. EGF gel aids new skin generation with nourishing hydration, while preventing excessive peeling/flaking.
Check out current Spa Deals HERE>>
Want a radiant and glowing complexion that lasts throughout all the Fashion Week frenzy?
Up your Fashion Week skin care routine with a Collagen Fiber Mask chock-full of anti-oxidants, soothing aloe vera, and skin brighteners.
Most SHIZUKA new york spa facials include a customized Collagen Fiber Mask treatment for deeply hydrated, smooth, and positively glowing skin.
Collagen Fiber Masks serve to not only replenish lost collagen, but they also promote further collagen production, leaving your skin smooth and firm long after your treatment.
Want a quick collagen infusion? Add a Collagen Fiber Mask to the Express or Classic Facial for an additional $30.
See our current Spa Deals here >>
How do you prep your skin for a busy week?