How to do Anti Aging Facial at home
NY Japion, weekly paper in New York, features owner Shizuka Bernstein in their September 9th, 2016 issue.
This article is a part of a series of “How to make a smooth bare skin” .
In this article, Shizuka offers DIY skincare tips and how to do Anti Aging Facial at home.
How to make a facial massage oil:
Mix Lavender essential oil and lubricant oil for face such as Jojoba oil.
Lavender has a side of natural antiseptic.
How to do mini Anti Aging Facial at home:
First, start from a massage to lift up for good blood flow.
- Use your index finger from sides of your nose to ears. Use your thumb from under your chin to under your ears.
- For forehead, between your eyebrows and go up, middle to sides.
- Start from inner corners of eyes and go outwards. (Massage lightly with your fingers for both 2 and 3)
- Lift up the sides of your lips.
Pressing specific points (Tsubo) of your Face is also effective.
- Bones around your eyes. (push up around your eye hole)
- Jaw joint. Press three times lightly with your finger for each point.
Finish it up with a massage to lower back the lymph flow.
Use three fingers (index finger, middle finger, third finger) and trace the points below with a gentle finger.
- Under eyes
- Jaw line
There’s many ways to prevent wrinkles.
- Lie on your back when you sleep. Sleeping side ways might cause wrinkles on the side your face that’s facing down.
- Use a thin pillow. Using a thick pillow might cause wrinkles around your neck.
- Don’t hesitate to use reading glasses. This will help to prevent wrinkles between eyebrows.
- Avoid Sunlight. Use Sunglasses and Sun protection daily.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking cigarette can age you.
These are just few examples, but there’s many other ways you can try in everyday life.
For a related spa treatment, SHIZUKA new york Day Spa offers Lifting Facial ($230), voted Best Facial NYC by New York Magazine.
Related blog posts;
Actress Yoka Wao introduces Geisha Facial on Japanese TV!
SHIZUKA new york’s Geisha Facial was introduced on Japanese TV program “Sekaino Nihonjin Zuma Wa Mita!” !
This show features Japanese lady who got married with a foreign man and talks about the difference between cultures.
One of our customers, Actress Yoka Wao introduced the Geisha Facial on this show!
She is a former Top star of Takarazuka, Japanese all-female musical theater troupe.
SHIZUKA new york’s Facials are awarded as Best Facial in New York Magazine’s Best of New York 2 times!
For Geisha Facial, Shizuka mixes nightingale droppings with delicate Japanese rice bran to enhance its inherent exfoliating and facial lightening properties.
Her skin looks softer and brighter after the Geisha Facial!
Many celebrities visits our spa for monthly treatment.
Ancient and prized Geisha beauty secret is artfully revived through the Geisha Facial ®.
You can tell from how they look!
Shizuka gives advice for how to get your best shave ever
Shizuka gave a tip for a recent article “Your Go-To Guide for The Best Shave Ever” on livestrong.com . This article shows step-by-step to get your best shave without damaging your skin.
“shaving gel is preferable to shaving cream because it’s less likely to clog your pores.”
As mentioned in the article, Shizuka says that moisturizing your skins is also the key to keep your skin looking and feeling great.
For your face, try our Shizuka New York Skincare system’s moisturizer.
The Shizuka New York Skincare System is holistically formulated in Japan and the products are all-natural, hypoallergenic and pH-balanced, and free of artificial fragrance, lanolin, animal byproducts, and harsh chemical irritants.
For your body, try Naturopathica’s Sicilian Bergamot body lotion.
Naturopathica combines certified natural and organic ingredients with Naturoceuticals, state-of-the-art skin care technology, and without harmful synthetics. This lightweight yet deeply moisturizing body lotion uses a high concentration of Aloe to nourish and soothe the skin.
The Atlanta Journal Constitution Lists this Spa for an Unforgettable Gift for Mom
A spa service at SHIZUKA new york Day Spa made it into the Atlanta Journal Constitution last week.
In an article titled: Top 3 ways to make your Mother’s Day gift unforgettable, SNY’s The Geisha Facial was mentioned as the only spa service in the U.S. to make an unforgettable mother’s day gift.
Now, both of those services are offered by spas outside of the U.S. But if you want something a little closer to home, you can always get your mom the Bird Poop Facial from a spa in New York.
Now Mom can enjoy this unforgettable gift any time of year with a SNY Gift Certificate. Choose from a variety of designs and have it emailed directly to her inbox.
See other recent press about SHIZUKA new york Day Spa here.
TruTV featured Shizuka New York Day Spa’s The Geisha Facial® on their show: Top 20 Funniest TV Blunders3!
They borrowed footage from Shizuka Bernstein’s Interview with RT TV News back in 2013 while poking fun at the prized ingredient: bird poop.
Shizuka assures the poop is sanitized and comes from a special breed of birds who are fed organic feed for the best quality bird poop around–only the best for our clients!
This treatment is popular among men and women alike, including women who are pregnant. Due to the all-natural ingredients used throughout the facial, The Geisha Facial® is a nourishing and deeply cleansing treatment even for those with sensitive skin.
Find our current spa deals here >>
An article about Shizuka and The Geisha Facial® appear in MSN Japan!
The article titled, Japanese originated ‘Nightingale Dropping ‘ Facial available at Hilton in England Now. Despite its scent writers praised its effect after giving it a try talks about The Geisha Facial’s “flight” overseas to spas in England and highlights the origin of The Geisha Facial®.
Even before “Bird Poop Facial” was introduced in England for the first time, Shizuka Bernstein, a Tokyo-born master aesthetician, has been offering The Geisha Facial® that includes a customized nightingale dropping exfoliate at her own spa in New York.
Her mother once told her that geishas would use the nightingale droppings to keep their skin clear and blemish-free, and that story inspired Shizuka to create this facial.
A writer for the The Daily Mirror, a UK publication, recently wrote a review about a facial performed by a spa in London, England that’s strikingly similar to Shizuka new york’s Geisha Facial® .
While other spas around the world may imitate The Geisha Facial®, the original was born right here in New York City by Shizuka Bernstein and her husband, the dermatologist, Dr. Robert M. Bernstein. We still think it’s worth responding to her review. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, right?!
While some may believe the facial is effective but not worth the price point, we beg to differ. The years of research Shizuka and her husband put into the treatment process ensures it’s “scientifically correct” and effective for balancing out skin tone, deepening hydration, and to ensure it’s facial-worthy, it’s a highly relaxing and calming experience.
As a master aesthetician herself, Shizuka ensures that every Geisha Facial® is performed with techniques that fit her standard of care and precision for each and every client. “I want to bring Japanese beauty secrets to all my clients so that their skin may benefit from all-natural Japanese ingredients without having to leave the city. I’m not happy until my clients are satisfied with the results”, says Shizuka.
Every Geisha Facial® incorporates all-natural ingredients sourced directly from Japan like green tea, sake, and Mount Fuji water. With the help of Shizuka new york’s highly trained facialists, you’ll be transported to Japan and back in little under an hour!
- Learn more about Shizuka Bernstein’s The Geisha Facial®
- Make an appointment to experience the original facial for yourself!
The Times of India included Shizuka new york Day Spa’s The Geisha Facial® in its list of bizarre facials that deliver ‘diva-approved’ results!
Celebrity fans of the facial are Tom Cruise and Victoria and David Beckham.
Here’s what The Times of India had to say:
Glow with bird poop
If there is something other, that Tom Cruise is known to advocate for after Scientology, it’s the bird poop facial. Not one for the botox and surgeries, rubbing a concoction of nightingale poop, rice bran and water gives his face the shine that he is looking for. The nightingale poop facial, also known as the Geisha facial as it originates from Japan, is known to exfoliate the dirt from the skin and leave it shining and squeaky clean. Guess who introduced him to the ways of the nightingale? Good friend David Beckham. He and his wife, Posh are known to be high on the treatment too.
Related blog posts:
- Holiday Gift Ideas from Shizuka New York and The Associated Press
- Shamenet Magazine names The Geisha Facial® as one of the Most Unique Spa Treatments in the World!
- Shizuka’s BeautyZen Corner: Geisha Beauty Secrets
- U.S. Spa Market Analysis claims The Geisha Facial® is Trending
Have you tried The Geisha Facial® yet?
Even leading make-up artists insist on facial massages before applying make up to stimulate collagen production and wake up facial muscles to lift and firm skin. See what Style.com writes about Shizuka Bernstein’s The Lifting Facial:
The Service: The Lifting Facial
The Pain Is Worth the Gain: “This treatment gently stimulates and tones muscles while oxygenating the skin for a more rejuvenated appearance,” says Shizuka Bernstein. “And in addition to manual massage, we use a microcurrent machine to further stimulate the facial muscles. Its ionization helps products to penetrate farther into the skin. We use ingredients like algae and a collagen fiber mask with green tea. Pore extraction and light massage complete the treatment.”
Related Blog Post:
India’s newspaper, The Business Standard, reports on the efficacy of Anti-Aging Facials and touts Shizuka new york’s The Geisha Facial® in their article titled: Anti-Aging Facials can Save you from Losing that Youthful Appearance.
Manhattan’s Shizuka New York Day Spa specializes in the Nightingale facial in which bird droppings, which removes dead cells, are slathered onto a client’s face to give a youthful appearance.
With a wide range of facials and treatments available to choose from, Shizuka Bernstein advises on the best time to receive an anti-aging facial:
“Basically, anti-aging facials are unnecessary before the age of 25. These treatments are most effective once the skin begins to age, which is generally in someone’s 30’s (depending on their lifestyle, genetics, etc.). With that said, it’s never too late to begin an anti-aging regimen.”
Related blog post:
- Are Hi-Power Facials the new Fountain of Youth?
- Hey Sleeping Beauty–An Extra Hour of Beauty Sleep Awaits!
- The Anti-Aging Serum that Does what it Says (without costing a lot)
Click here for more information about Shizuka new york’s Anti-Aging Facials>>
The Limoneira Company recognized Shizuka as a Beauty Opinion Leader in their February 2014 newsletter. Shizuka has been offering her expert advice on skin care and beauty for 20 years.
Limoneira’s February Newsletter focuses on ways to promote natural beauty with lemons through their UNLEASH THE NATURAL POWER OF LEMONS CAMPAIGN. Check out Shizuka’s tips for hydrating skin naturally using a lemon juice face mask.
Related Blog Post: How to Hydrate Dry Skin Naturally
From the report titled, Trends-In-Sight: U.S. Spa Market Activity :
In the beauty and spa industry, R&D specialists and marketers
alike look to nature for product inspiration. The newest spa treat-
ments are inspired by birds, mollusks and insects! The Shizuka Spa
in New York City offers “The Geisha Facial,” also known as a “Bird
Poop Facial,” which is a Japanese treatment made with Asian Night-
ingale excrement and rice bran. It is believed that the bird waste
contains a natural enzyme from its seed diet and this enzyme is
said to smooth and soften the skin.
Click here for more information about The Geisha Facial®
NY Weekly Japion featured Shizuka Bernstein, owner of SHIZUKA new york Day Spa, in their January 10th, 2014 issue.
In the article, Shizuka offers DIY skincare tips to hydrate dry skin naturally and effectively at home for plump skin throughout the winter months.
Follow these steps to nourish and hydrate dry skin naturally:
- After washing your face, warm a wet towel in the microwave and wrap it around the face. This will open pores and will feel very relaxing.
- Next, massage the face with jojoba oil, almond oil, and 1-2 drops of essential oil. Use upward circular movements whenever performing a facial massage to help lift and rejuvenate the skin.
- Make a face mask by mixing together lemon juice, honey, and a small amount of grated apple. Shizuka says, “the acid from the apple will help slough away dead skin”. Leave on for 3-5 minutes before washing away.
- Wrap the face with another hot towel to wipe away any excess from the mask and warm the skin.
- Finish by applying a moisturizer that’s been chilled in the refrigerator. This tightens pores while sealing in moisture.
Additionally, Shizuka suggests taking daily measures to ensure skin stays hydrated such as using a humidifier and drinking water after consuming alcohol.
For a related spa treatment, SHIZUKA New York Day Spa offers the Plant Stem Cell Facial ($ 160). This facial combines Naturopathica’s powerful anti-ager, Plant Stem Cell Serum, with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies for a deeply hydrating facial–this facial is perfect for hydrating dry winter skin!
Related blog posts:
Whether you’re a facial veteran or are about to get your first facial ever—knowing how to prepare your skin for your treatment will help extend the life of the facial keeping your face aglow longer.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for a facial:
– Know your skin. While our skilled estheticians will let you know the best treatment upon examining your skin, it’s best to already know which areas you’d like to target. For example: Tone down oily skin, target acne prone areas, focus on lifting, deep cleansing with pore extraction, etc.. Communicate this to your esthetician and your treatment will be specially catered to your needs.
- No scrubbing. Skip harsh cleansers or facial exfoliants before your treatment. Your facial will consist of exfoliation and most likely pore extraction as well, so leave the dirty work to a trained professional!
- Save new products for later. Just clean your face following your usual cleansing routine. It’s best not to experiment with new products right before a facial so that your skin can be examined in its “usual” state. Using new products may have adverse reactions on your skin (i.e. over drying, inflammation, etc.), so it’s best to hold off until after your treatment.
- To steam or not to steam. This is a personal preference that doesn’t positively or negatively affect your treatment. Some like to use a sauna before a facial to relax and open up pores. While this is an option, it’s not necessary since your face will be steamed and cleaned for an hour or more anyway.
- Remove makeup. While estheticians will remove makeup for you before beginning your facial, you can arrive to the spa 5-10 minutes earlier and remove it yourself to save time. Or just arrive without makeup altogether.
It’s never too early to start getting regular facials for optimum skin health! Shizuka began getting facial treatments in her 20’s and says “facials have helped keep my skin clear and firm throughout the years”. See Shizuka’s related post for tips on how to continually refine your skincare routine: Look Great in Every Decade
- What special measures do you take to prepare your skin for a facial?
- Book an appointment ONLINE using our Secure Online Booking System
- Don’t know which facial is best for you, try our interactive facial finder
Related blog post:
As winter begins, our skin starts to become dry and itchy, and many start to get sore throats and common colds. Check out these tips to prevent and avoid these annoying winter symptoms!
The best percentage of humidity for people is 40%~60%. It’s so important to keep your body hydrated and skin moisturized all year round. Placing a humidifier in your home during the dry winter months can help prevent your skin from becoming overly dry and itchy.
Where to place the humidifier?
Because a humidifier reaches all over the room, it really doesn’t matter where you place it. However, it’s better to keep it away from walls and windows. If it’s too close, mold or mildew may develop from the condensation. What’s important is which heater and which humidifier you actually use.
When you use a humidifier it’s best to place it at least 1 yard away from you so it hydrates you well. Only one humidifier is needed in each room and be sure to close the door. When you’re away from home, turn off the machine and leave the door or window open to let the humidity go.
Which humidifier do you recommend?
-Shizuka loves the Air-O-Swiss Humidifier.
What are other ways to prevent dryness?
It is important to take care of your skin but it’s also important to take preventative measures before your skin gets too dry.
1) Avoid hot water and harsh soaps- Hot water and harsh soaps strip moisture away from your skin. Use a natural wash cloth rather than a synthetic one.
2) Take a bath by soaking the body in warm water. This will soothe nerves and enhance the cell metabolism and increase blood circulation which leads to beautiful skin. Also, it opens up and drains pores. The ideal water temperature should range between 96F to 105F. If the water is too hot it may overburden your body. Bath agents or bath oils are recommended to moisturize your skin and further relax you as well.
3) After taking a bath or shower, pat your body with dry towel quickly and apply moisturizer. It penetrates into the skin when skin is still wet and soft. However, if you leave the skin too long without applying anything, skin gets drier due to water evaporation.
These products are great for combating dry skin:
HEAPS, a Japanese online magazine, featured Shizuka in their “Successful Women in New York” cover story!
Every now and then a quick cat nap can do wonders to boost energy and reset the body and mind. Along the same lines, a quick spa treatment can be just what you need to rest and recharge amidst a hectic schedule.
Check out these popular Express Spa treatments below:
A single color manicure or pedicure includes cuticle care, foot exfoliation, buffing/color, and moisturizing. The sugar scrub and & bamboo scrub treatments include additional hand and foot exfoliation and light massage.
Basic Manicure – 20 min.
Basic Pedicure – 35 min.
Sugar Scrub Manicure – 30 min.
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure – 45 min.
Massages are typically enjoyed at 50 or 80 minute increments but we also offer shorter versions for 25 and 35 minutes–perfect for anyone new to massage therapy.
Swedish – 25 min. & 35 min.
Shiatsu – 25 min. & 35 min.
Reflexology (Foot massage) – 25 min. & 35 min.
Deep Tissue – 35 min.
Omedeta (Maternity) – 25 min.
This full body exfoliation treatment sloughs off dead skin cells leaving your skin soft and supple.
Body Scrub – 20 min.
Our most basic NYC spa facial incorporates Shizuka New York Day Spa’s all-natural skin care products and includes cleansing, exfoliation, and extraction.
Express Facial – 30 min.
These facials incorporate GentleWaves®, a facial rejuvenation treatment that uses LED lights to shrink pores, fine lines and wrinkles, and stimulate collagen production.
GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – 30 min.
Collagen Boost Facial – 40 min.
A French science magazine for kids, “Science & Vie découvertes”, includes The Geisha Facial® in its latest October 2013 issue!
An invigorating facial massage can do wonders to rejuvenate and rehydrate tired and lack-luster skin.
However, when skin looks exceptionally dull and pattered with fine lines, you may need to forego a bit of pampering in lieu of a “hi-tech” facial for deeper hydration and skin restoration. Hi-tech facials are results-driven treatments, incorporating modern technology with deep cleansing refreshment.
Shizuka new York Day Spa’s specialty hi-tech facials can be customized and complemented with Medi-Spa treatments such as Botox or Juvederm injections for non-surgical alternatives to face-lifts– at a fraction of the cost and with little or no down time.
- Natural Face Lift Facial – Combines Naturopathica’s potent aromatherapy blends, including Plant Stem Cell Serum, with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies.
- Lifting Facial – Microcurrents gently stimulate, tone, and oxygenate skin. Voted Best Facial NYC by New York Magazine.
- Lightening Facial – Ionization allows skin brightening agents to penetrate deeply to even out the complexion.
- GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – Specially coded LED lights engage the skin in photomodulation. This synthesis smooths fine lines and wrinkles, shrinks pores, stimulates collagen production, and encourages cellular renewal.
- Collagen Boost Facial – This facial combines GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation with microcurrent facial toning.
- Anti-Aging IPL Photofacial – Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) works to remove hyperpigmentation, rosacea and broken capillaries. An IPL treatment also stimulates collagen formation, and tightens pores.
- Chemical Peels – Varying strengths of chemical peels remove superficial dead skin cells.
- Microdermabraision (Crystal Peel) – Medical-grade microdermabrasion facials vacuum fine crystal powder across the surface of the skin to remove dead cells.
- Ionizing Facial – Light microdermabrasion and ionization helps to further brighten and restore complexion.
- Microcurrent Facial – Light microdermabrasion and microcurrent further lifts and tones skin.
Not sure which one’s right for you? Call us at (212) 644-7400 or email: [email protected] to>>
>> Set up a skincare consultation with Shizuka
>> Inquire about pricing for Botox or Juvederm treatments
A father and daughter team from The Daily Cookie visited our spa and received The Classic Men’s Facial & The Geisha Facial®.
Here’s what they said about The Geisha Facial®:
…The overall results I saw with the facial were due to the combination of products used and the care my skin received from Shizuka Bernstein.
Along with the nightingale droppings, Bernstein cleansed my skin with the Shizuka New York Foaming Cleanser and the Clay Cleanser… Additional products used were the Shizuka New York Skin Freshener, Moisturizer, and an amazing-smelling camellia oil. All the products, which are sold in the spa and online, are very gentle and designed to work with almost all skin types. They are formulated with Japanese extracts like pearl protein, green tea, and sake. Usually, my skin feels oily with too much product, but after the facial, I was pleased to find soft and clean skin…
and the Classic Men’s Facial:
My dad…came along for the spa’s Men’s Facial. This was his first time trying a treatment like this… but he said that he felt very comfortable during the process. His aesthetician explained all the steps to him and made sure he was aware of what was going to happen. It was fun for me to see him marveling over his skin afterwards, which he said felt like an entirely new layer.
How do you spend quality time with your parents?