Chukyo University visits SHIZUKA new york
On March 1st, 2017 students from Chukyo University in Japan traveled to Shizuka Bernstein’s Manhattan spa to hear her speak about working in the United States. Shizuka spoke about the difference of Universities between USA and Japan. Her lecture included how to enroll, education system, how to find a job, and also her experience of running a business in NYC.
We hope they learned something new and they will achieve their goal in the United States near future.
I gave a talk about my experience doing business in NY to students from Chkyo University in Japan. They were very polite and it seemed quit smart. They want to work in the US in the future. Good luck! – Shizuka #chukyouniversity #nycdayspa #nyc #esthetician #manhattan #ShizukaNY #中京大学 #ニューヨーク #マンハッタン #エステ #エステティシャン #シズカニューヨーク
Beauty with Mi tries Geisha Facial for Clear Skin
Beauty writer Mi-Anne Chan and her friend Sonya Esman tried the Geisha Facial!
During the facial, Shizuka adviced cleansing is the most important skincare tip if you are in the 20s.
Don’t forget to take off your make up before bed!
All-in-all, it was a really relaxing experience and anyone jonesing for some serious pampering will definitely enjoy it.
My skin looked brighter and smoother after treatment — and who doesn’t love that?
Geisha Facial is known for it’s ingredients, but Mi-Anne mentions that the total experience including facial massage, products, and expertise makes this Facial special.
Combination of the best ingredients with our spa’s experienced esthetician’s skin care techniques are what makes your skin look the best at any age.
Watch video from here : Beauty with Mi Refinery29 Geisha Facial Treatment
Original Article: Refinery29
Difference of Beauty and Beauty Industry between Japan and USA
Shizuka had an interview by an esthetisian from Japan for Autumn 2016 issue of beauty and esthetic Japanese magazine creabeaux. Shizuka spoke about her experience over 21years in the beauty industry.
One of the biggest topic of this article was about the difference of beauty and beauty industry between Japan and USA. She also mentioned about how people’s definition of beauty changed from the past.
In the article, Shizuka Bernstein, owner and lead aesthetician of SHIZUKA new york Day Spa also spoke about what Hospitality (in Japanese term “Omotenashi”) means at the spa.
You can find many “Omotenashi” at SHIZUKA new york.
Signature Micro facial’s “Micro” comes from Micro manage which means to care detailed parts from head to toe.
Esthetisian and the writer of this article Megumi took one of our Spa Package “Renew-U Spa Package” and experienced our treatment from head to toe.
We’re glad to hear how much she enjoyed our treatments and felt the “omotenashi” through out the time at our spa.
You can read her experience at our spa from here
It’s your turn to experience our luxurious treatments and find out what “omotenashi” is all about!
Shizuka offers self skincare tips for fall on NY Japion
NY Japion, weekly paper in New York, features owner Shizuka Bernstein in their September 23rd, 2016 issue.
This article is a part of a series of “How to make a smooth bare skin” .
This is Shizuka’s second article for the series, and last time was about DIY skincare tips and how to do Anti Aging Facial at home.
First step for fall skin care is a deep cleansing to cleanse clogged pores caused by sunscreen use during the summer time.
In the article, Shizuka introduces DIY cleansing and moisturizing tips for this season.
Recommended products in the article:
Full article in Japanese from here
How to do Anti Aging Facial at home
NY Japion, weekly paper in New York, features owner Shizuka Bernstein in their September 9th, 2016 issue.
This article is a part of a series of “How to make a smooth bare skin” .
In this article, Shizuka offers DIY skincare tips and how to do Anti Aging Facial at home.
How to make a facial massage oil:
Mix Lavender essential oil and lubricant oil for face such as Jojoba oil.
Lavender has a side of natural antiseptic.
How to do mini Anti Aging Facial at home:
First, start from a massage to lift up for good blood flow.
- Use your index finger from sides of your nose to ears. Use your thumb from under your chin to under your ears.
- For forehead, between your eyebrows and go up, middle to sides.
- Start from inner corners of eyes and go outwards. (Massage lightly with your fingers for both 2 and 3)
- Lift up the sides of your lips.
Pressing specific points (Tsubo) of your Face is also effective.
- Bones around your eyes. (push up around your eye hole)
- Jaw joint. Press three times lightly with your finger for each point.
Finish it up with a massage to lower back the lymph flow.
Use three fingers (index finger, middle finger, third finger) and trace the points below with a gentle finger.
- Under eyes
- Jaw line
There’s many ways to prevent wrinkles.
- Lie on your back when you sleep. Sleeping side ways might cause wrinkles on the side your face that’s facing down.
- Use a thin pillow. Using a thick pillow might cause wrinkles around your neck.
- Don’t hesitate to use reading glasses. This will help to prevent wrinkles between eyebrows.
- Avoid Sunlight. Use Sunglasses and Sun protection daily.
- Don’t smoke. Smoking cigarette can age you.
These are just few examples, but there’s many other ways you can try in everyday life.
For a related spa treatment, SHIZUKA new york Day Spa offers Lifting Facial ($230), voted Best Facial NYC by New York Magazine.
Related blog posts;
Actress Yoka Wao introduces Geisha Facial on Japanese TV!
SHIZUKA new york’s Geisha Facial was introduced on Japanese TV program “Sekaino Nihonjin Zuma Wa Mita!” !
This show features Japanese lady who got married with a foreign man and talks about the difference between cultures.
One of our customers, Actress Yoka Wao introduced the Geisha Facial on this show!
She is a former Top star of Takarazuka, Japanese all-female musical theater troupe.
SHIZUKA new york’s Facials are awarded as Best Facial in New York Magazine’s Best of New York 2 times!
For Geisha Facial, Shizuka mixes nightingale droppings with delicate Japanese rice bran to enhance its inherent exfoliating and facial lightening properties.
Her skin looks softer and brighter after the Geisha Facial!
Many celebrities visits our spa for monthly treatment.
Ancient and prized Geisha beauty secret is artfully revived through the Geisha Facial ®.
You can tell from how they look!
Shizuka gives advice for how to get your best shave ever
Shizuka gave a tip for a recent article “Your Go-To Guide for The Best Shave Ever” on livestrong.com . This article shows step-by-step to get your best shave without damaging your skin.
“shaving gel is preferable to shaving cream because it’s less likely to clog your pores.”
As mentioned in the article, Shizuka says that moisturizing your skins is also the key to keep your skin looking and feeling great.
For your face, try our Shizuka New York Skincare system’s moisturizer.
The Shizuka New York Skincare System is holistically formulated in Japan and the products are all-natural, hypoallergenic and pH-balanced, and free of artificial fragrance, lanolin, animal byproducts, and harsh chemical irritants.
For your body, try Naturopathica’s Sicilian Bergamot body lotion.
Naturopathica combines certified natural and organic ingredients with Naturoceuticals, state-of-the-art skin care technology, and without harmful synthetics. This lightweight yet deeply moisturizing body lotion uses a high concentration of Aloe to nourish and soothe the skin.
The Atlanta Journal Constitution Lists this Spa for an Unforgettable Gift for Mom
A spa service at SHIZUKA new york Day Spa made it into the Atlanta Journal Constitution last week.
In an article titled: Top 3 ways to make your Mother’s Day gift unforgettable, SNY’s The Geisha Facial was mentioned as the only spa service in the U.S. to make an unforgettable mother’s day gift.
Now, both of those services are offered by spas outside of the U.S. But if you want something a little closer to home, you can always get your mom the Bird Poop Facial from a spa in New York.
Now Mom can enjoy this unforgettable gift any time of year with a SNY Gift Certificate. Choose from a variety of designs and have it emailed directly to her inbox.
See other recent press about SHIZUKA new york Day Spa here.
TruTV featured Shizuka New York Day Spa’s The Geisha Facial® on their show: Top 20 Funniest TV Blunders3!
They borrowed footage from Shizuka Bernstein’s Interview with RT TV News back in 2013 while poking fun at the prized ingredient: bird poop.
Shizuka assures the poop is sanitized and comes from a special breed of birds who are fed organic feed for the best quality bird poop around–only the best for our clients!
This treatment is popular among men and women alike, including women who are pregnant. Due to the all-natural ingredients used throughout the facial, The Geisha Facial® is a nourishing and deeply cleansing treatment even for those with sensitive skin.
Find our current spa deals here >>
An article about Shizuka and The Geisha Facial® appear in MSN Japan!
The article titled, Japanese originated ‘Nightingale Dropping ‘ Facial available at Hilton in England Now. Despite its scent writers praised its effect after giving it a try talks about The Geisha Facial’s “flight” overseas to spas in England and highlights the origin of The Geisha Facial®.
Even before “Bird Poop Facial” was introduced in England for the first time, Shizuka Bernstein, a Tokyo-born master aesthetician, has been offering The Geisha Facial® that includes a customized nightingale dropping exfoliate at her own spa in New York.
Her mother once told her that geishas would use the nightingale droppings to keep their skin clear and blemish-free, and that story inspired Shizuka to create this facial.
A writer for the The Daily Mirror, a UK publication, recently wrote a review about a facial performed by a spa in London, England that’s strikingly similar to Shizuka new york’s Geisha Facial® .
While other spas around the world may imitate The Geisha Facial®, the original was born right here in New York City by Shizuka Bernstein and her husband, the dermatologist, Dr. Robert M. Bernstein. We still think it’s worth responding to her review. Everyone’s entitled to an opinion, right?!
While some may believe the facial is effective but not worth the price point, we beg to differ. The years of research Shizuka and her husband put into the treatment process ensures it’s “scientifically correct” and effective for balancing out skin tone, deepening hydration, and to ensure it’s facial-worthy, it’s a highly relaxing and calming experience.
As a master aesthetician herself, Shizuka ensures that every Geisha Facial® is performed with techniques that fit her standard of care and precision for each and every client. “I want to bring Japanese beauty secrets to all my clients so that their skin may benefit from all-natural Japanese ingredients without having to leave the city. I’m not happy until my clients are satisfied with the results”, says Shizuka.
Every Geisha Facial® incorporates all-natural ingredients sourced directly from Japan like green tea, sake, and Mount Fuji water. With the help of Shizuka new york’s highly trained facialists, you’ll be transported to Japan and back in little under an hour!
- Learn more about Shizuka Bernstein’s The Geisha Facial®
- Make an appointment to experience the original facial for yourself!
The Times of India included Shizuka new york Day Spa’s The Geisha Facial® in its list of bizarre facials that deliver ‘diva-approved’ results!
Celebrity fans of the facial are Tom Cruise and Victoria and David Beckham.
Here’s what The Times of India had to say:
Glow with bird poop
If there is something other, that Tom Cruise is known to advocate for after Scientology, it’s the bird poop facial. Not one for the botox and surgeries, rubbing a concoction of nightingale poop, rice bran and water gives his face the shine that he is looking for. The nightingale poop facial, also known as the Geisha facial as it originates from Japan, is known to exfoliate the dirt from the skin and leave it shining and squeaky clean. Guess who introduced him to the ways of the nightingale? Good friend David Beckham. He and his wife, Posh are known to be high on the treatment too.
Related blog posts:
- Holiday Gift Ideas from Shizuka New York and The Associated Press
- Shamenet Magazine names The Geisha Facial® as one of the Most Unique Spa Treatments in the World!
- Shizuka’s BeautyZen Corner: Geisha Beauty Secrets
- U.S. Spa Market Analysis claims The Geisha Facial® is Trending
Have you tried The Geisha Facial® yet?
Even leading make-up artists insist on facial massages before applying make up to stimulate collagen production and wake up facial muscles to lift and firm skin. See what Style.com writes about Shizuka Bernstein’s The Lifting Facial:
The Service: The Lifting Facial
The Pain Is Worth the Gain: “This treatment gently stimulates and tones muscles while oxygenating the skin for a more rejuvenated appearance,” says Shizuka Bernstein. “And in addition to manual massage, we use a microcurrent machine to further stimulate the facial muscles. Its ionization helps products to penetrate farther into the skin. We use ingredients like algae and a collagen fiber mask with green tea. Pore extraction and light massage complete the treatment.”
Related Blog Post:
India’s newspaper, The Business Standard, reports on the efficacy of Anti-Aging Facials and touts Shizuka new york’s The Geisha Facial® in their article titled: Anti-Aging Facials can Save you from Losing that Youthful Appearance.
Manhattan’s Shizuka New York Day Spa specializes in the Nightingale facial in which bird droppings, which removes dead cells, are slathered onto a client’s face to give a youthful appearance.
With a wide range of facials and treatments available to choose from, Shizuka Bernstein advises on the best time to receive an anti-aging facial:
“Basically, anti-aging facials are unnecessary before the age of 25. These treatments are most effective once the skin begins to age, which is generally in someone’s 30’s (depending on their lifestyle, genetics, etc.). With that said, it’s never too late to begin an anti-aging regimen.”
Related blog post:
- Are Hi-Power Facials the new Fountain of Youth?
- Hey Sleeping Beauty–An Extra Hour of Beauty Sleep Awaits!
- The Anti-Aging Serum that Does what it Says (without costing a lot)
Click here for more information about Shizuka new york’s Anti-Aging Facials>>
The Limoneira Company recognized Shizuka as a Beauty Opinion Leader in their February 2014 newsletter. Shizuka has been offering her expert advice on skin care and beauty for 20 years.
Limoneira’s February Newsletter focuses on ways to promote natural beauty with lemons through their UNLEASH THE NATURAL POWER OF LEMONS CAMPAIGN. Check out Shizuka’s tips for hydrating skin naturally using a lemon juice face mask.
Related Blog Post: How to Hydrate Dry Skin Naturally
From the report titled, Trends-In-Sight: U.S. Spa Market Activity :
In the beauty and spa industry, R&D specialists and marketers
alike look to nature for product inspiration. The newest spa treat-
ments are inspired by birds, mollusks and insects! The Shizuka Spa
in New York City offers “The Geisha Facial,” also known as a “Bird
Poop Facial,” which is a Japanese treatment made with Asian Night-
ingale excrement and rice bran. It is believed that the bird waste
contains a natural enzyme from its seed diet and this enzyme is
said to smooth and soften the skin.
Click here for more information about The Geisha Facial®
NY Weekly Japion featured Shizuka Bernstein, owner of SHIZUKA new york Day Spa, in their January 10th, 2014 issue.
In the article, Shizuka offers DIY skincare tips to hydrate dry skin naturally and effectively at home for plump skin throughout the winter months.
Follow these steps to nourish and hydrate dry skin naturally:
- After washing your face, warm a wet towel in the microwave and wrap it around the face. This will open pores and will feel very relaxing.
- Next, massage the face with jojoba oil, almond oil, and 1-2 drops of essential oil. Use upward circular movements whenever performing a facial massage to help lift and rejuvenate the skin.
- Make a face mask by mixing together lemon juice, honey, and a small amount of grated apple. Shizuka says, “the acid from the apple will help slough away dead skin”. Leave on for 3-5 minutes before washing away.
- Wrap the face with another hot towel to wipe away any excess from the mask and warm the skin.
- Finish by applying a moisturizer that’s been chilled in the refrigerator. This tightens pores while sealing in moisture.
Additionally, Shizuka suggests taking daily measures to ensure skin stays hydrated such as using a humidifier and drinking water after consuming alcohol.
For a related spa treatment, SHIZUKA New York Day Spa offers the Plant Stem Cell Facial ($ 160). This facial combines Naturopathica’s powerful anti-ager, Plant Stem Cell Serum, with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies for a deeply hydrating facial–this facial is perfect for hydrating dry winter skin!
Related blog posts:
Whether you’re a facial veteran or are about to get your first facial ever—knowing how to prepare your skin for your treatment will help extend the life of the facial keeping your face aglow longer.
Here are a few tips to help you prepare for a facial:
– Know your skin. While our skilled estheticians will let you know the best treatment upon examining your skin, it’s best to already know which areas you’d like to target. For example: Tone down oily skin, target acne prone areas, focus on lifting, deep cleansing with pore extraction, etc.. Communicate this to your esthetician and your treatment will be specially catered to your needs.
- No scrubbing. Skip harsh cleansers or facial exfoliants before your treatment. Your facial will consist of exfoliation and most likely pore extraction as well, so leave the dirty work to a trained professional!
- Save new products for later. Just clean your face following your usual cleansing routine. It’s best not to experiment with new products right before a facial so that your skin can be examined in its “usual” state. Using new products may have adverse reactions on your skin (i.e. over drying, inflammation, etc.), so it’s best to hold off until after your treatment.
- To steam or not to steam. This is a personal preference that doesn’t positively or negatively affect your treatment. Some like to use a sauna before a facial to relax and open up pores. While this is an option, it’s not necessary since your face will be steamed and cleaned for an hour or more anyway.
- Remove makeup. While estheticians will remove makeup for you before beginning your facial, you can arrive to the spa 5-10 minutes earlier and remove it yourself to save time. Or just arrive without makeup altogether.
It’s never too early to start getting regular facials for optimum skin health! Shizuka began getting facial treatments in her 20’s and says “facials have helped keep my skin clear and firm throughout the years”. See Shizuka’s related post for tips on how to continually refine your skincare routine: Look Great in Every Decade
- What special measures do you take to prepare your skin for a facial?
- Book an appointment ONLINE using our Secure Online Booking System
- Don’t know which facial is best for you, try our interactive facial finder
Related blog post:
As winter begins, our skin starts to become dry and itchy, and many start to get sore throats and common colds. Check out these tips to prevent and avoid these annoying winter symptoms!
The best percentage of humidity for people is 40%~60%. It’s so important to keep your body hydrated and skin moisturized all year round. Placing a humidifier in your home during the dry winter months can help prevent your skin from becoming overly dry and itchy.
Where to place the humidifier?
Because a humidifier reaches all over the room, it really doesn’t matter where you place it. However, it’s better to keep it away from walls and windows. If it’s too close, mold or mildew may develop from the condensation. What’s important is which heater and which humidifier you actually use.
When you use a humidifier it’s best to place it at least 1 yard away from you so it hydrates you well. Only one humidifier is needed in each room and be sure to close the door. When you’re away from home, turn off the machine and leave the door or window open to let the humidity go.
Which humidifier do you recommend?
-Shizuka loves the Air-O-Swiss Humidifier.
What are other ways to prevent dryness?
It is important to take care of your skin but it’s also important to take preventative measures before your skin gets too dry.
1) Avoid hot water and harsh soaps- Hot water and harsh soaps strip moisture away from your skin. Use a natural wash cloth rather than a synthetic one.
2) Take a bath by soaking the body in warm water. This will soothe nerves and enhance the cell metabolism and increase blood circulation which leads to beautiful skin. Also, it opens up and drains pores. The ideal water temperature should range between 96F to 105F. If the water is too hot it may overburden your body. Bath agents or bath oils are recommended to moisturize your skin and further relax you as well.
3) After taking a bath or shower, pat your body with dry towel quickly and apply moisturizer. It penetrates into the skin when skin is still wet and soft. However, if you leave the skin too long without applying anything, skin gets drier due to water evaporation.
These products are great for combating dry skin: