Preserve your youthful glow by applying a Vitamin C serum to damp skin every morning after cleansing. Vitamin C Power Gel combines the potency of Vitamin C with Green Tea Extract for an antioxidant “power blend” that protects the skin from free radical damage while hydrating and increasing collagen production throughout the day.
Looking for the perfect gift this holiday season?
Our luxuriously silky SHIZUKA new york Moisturizer from Japan is packed with natural anti-agers like green tea, soy collagen, pearl protein, and natto bean extracts to immediately hydrate, brighten, and strengthen your skin.
Pair it with a spa store item like an aromatherapy pure soy candle from Maddison Ave for the ultimate holiday gift to remember.
Want a radiant and glowing complexion just in time for Fashion Week?
A Collagen Fiber Mask chock-full of anti-oxidants, soothing aloe vera, and skin brighteners may be just what you seek.
Most SHIZUKA new york spa facials include a customized Collagen Fiber Mask treatment for deeply hydrated, smooth, and positively glowing skin.
Collagen Fiber Masks serve to not only replenish lost collagen, but they also promote further collagen production, leaving your skin smooth and firm long after your treatment.
Want a quick collagen infusion? Add a Collagen Fiber Mask to the Express or Classic Facial for an additional $30.
See our current Spa Deals here >>
How do you prep your skin for a busy week?
We can all agree that relaxation reduces stress. Taken a step further, stress-reduction techniques can also aid in the reduction of certain skin ailments like acne, dry skin, and even fine lines and wrinkles. Everyone can use a little anti-aging R&R every now and then.
Read on for Japanese-inspired ways to relax & rejuvenate your mind and body.
1. Drink tea: For centuries the Japanese Tea Ceremony has been regarded as a much cherished encounter between the host and guests to, for the time, forget all stress and simply enjoy a peaceful and tranquil tea time together.
The next time you drink a cup of tea, engage in mindfulness from preparation to sipping that last drop. You’ll turn tea time into your own personal relaxing tea ritual.
2. Light a candle: When lit, Japanese lanterns made of stone or paper, bring much significance to ceremonies and celebrations. A burning candle is placed in the center to illuminate and bring warmth to the lantern.
Enjoy instant warmth & â€ªambiance by burning â€ªâ€Žorganic soy candles. They burn clean and smell extraordinary. For a â€ªâ€Žspa effect, burn the candle for at least 30min. to fully warm the essential oils–then relax as the pure fragrance fills the room!
3. Listen to water: The Japanese character for water (sui or mizu) is: æ°´ , represents the flowing nature of life.
If you ever need help â€ªâ€Žrelaxing, try listening to the sound of â€ªâ€Žflowing â€ªâ€Žwater, from a fountain or at the beach. The â€ªcalming sound will help any stressful thoughts “flow” away.
4. Commune with nature: Many natural elements are revered in Japanese culture, such as koi (symbol of fortune and courage) and sakura blossoms (symbol of the ephemeral nature of life). Every year when sakura trees are in full bloom, many people gather to enjoy hanami, or picnicking under the trees.
Whether it’s observing fish gracefully swimming in a pond or sitting under a blossom-filled tree; immersing yourself in nature can be calming and reflective.
5. Take a bath: In Japan there are many active volcanoes and because of this onsens, hot spring resorts or bathhouses, are very popular all year round. People journey to onsens to escape their hectic city lifestyles and relax and feel rejuvenated by the waters’ healing minerals.
The water in hot springs can reach 110 degrees F, so it’s an ideal place to sweat it out and detox. Aside from creating your own relaxing bath soak, you can also enjoy a good sweat by using a far infrared sauna.
Do you have oily or acne prone skin? Try SHIZUKA new york’s Clay Cleanser with Moroccan Lava Clay, Green Tea, and Peppermint. It absorbs surface oils and rids impurities as it soothes and brightens skin.
When it’s just impossible to get a good night’s rest or when you’re stuck in an air plane for too long; skin can start to lose its sheen and look dull and tired. Here are some tips to help you look and feel refreshed:
- Dull sagging skin – An occasional steam will open pores and flush out any stagnant oil and buildup. If you can’t get to a sauna, fill a large bowl with hot water and place your face over it. Create an insulated “tent” effect by draping a towel over your head and shoulders. This will help plump and smooth dull skin and will give you a dewy and glowing complexion!
- Dehydrated – After cleansing the skin, applying a moisturizer will hydrate dry brittle skin. Give yourself a short and invigorating facial massage to wake up tired facial muscles and increase blood circulation.
- Under eye bags – Sometimes even the best concealer won’t be able to disguise tired droopy eyes. For fast relief, wash your face with cold water and apply chilled stainless steel spoons to your eyes for as long as you need. For puffy eyes apply a depuffer eye cream. For more natural remedies: try applying cucumber slices or chilled chamomile or green tea bags.
Happy National Iced Tea Month!
June is National Iced Tea Month, and because so many people are big on green tea these days, we came up with some tasty and refreshing ways to enjoy the antioxidant-rich tea this summer!
>>Add any of these extra ingredients to your brew for a little summertime variety: fresh ginger, mint, peaches, berries, lemon, lime, blood orange, and honey.
>>You can even infuse it with an herb, like thyme, for more complex flavors.
>>Or make it sparkle by adding some seltzer and a splash of pomegranate juice.
>>Want less water and more substance? Add green tea to your favorite smoothie!
How will you take your tea this summer?
As your wedding day draws nearer, the last thing you want to be stressing over is your skin. It’s always a good idea to get a head start on a season-specific regimen (in this case: summer!) that will leave your skin smooth and glowing on your big day.
For summer brides, the best skin care regimen includes a deep cleansing facial cleanser, toner, and a an oil-free moisturizer. While the deep cleanser helps keep your pores flushed, the toner will replace the healthy fatty acids and antioxidants that may have been stripped from the cleansing. An oil-free moisturizer will seal in hydration without clogging pores which is especially important during the summer.
Wedding planning brings about a lot of stress, and stress, unfortunately, also leads to premature aging. To keep fine lines at bay, be sure to use an antioxidant rich serum to help boost collagen production. In addition, serums also work to help plump and hydrate dry skin.
As you get closer to the big day, be sure to exfoliate regularly. Exfoliation will slough away the dead skin cells and any bacteria that lead to acne break outs. It also helps to smooth and even your complexion. Always follow exfoliation with a deeply hydrating serum, cream, or mask.
All those nerves may make it difficult to get a good amount of “beauty rest” right before the wedding day, so I recommend applying a cold compress to the eyes to help reduce puffiness in the morning. Use chilled green tea bags for a quick and easy way to sooth puffy eyes in a flash.
Have more bridal beauty questions for Shizuka? Feel free to leave a comment or send an email to: [email protected]
Get a mini-Shizuka New York facial everyday of the week!
Take home products from the Shizuka New York Skincare System and give yourself a mini-facial everyday! We use a customized combination of the Shizuka New York Foaming and Clay Cleansers, Toner, and Moisturizer in every facial offered at the spa.
The skin care line was formulated by Shizuka and her husband, a dermatologist, Dr. Robert M. Bernstein. The line was created after years of careful research and testing and in following with Shizuka’s goal to offer a holistic line of products made with premium natural ingredients found in Japan.
Every product features pure spring water from Mt. Fuji and other natural ingredients such as: sake, rice bran, pearl protein, soy, green tea, aloe, lavender, and peppermint.
Using a cleanser, toner and moisturizer from one product line is always ideal since the products are formulated to work together to optimize your skin’s health.
The Shizuka New York Skincare System works great for anti-aging, brightening, restoring hydration and antioxidants, and helps control acne.
You may remember our blog post earlier this year about the many health benefits of green tea, but did you know green tea can also help soothe puffy eyes– fast?
After steeping two bags of green tea, let them cool (or stick them in the refrigerator), then place over eyes for 5 minutes. The Vitamin C, antioxidants and tannin from the green tea will help reduce swelling and tighten skin around the eyes.
Discover our Shizuka NY Clay Cleanser featured in the latest issue of Essential Homme Magazine, pp. 154-55:
Before basking in the rays of the sun, you’ll need to clean up that face. Made with Moroccan lava clay,this cleanser rids clogged pores of the kind of impure built-up that could result in an uneven tan while its green tea and pearl protein components leave your skin looking rejuvenated. $48/ 5.3 oz.; shizukany.com/development
The secret of green tea’s health benefits lies in the fact that it’s rich in catechin polyphenols, a powerful anti-oxidant that’s known to (and these are just a few):
1) Inhibit cancer cell growth
2) lower total cholesterol level
3) Slow down the aging process
4) have bacteria-destroying properties that can help prevent food poisoning, dental plaque and promotes odor elimination.
5) be rich in Vitamin C
Green tea also contains caffeine, which gives you a boost and helps burn fat. However, excessive caffeine consumption can cause insomnia or headaches. At Shizuka NY, we serve either green tea or houji tea (roasted green tea) per our clients’ request. Houji tea contains significantly less caffeine, so we recommend choosing this tea for a reduced caffeine option.
Also, we’ve been asked what gives our green tea its rich green color? Well, our tea is a special mixture of finely chopped green tea leaves and matcha. Matcha is powdered tea often used for tea ceremony in Japan (it looks like finely ground coffee beans). Matcha immediately gives the tea an extraordinary bright green color.
On your next visit, please enjoy our tasty teas with rice crackers at Shizuka!