Don’t forget, Daylight’s Savings is right around the corner which means an extra hour of beauty sleep awaits!
It’s the perfect time to rethink your bedtime routine for a more restful and naturally beautifying sleep. While you sleep, your skin is actually undergoing a deep restorative process, expediting the skin’s natural healing and rejuvenating process. When you’re sleep deprived you’re more likely to wake up with under eye bags or a tired complexion. So the more restful your repose, the better the morning will be for you AND your skin!
Here are some tips to help promote a more restful (& beautifying) slumber:
- Light an aromatherapy candle at least 30 minutes prior to bedtime. This will ensure the essential oils have enough time to warm and permeate the air. Let the soothing scents guide you to dreamland.
- Lavender is a popular aromatherapy scent due to its calming and soothing properties. Mist your face, pillow, and/or eye mask with a lavender mist before going to bed.
- For a dull or tired complexion try using nighttime serums to promote cellular renewal:
Apply Shizuka New York’s Nighttime Anti-Aging Repair 1 & 2 to clean skin on alternating days. These products work together to even out skin tone and texture while targeting fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-Aging Night Repair 1 contains retinol and Vitamin C to retexturize and brighten skin while you sleep.
- Anti-Aging Night Repair 2 contains a powerful blast of vitamins, antioxidants, and hyaluronic acid to smooth, plump, and firm skin.
- Target sagging skin by using Plant Stem Cell Serum (signature product of the Natural Face Lift Facial). This potent product utilizes active plant stem cells to plump and firm skin.
- For tired eyes, try a firming eye cream such as DCL’s AHA Revitalizing Eye Cream to moisturize and firm the fine skin around your eyes.
What’s your restful bedtime routine?
Once you’ve decided on the perfect skin care cocktail, be sure to apply each product by layering them much like you would layer coats and scarves over thinner sweaters and shirts to help seal in warmth. In much the same way, applying creams and moisturizers over lighter water-based products helps seal in the vitamins and moisture your skin naturally craves.
How to layer skin care products:
- Start with clean skin.
- Apply any specialty prescription creams, gels, etc.
1. Anti-oxidant or vitamin rich serum
1. Anti-aging serum or cream
Tell us: What’s in your skin care cocktail?
When the seasons change, so should your skin care routine. For example, during the fall and winter months, the air is very dry so your skin craves extra hydration. Naturopathica’s Plant Stem Cell Serum works with the change in seasons to jump start and enhance the skin’s firming and hydrating properties.
This signature product of the Natural Face Lift Facial* utilizes potent anti-aging components of these 100% natural ingredients to treat premature aging, inflammation, fine lines and wrinkles, and sagging skin:
Plant Stem Cells- taken from the wound tissue of plants, improves collagen synthesis, hydration, suppleness and elasticity.
Echinacea Angustifolia Stem Cell- plumps skin by preserving skin’s elasticity and firmness.
Buddleja Davidii (Butterfly Bush) Stem Cell- helps to strengthen and regenerate skin cells, protecting against signs of aging.
Acai- this berry’s potent bounty of anti-oxidants, Omega-6 and Omega-9 fatty acids, Vitamin C and polyphenols promotes supple and healthy skin as it protects against free radicals.
Helichrysium- soothes inflammation and protects against broken capillaries.
Naturopathica’s Plant Stem Cell Serum is recommended for use for 30 days at the beginning of every season.
*The Natural Face Lift Facial is a 60min hi-tech facial that’s also naturally aromatic; leaving you not only with a fresh and radiant complexion, but also feeling pampered and relaxed. Ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies send serums deep into the skin’s epidermal layers for deep hydration and lifting.
Benefit from the the Plant Stem Cell Serum by applying a dime-sized amount to your skin every night for 30 days, repeat every 90 days >>
Check out our current Spa Deals here>>
Want a radiant and glowing complexion just in time for Fashion Week?
A Collagen Fiber Mask chock-full of anti-oxidants, soothing aloe vera, and skin brighteners may be just what you seek.
Most SHIZUKA new york spa facials include a customized Collagen Fiber Mask treatment for deeply hydrated, smooth, and positively glowing skin.
Collagen Fiber Masks serve to not only replenish lost collagen, but they also promote further collagen production, leaving your skin smooth and firm long after your treatment.
Want a quick collagen infusion? Add a Collagen Fiber Mask to the Express or Classic Facial for an additional $30.
See our current Spa Deals here >>
How do you prep your skin for a busy week?
Summer is all about being outside; whether it’s building sandcastles on the beach, picnicking in the park, enjoying a backyard barbeque, or just basking on a some stepsâ€”outdoors is the place to be!
While the warm sun feels wonderful on your skin, it can really dry it out (even if you’re in the shade!), eventually leaving your skin starving for some nutrient-rich moisturizing.
In the name of summer and all things relaxing, we came up with a list of our most popular “sun repair” spa treatments that will heal and soothe sun drenched skin, providing deep hydration and relief (& will prepare you for some more fun in the sun!)
For the Face:
- The Geisha Facial - The Geisha Facial has received a lot of press due to its much lauded ingredient, Uguisu no Fun or Nightingale droppings. But many forget is that this is a full service facial including a hydrating camellia oil facial massage and antioxidant-rich Green Tea Collagen mask. The mask works to reduce signs of aging by encouraging further collagen production and saturates the skin with free radical fighting antioxidants.
- GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – This facial incorporates specially coded LED lights that promote a process called photomodulation in the skin. Much like photosynthesis in plants, the LED lights work to stimulate and promote healthy skin production.
- Naturopathica’s Natural Face Lift Facial - Combined with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies, this high performance treatment uses Naturopathica brand products including Plant Stem Cell Serum (a powerful antioxidant blend) to deliver deep hydration and gently firms and tones the skin.
For the Body:
- Coffee Break Mud Wrap - This 50min heated treatment uses a natural body scrub that includes Black Silt Clay and Coffee Arabica to exfoliate and draw out impurities. It also includes Indian Sarsaparilla and Shea Butter to clarify skin and seal in moisture.
For the Hands & Feet:
- Espresso Mud Pedicure -This sensually invigorating pedicure uses a mud mixture to exfoliate and deeply hydrate your feet. In addition to nail and cuticle care, and buffing/color; this treatment includes added moisturizing and light massage.
- Sakura Pedicure & Nagomi Manicure – These are our signature manicure and pedicure treatments that include the most pampering and nail care. We use the natural harnessing power of ingredients like Crystallized Honey, Rice Bran, Sake-Kasu, and a handmade and chemical free Yuzu Massage Cream to fully exfoliate and deeply hydrate the hands and feet.
As your wedding day draws nearer, the last thing you want to be stressing over is your skin. It’s always a good idea to get a head start on a season-specific regimen (in this case: summer!) that will leave your skin smooth and glowing on your big day.
For summer brides, the best skin care regimen includes a deep cleansing facial cleanser, toner, and a an oil-free moisturizer. While the deep cleanser helps keep your pores flushed, the toner will replace the healthy fatty acids and antioxidants that may have been stripped from the cleansing. An oil-free moisturizer will seal in hydration without clogging pores which is especially important during the summer.
Wedding planning brings about a lot of stress, and stress, unfortunately, also leads to premature aging. To keep fine lines at bay, be sure to use an antioxidant rich serum to help boost collagen production. In addition, serums also work to help plump and hydrate dry skin.
As you get closer to the big day, be sure to exfoliate regularly. Exfoliation will slough away the dead skin cells and any bacteria that lead to acne break outs. It also helps to smooth and even your complexion. Always follow exfoliation with a deeply hydrating serum, cream, or mask.
All those nerves may make it difficult to get a good amount of “beauty rest” right before the wedding day, so I recommend applying a cold compress to the eyes to help reduce puffiness in the morning. Use chilled green tea bags for a quick and easy way to sooth puffy eyes in a flash.
Have more bridal beauty questions for Shizuka? Feel free to leave a comment or send an email to: [email protected]
We have a wide variety of treatments and gifts sure to please every type of mom this Mother’s Day. Check out the following Mother’s Day Spa Guide to find out which treatments and gifts are the best fit for your Mom!
The executive mom is usually always busy with work. When she’s not cooking dinner or going to soccer practice, she’s glued to her Smartphone to keep in touch with the office. She’s perpetually busy but loves it when she’s finally able to RELAX, even if it’s just for a couple hours.
Treatment suggestions: Coffee break Mud Wrap, 80min Shiatsu/ Swedish Massage
Our Coffee Break Mud Wrap combines soothing heat therapy with refreshing exfoliation and detoxification. Our “Mud” mixture will reinvigorate the senses with sweet earthy aromas of Arabica Coffee, honey, and bergamot, among others. Combine this with an 80min Shiatsu or Swedish massage and Mom will leave feeling rejuvenated and ready to go!
Gift suggestion: Espresso Mud Body Scrub, Sicilian Bergamot Body Lotion, Plant Stem Cell Serum
On The Go Mom:
On The Go Mom is usually busy as a bee, with a daily mile long to-do list. She loves getting things done, and try as she might, finding time for herself just isn’t a top priority most of the time.
Treatment suggestions: The Geisha Facial® , GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation, Collagen Mask add on
Since On The Go Mom is likely hopping cabs, catching trains and walking, er running, through the busy city streets, her skin is also susceptible to innumerable free radicals (airborne impurities) in the air. Over time this can age the skin, so we suggest treatments such as The Geisha Facial ®, Gentle Waves treatment, or even adding on a collagen mask to any of our facials to stimulate collagen production, encourage cellular renewal and shrink pores.
Gift suggestion: VITAMIN C REVITALIZING COMPLEX
Lady of the Manor Mom:
Lady of the Manor Mom usually, quite literally, has her hands full engineering ways to keep the home and family in tip top shape. She’s always coming up with new and better ways to improve productivity and time management. She’s super practical and doesn’t usually have time for some much needed pampering and relaxation.
Treatment suggestions: Signature Micro Facial, EYELASH PERM, Sugar Scrub Manicure + Bamboo Scrub Pedicure
Our Signature Micro Facial is our most popular facial with the most pampering. This facial combines deep cleansing with face, scalp, hand and shoulder massage, as well as reflexology treatment (foot massage). Combine this facial with an Eyelash Perm and nails, and Mom will feel like a Queen!
Gift suggestions: SHIZUKA NY MOISTURIZER, Lavender Honey Balancing Mist, ON THE CUFF
The health-conscious Mom loves to feed herself with all-natural foods and products like fresh juices, whole-grain breads, organic vegetables, and prefers using paraben-free facial washes and soaps. She wants to stay as healthy as possible, especially in a big (dirty) city like NYC.
Treatment suggestions: The Natural Face Lift Facial, Nagomi Manicure + Sakura Pedicure, Far Infrared Sauna
The Nagomi Manicure and Sakura Pedicure are SNY’s signature nail treatments using only natural ingredients free of harsh chemicals and additives that are mixed right in front of you. Ingredients include fresh lemon, olive oil, soy, rice, and sake to exfoliate, hydrate and protect the skin and nails. Combine this with the Far Infrared Sauna and The Natural Face Lift Facial which uses Naturopathica’s high-performance, all natural and paraben-free products. These treatments will leave Mom feeling well-balanced and glowing!
Gift suggestion: SICILIAN BERGAMOT BODY LOTION
Loves to Spa Mom:
The Loves to Spa Mom, well, she loves to spa! She finds comfort and peace in all things pampering.
Treatment suggestion: DAY OF BEAUTY
During our Mother’s Day Promotion May 3rd – 19th, 2013 we are offering a SNY exclusive “Day of Beauty” 4-hour spa package* that includes:
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure + added Reflexology
Gift suggestion: Maddison Ave pure-scented soy candle
*This spa package includes a complimentary spa candle for Mom to take home!
Get a mini-Shizuka New York facial everyday of the week!
Take home products from the Shizuka New York Skincare System and give yourself a mini-facial everyday! We use a customized combination of the Shizuka New York Foaming and Clay Cleansers, Toner, and Moisturizer in every facial offered at the spa.
The skin care line was formulated by Shizuka and her husband, a dermatologist, Dr. Robert M. Bernstein. The line was created after years of careful research and testing and in following with Shizuka’s goal to offer a holistic line of products made with premium natural ingredients found in Japan.
Every product features pure spring water from Mt. Fuji and other natural ingredients such as: sake, rice bran, pearl protein, soy, green tea, aloe, lavender, and peppermint.
Using a cleanser, toner and moisturizer from one product line is always ideal since the products are formulated to work together to optimize your skin’s health.
The Shizuka New York Skincare System works great for anti-aging, brightening, restoring hydration and antioxidants, and helps control acne.
A few clients have been asking: “Why is toner important for my skin?”
First off, what’s most important is your own skin’s reaction to the toner.
Absolutely do not use any toner that irritates your skin. Any irritation disrupts your skin’s natural healing process and reduces healthy collagen production.
The purpose of toner is to rebalance and restore skin’s pH balance after cleansing. Your skin needs a range of ingredients like antioxidants, glycerin, fatty acids and ceramides to restore and repair its surface (skin can never get too much of these important ingredients!) The right toner can do wonders for your skin, giving it what it needs for a healthy, radiant glow.
Skipping toner can cheat your skin of the beneficial ingredients it needs to become healthier and smoother. Using toner within a particular skin care line is always a good idea because the products are formulated to work together (cleanser, toner, and moisturizer).
>>In the news: Tune in to the Hallmark Channel to watch the debut of Marie Osmond‘s new talk show October 16th, 2012 at noon. Shizuka new york Day Spa will be featured in the “Extreme Beauty” segment!
It’s that time of year when we see pumpkins popping up everywhere as festive decor, in desserts, even as seasonal ale! Why not apply pumpkins’ sweet hearty goodness to your skin too?
Naturopathica’s Pumpkin Purifying Enzyme Peel utilizes pumpkins’ powerful carotenoid antioxidant qualities to slough away dead skin cells for a clean, clear and radiant complexion. This peel also includes antiseptic herbs such as cinnamon bark, oregano and rosemary extract that help clean and soften skin. It smells so good, you’ll want to eat it (PLEASE DON’T)!
We use this peel in some of our Shizuka NY facials and also offer it as an add-on treatment.
Use this peel on normal to oily skin and give yourself a mini-facial at home 2-3 times a week. Here’s how:
- Apply 1 tsp of Pumpkin Purifying Enzyme Peel to clean skin and hold face near a stream of hot water (can be done in the shower) to allow steam to activate the enzymes. Massage with fingertips and leave on for 3-5 minutes, rinse and towel dry.
- Rebalance skin with Shizuka NY’s Skin Freshener to help close pores and remove excess oil.
- Finish by applying Shizuka NY’s Oil Free Moisturizer to hydrate and restore normal barrier function without clogging pores.
You may remember our blog post earlier this year about the many health benefits of green tea, but did you know green tea can also help soothe puffy eyes– fast?
After steeping two bags of green tea, let them cool (or stick them in the refrigerator), then place over eyes for 5 minutes. The Vitamin C, antioxidants and tannin from the green tea will help reduce swelling and tighten skin around the eyes.
Miso soup, a traditional food staple in Japanese cuisine made from fermented soybeans, while delicious and wholesome, is also great for the skin.
Some benefits include:
- Strengthens immune system
- Prevents aging: high in antioxidants and protects from free radicals
- Provides protein, vitamins B12, B2, E, K. Miso is also a good source of iron, calcium, phosphorus, potassium and helps facilitate the body’s absorption of calcium and magnesium
- Promotes supple skin: miso contains linoleic acid which helps your skin stay soft and pigment free
Even today, in some parts of China and Japan drinking miso soup every day is associated with a long, healthy life.
This soup is so versatile you can add your favorite veggies for added flavor and nutrition.
Aloe Cleansing Gel – A foaming sulfate-free cleanser with a refreshing blend of Aloe Vera and Lavender that gently clarifies the skin while maintaining natural moisture.
Lavender Honey Balancing Mist – A refreshing blend of balancing Lavender and moisture rich Honey helps tone and hydrate the skin while restoring equilibrium to the mind. This can be used as a toner after cleansing the face or throughout the day as a skin refresher.
Lavender Protective Moisturizer w/ SPF 17 – This nourishing emollient cream combines micronized Zinc Oxide to help protect the skin from UV damage with antioxidant Turmeric Root to help reduce redness. Apply a liberal amount to skin 20 minutes prior to sun exposure. The SPF 17 blocks over 95% of sun’s damaging rays. (Note: this product is not water-proof).
Lavender oil, known for its antioxidant and antibacterial properties, can be found in our Shizuka New York Skincare line as well:
Shizuka NY Moisturizer – This moisturizer is a non-greasy and absorbs immediately to hydrate, condition and rejuvenate, and works to clarify and brighten the complexion.
Shizuka NY Foaming Cleanser -This Foaming Cleanser is used in most facial treatments in our NYC day spa and contains a slew of other nourishing ingredients leaving the skin renewed, softer and more supple.