As summer’s sweltering temperatures may make you want to move to cooler shores, you can at least keep your skin glowing throughout the heat wave. Here are some top tips on how to get glowing skin all summer long.
Summer Facial Care Tips: How to Get Glowing Skin all Summer Long
It’s easy to underplay the importance of facials in the summer: why get a facial when I’ll just be slathering sunscreen on it a moment after, you might ask? The skin really takes a beating in the summer and while we protect it with sun screens and blocks, those can easily clog pores and lead to acne. To offset the effect of summertime skincare, facials reset skin by clearing out pores of buildup from sunscreen and makeup that builds up over time. Get a facial at least once during the summer season and one right before autumn begins. This will reset the skin by giving it a deep cleansing while de-stressing the skin.
Related blog post: An Anti-Aging Facial that’s also an Immunity Booster
During the summer be on guard against free radicals that damage skin and cause pre-mature aging. While protecting your skin from the sunlight is of utmost importance, consider adding free radical damage prevention to your summertime skin care routine. It’s just as important to build up skin defenses against free radicals. Stock up on antioxidants and vitamin C serum to keep the skin protected against fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and uneven complexion. These anti-inflammatories also help ward off excess redness (inflammation).
Related blog post: Preserve your Youthful Glow with Vitamin C Power Gel
Even if you’re not acne prone, it’s best to practice keeping skin as oil-free as possible to reduce shine and to prevent against future breakouts. Wash your face as much as possible after sweating (and be sure to reapply sunscreen). Sweating releases the body’s toxins out through the pores and if sweat sits on your face for long it can become a breeding ground for bacteria leading to acne, inflammation, and clogged pores. You can also carry oil blotting sheets, or keep a towel or small rag on hand.
Related blog post: Product Highlight: SHIZUKA new york Clay Cleanser
Most people aren’t aware that going in and out of air conditioned environments and into the scorching sun can severely dehydrate the skin. Dehydrated skin can start to itch and flake leading to other concerns relating to premature aging. Stay hydrated to keep your skin fortified with moisture from the inside out. Drink plenty of water and eat fruits and vegetables and anything else with high water content, like green tea.
Related blog post: Refreshing Spa Water Recipes
Click here for our current Spa Deals >>
To make an appointment, use our Online Booking System >>
How to get your Vitamin D Levels Up While Protecting your Skin
Vitamin D, also known as the “sunshine vitamin,” does more for your body than you think: it influences nearly 3,000 different genes in your body. Receptors that respond to the vitamin have been found in almost every type of cell, from the brain to the heart to the bones. The skin also benefits tremendously from Vitamin D. Having a sufficient amount helps minimize acne, boost elasticity, stimulate collagen production, enhance radiance, and lessen the appearance of lines and dark spots. The Institute of Medicine of the National Academies’ Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for vitamin D is 600 IU (International Units) a day for people between the ages of 1 and 70. This amount can be easily acquired through sun exposure, the most natural method, certain foods, and supplements. While vitamin D is most easily and naturally acquired through sun exposure, waiving skin protection can come with a price. New York City dermatologist Dr. Robert M. Bernstein of Bernstein Medical advises, “Going into the sun without proper protection can have dangerous adverse reactions to the skin over time like sun spots and skin cancer. It’s better to wear sunscreen and protect your skin at all times.”
The Sunscreen Factor
Proponents of getting vitamin D through sun absorption, like The Vitamin D Council, suggest exposing yourself to the sun for 10 to 15 minutes before applying sunscreen. The Vitamin D Council touts: “The most natural way to get vitamin D is by exposing your bare skin to sunlight (ultraviolet B rays). This can happen very quickly, particularly in the summer. You don’t need to tan or burn your skin to get vitamin D. You only need to expose your skin for around half the time it takes for your skin to turn pink and begin to burn. How much vitamin D is produced from sunlight depends on the time of day, where you live in the world and the color of your skin. The more skin you expose the more vitamin D is produced.”
The problem with exposing bare skin to sunlight before sunscreen is that any amount of time in the sun without proper protection greatly increases the risk of skin cancer and causes the skin to age prematurely.
Sunlight Effects Aging Skin
In addition to an increased risk of skin cancer, sun exposure also greatly ages the skin and can cause DNA damage. The sun’s UV rays can greatly effect the skin’s appearance by causing premature aging. Examples of this include wrinkles, hyperpigmentation like sun spots, sagging, fine lines, and leathering. Fortunately, we don’t have to fry our skin to get vitamin D, there are others ways to make sure we get our daily dose of the “sunshine vitamin”.
Vitamin D Foods
While the amount of vitamin D present in these foods isn’t enough to achieve the daily recommended dose, any little bit can certainly help. Vitamin D foods are:
Fatty fish (ex: salmon)
Fortified milk and orange juice
Vitamin D Daily Supplements
There are two kinds of vitamin D supplements on the market today: D2 and D3. D3 is the closest to the what the body produces from sunlight. It’s converted into its active form much faster than D2 and is available in more potent dosages.
Dermatologists emphasize the most effective alternative to sun exposure and vitamin D-fortified foods are daily supplements. Dr. Bernstein concurs: “The easiest and most risk-free way of getting your vitamin D levels up is to take supplements.”
For smoother, brighter, and younger looking skin, Microdermabrasion and Chemical Peels are two go-to methods that effectively “peel” away signs of aging. While each treatment method is different, both effectively help to eliminate wrinkles, hyperpigmentation (sun & age spots), enlarged pores, and blemishes.
Peels are specialized exfoliation treatments that, conveniently, have little or no down time. Peels may be repeated every 2-3 weeks until the desired effect is reached.
For optimum rejuvenation and to increase your skin’s health and vibrancy, peels are recommended once a month to coincide with its natural and continual 4-5 week renewal process.
DIY products can be used at home, but they are less potent than professional-grade peels. Read on for a treatment guide by Shizuka New York’s skin experts:
Go for a Crystal Peel (Microdermabrasion) if your skin is:
- Sun-damaged (brown spots)
A fine crystal powder blasts across the skin’s surface to physically break up and exfoliate dead skin while a suction simultaneously vacuums the powder and dead skin away from the face revealing a new “polished” layer of skin.
Crystal Peels are ideal for unclogging pores and freeing skin from bacteria that may be lurking on the surface. If you have acne, it’s best to stay away from Crystal Peels since the procedure is likely to spread bacteria across the face. Crystal Peels are also NOT recommended if you have sensitive skin, broken capillaries, or rosacea (see IPL below).
At Shizuka New York, our Crystal Peel treatment includes a light layer of salicylic or lactic acid (depending on your skin type) to soften the skin’s surface for the microdermabrasion to follow. This customized prep allows for a very thorough and complete exfoliation process.
Go for a Chemical Peel if your skin is:
-Blotchy (uneven complexion)
Chemical Peels utilize an acid solution combining TCA, Salicylic and Lactic acids to break down and exfoliate dead skin cells for removal. Chemical Peels are recommended for all skin types, especially acneic skin as it lifts away bacteria that has settled into pores. They also lighten brown spots promoting an even complexion.
At Shizuka New York we offer two chemical peels: Lunchtime Peel & Total Skin Rejuvenation. The Lunchtime Peel has very little or no downtime. If minor peeling/flaking occurs, make up may be used to conceal it. The Total Skin Rejuvenation treatment will cause peeling/flaking of the skin for 5-7 days.
DIY Chemical Peel products~
If you have sensitive skin, Enzyme Peels offer a gentler alternative to Chemical Peels. They’re contracted from fruit enzymes and work the same way Crystal and Chemical Peels do but are much milder. You can add on a customized Enzyme Peel to any Shizuka New York facial treatment for $30.
DIY Enzyme Peel products~
We also offer IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) which penetrates deeper layers of skin, or dermis, than peels. Short pulses of light target broken capillaries, rosacea, and hyperpigmentation (sun and age spots) while leaving the skin’s surface intact. IPL also aids in skin rejuvenation as it stimulates collagen production.
Post-peel skin care:
Whether you choose a Peel or IPL, it’s highly recommended to apply sunscreen before going outdoors, both to protect your new skin and the treatment’s results.
The application of Epidermal Growth Factor gel is also highly recommended for advanced healing. EGF gel aids new skin generation with nourishing hydration, while preventing excessive peeling/flaking.
Check out current Spa Deals HERE>>
Want a radiant and glowing complexion that lasts throughout all the Fashion Week frenzy?
Up your Fashion Week skin care routine with a Collagen Fiber Mask chock-full of anti-oxidants, soothing aloe vera, and skin brighteners.
Most SHIZUKA new york spa facials include a customized Collagen Fiber Mask treatment for deeply hydrated, smooth, and positively glowing skin.
Collagen Fiber Masks serve to not only replenish lost collagen, but they also promote further collagen production, leaving your skin smooth and firm long after your treatment.
Want a quick collagen infusion? Add a Collagen Fiber Mask to the Express or Classic Facial for an additional $30.
See our current Spa Deals here >>
How do you prep your skin for a busy week?
Check out CBS New’s extensive coverage of our Geisha “bird poop” Facial®!
A recent article in Fox News Magazine highlights creative ways to use the summertime heat for great skin.
Read on for Shizuka’s summertime tips for eliminating dull dry skin:
To make sure your skin is in tip-top shape, it’s especially important to cleanse properly when the temperature rises. Experts say now is the time to thoroughly exfoliate every week to remove impurities from the skin and keep pores clog-free. New York City-based celebrity facialist Shizuka Bernstein suggests applying a hot towel to the skin for five minutes after removing makeup and washing skin thoroughly. Follow this by exfoliating gently with a scrub that’s ideal for sensitive skin.
Do you have oily or acne prone skin? Try SHIZUKA new york’s Clay Cleanser with Moroccan Lava Clay, Green Tea, and Peppermint. It absorbs surface oils and rids impurities as it soothes and brightens skin.
Summer is all about being outside; whether it’s building sandcastles on the beach, picnicking in the park, enjoying a backyard barbeque, or just basking on a some stepsâ€”outdoors is the place to be!
While the warm sun feels wonderful on your skin, it can really dry it out (even if you’re in the shade!), eventually leaving your skin starving for some nutrient-rich moisturizing.
In the name of summer and all things relaxing, we came up with a list of our most popular “sun repair” spa treatments that will heal and soothe sun drenched skin, providing deep hydration and relief (& will prepare you for some more fun in the sun!)
For the Face:
- The Geisha Facial - The Geisha Facial has received a lot of press due to its much lauded ingredient, Uguisu no Fun or Nightingale droppings. But many forget is that this is a full service facial including a hydrating camellia oil facial massage and antioxidant-rich Green Tea Collagen mask. The mask works to reduce signs of aging by encouraging further collagen production and saturates the skin with free radical fighting antioxidants.
- GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – This facial incorporates specially coded LED lights that promote a process called photomodulation in the skin. Much like photosynthesis in plants, the LED lights work to stimulate and promote healthy skin production.
- Naturopathica’s Natural Face Lift Facial - Combined with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies, this high performance treatment uses Naturopathica brand products including Plant Stem Cell Serum (a powerful antioxidant blend) to deliver deep hydration and gently firms and tones the skin.
For the Body:
- Coffee Break Mud Wrap - This 50min heated treatment uses a natural body scrub that includes Black Silt Clay and Coffee Arabica to exfoliate and draw out impurities. It also includes Indian Sarsaparilla and Shea Butter to clarify skin and seal in moisture.
For the Hands & Feet:
- Espresso Mud Pedicure -This sensually invigorating pedicure uses a mud mixture to exfoliate and deeply hydrate your feet. In addition to nail and cuticle care, and buffing/color; this treatment includes added moisturizing and light massage.
- Sakura Pedicure & Nagomi Manicure – These are our signature manicure and pedicure treatments that include the most pampering and nail care. We use the natural harnessing power of ingredients like Crystallized Honey, Rice Bran, Sake-Kasu, and a handmade and chemical free Yuzu Massage Cream to fully exfoliate and deeply hydrate the hands and feet.
The Nest talks with Shizuka Bernstein, Celebrity Esthetician and Owner of SHIZUKA New York Day Spa, about summer beauty products in their article:
Shizuka describes Naturopathica’s Lavender Protective Moisturizer SPF 17 as an ideal summertime skin care product that’s great for use year round.
“This moisturizer from Naturopathica is a perfect makeup base in the summer, offering UVA and UVB protection with a smooth, matte finish,” says Bernstein. “Micronized zinc oxide is a physical sun blocker, so it doesn’t penetrate the skin, which means it doesn’t irritate it. But the secret ingredient is turmeric root, which reduces redness and helps inhibit melanin production for added protection. I love this product and use it all year round!”
Today’s article in The New York Times offers a fresh perspective on facial toner. It was once scoffed as unnecessary, but doctors are now proving it an effective element to any cleansing routine.
“They used to be associated with pimply skin and were alcohol-based or made to control the production of oil while rebalancing the skin’s pH levels. Like anything else, they’ve dramatically changed. They’re now used as a second stage of cleansing, and treat a variety of issues. They can exfoliate, reduce redness, fight aging and brighten the skin.”
- Dr. Paul Frank, a cosmetic dermatologist and the founder of the Fifth Avenue Dermatology Surgery and Laser Center
Shizuka New York’s Skin Freshener is perfect for the summer, a time when the skin becomes excessively oily. To give this Mt. Fuji water tonic its moment in the sun, Shizuka is offering 30% off throughout the month of June!
This skin-softening tonic is made with pure Mt. Fuji mineral water that’s been filtered through the mountain’s sacred volcanic rock. All Shizuka New York Skincare products are made with natural ingredients sourced from Japan.
Skin Freshener’s non-drying formula includes pure Mt. Fuji water, mushroom extract, and soothing calendula and sage to hydrate, remove excess oil, and gently exfoliate the skin. Refreshing lemon and antioxidant-rich green tea purifies and balances the skin to shrink pores while preparing it for better absorption of serums and creams that follow.
The result is a softer, smoother, brighter, and more balanced complexion.
As your wedding day draws nearer, the last thing you want to be stressing over is your skin. It’s always a good idea to get a head start on a season-specific regimen (in this case: summer!) that will leave your skin smooth and glowing on your big day.
Shizuka’s Suggestions to Summer Bridal Beauty
For summer brides, the best skin care regimen includes a deep cleansing facial cleanser, toner, and a an oil-free moisturizer. While the deep cleanser helps keep your pores flushed, the toner will replace the healthy fatty acids and antioxidants that may have been stripped from the cleansing. An oil-free moisturizer will seal in hydration without clogging pores which is especially important during the summer.
Wedding planning brings about a lot of stress, and stress, unfortunately, also leads to premature aging. To keep fine lines at bay, be sure to use an antioxidant rich serum to help boost collagen production. In addition, serums also work to help plump and hydrate dry skin.
As you get closer to the big day, be sure to exfoliate regularly. Exfoliation will slough away the dead skin cells and any bacteria that lead to acne break outs. It also helps to smooth and even your complexion. Always follow exfoliation with a deeply hydrating serum, cream, or mask.
All those nerves may make it difficult to get a good amount of “beauty rest” right before the wedding day, so I recommend applying a cold compress to the eyes to help reduce puffiness in the morning. Use chilled green tea bags for a quick and easy way to sooth puffy eyes in a flash.
Have more bridal beauty questions for Shizuka? Feel free to leave a comment or send an email to: [email protected]
Memorial Day is just a few weeks away, bringing with it the warm summer months to follow. Here are some tips to looking and feeling your best throughout the summer months!
1. Screen your skin!: In order to protect against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays, generously coat all exposed skin with sunscreen, preferably broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher. Also, just applying once isn’t enough–remember to reapply every two hours, especially after swimming or extensive sweating.
Related blog post>> Top Summer Skin Mistake
2. Post lunch: Most people forget that the skin on your lips is also susceptible to sun damage, so be sure to wear lip balm with SPF. Don’t forget to reapply especially after eating or drinking.
3. Made in shades: Wear sunglasses with lenses that provide UV protection. Too much sun over time can actually damage your eyes, not to mention the fine lines that can accrue from too much squinting.
4. Exfoliate & moisturize!: Show off soft smooth skin by making it a habit to exfoliate regularly and moisturize daily. When you exfoliate, dead skin cells are sloughed off revealing smoother skin. Moisturizing everyday will not only keep your skin hydrated, but will help your skin retain water and look smoother. SNY Moisturizer goes on light and silky and provides the benefits of immediate hydration.
5. Wax not wane: Consider waxing to get rid of unwanted body hair during the summer months. In most cases, a waxing will last for 4-6 weeks. IPL (or Intense Pulsed Light) is considered a more permanent hair removal solution, however, IPL treatments make the skin more sensitive to sunlight. Because of this, the procedure is best left for the cooler winter months when skin is less likely to be exposed to direct sunlight. If you do receive IPL during the summer, take care to wear protective clothing and reapply SPF 30 or higher regularly to the treated areas.
Related blog post>> 5 Summer Waxing Tips from Shizuka NY
6. Footsie play: Get a spa pedicure with exfoliation to get your feet sandal ready! Have fun and choose colors that compliment your sandals or add-on a bit of reflexology to soothe and recharge tired feet.
7. Aloe me: Keep some aloe vera or aloe-based ointment or moisturizer on hand in case of accidental sunburn to skin. Aloe will help relieve the pain and can help the skin heal faster. Continue to apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to the affected area(s).
8. Daily cleanse: Be sure to cleanse skin properly each day to keep pores free from sweat and sunscreen build-up. Sweating actually purifies your skin by releasing bacteria and other toxins through your pores. However, when you let the sweat dry on your skin, the sitting bacteria can lead to breakouts and major acne. SNY Clay Cleanser is great for summertime cleansing and the cooling effect of peppermint will leave your skin cool and refreshed.
Related blog post>> Product Highlight: Shizuka NY Clay Cleanser
9. G’day: As the sun beats down on you, especially during the scorching afternoon hours, be sure to wear a hat or scarf to protect your scalp from burning. Scarves in light colored fabrics such as white, khaki, or pastels will help keep you cool by reflecting heat instead of absorbing it like dark colors. Brimmed hats made of natural fibers such as straw, linen or cotton will help your scalp breathe and will help protect your face as well. If hats and scarves aren’t your thing, consider using an umbrella instead. It will keep you cool and help protect your skin, scalp AND hair from ultimate summertime burnout!
10. Bugs beware: To avoid unsightly bug bites and itchy rashes from mosquitoes, ticks, and gnats, consider trying natural alternatives to chemical-based repellents. Apply any combination of essential oils like cedar oil, citronella oil, clove oil, geranium oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, and even the juice from garlic cloves will help keep mosquitoes and other bugs (and maybe even other humans too) at bay.
11. HydrateHydrateHydrate: Drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic beverages will help keep your skin and hair hydrated and healthy. Alcohol tends to dehydrate the skin and hair, so be sure to replenish your system with plenty of water and electrolytes after every mojito and margarita!
Get a mini-Shizuka New York facial everyday of the week!
Take home products from the Shizuka New York Skincare System and give yourself a mini-facial everyday! We use a customized combination of the Shizuka New York Foaming and Clay Cleansers, Toner, and Moisturizer in every facial offered at the spa.
The skin care line was formulated by Shizuka and her husband, a dermatologist, Dr. Robert M. Bernstein. The line was created after years of careful research and testing and in following with Shizuka’s goal to offer a holistic line of products made with premium natural ingredients found in Japan.
Every product features pure spring water from Mt. Fuji and other natural ingredients such as: sake, rice bran, pearl protein, soy, green tea, aloe, lavender, and peppermint.
Using a cleanser, toner and moisturizer from one product line is always ideal since the products are formulated to work together to optimize your skin’s health.
The Shizuka New York Skincare System works great for anti-aging, brightening, restoring hydration and antioxidants, and helps control acne.
Lavender and skin care go hand in hand. Its soothing aroma is useful for treating anxiety and insomnia while its antiseptic property acts as an all natural antibacterial component to purify the skin. Infuse lavender skin care into your summertime beauty routine!
During these hot summer days, we invite you to give extra attention to keeping your skin free of bacteria that can lead to acne. Relax with these soothing lavender skincare facial cleansers:
Aloe Cleansing Gel – A foaming sulfate-free cleanser with a refreshing blend of Aloe Vera and Lavender that gently clarifies the skin while maintaining natural moisture.
Lavender oil, known for its antioxidant and antibacterial properties, can be found in our Shizuka New York Skincare System as well:
Shizuka NY Moisturizer – This moisturizer is a non-greasy and absorbs immediately to hydrate, condition and rejuvenate, and works to clarify and brighten the complexion.
Shizuka NY Foaming Cleanser -This Foaming Cleanser is used in most facial treatments in our NYC day spa and contains a slew of other nourishing ingredients leaving the skin renewed, softer and more supple.
Check out the latest mention of our Halloween Week Special – Geisha facial here! There’s still time to take advantage of our exclusive Halloween Week spa deals. So hurry, offers end October 31st, 2011!
While the idea of a daily facial seems unlikely, especially for those constantly on the go, there are a couple things you can do daily to keep your skin happy and healthy this season.
As the weather gets cooler and the air dryer, it’s important to remain mindful of the foods we eat. It’s difficult to determine the exact correlation certain foods have on skin conditions, but for most, a slight change in the way we eat can bring a drastic improvement to our skin. Samantha Heller, MS, RD, a clinical nutritionist at NYU Medical Center in New York City, says, “Everything you eat becomes a part of not only your inner being, but the outer fabric of your body as well. The healthier the foods are that you consume, the better your skin will look”.
To ensure you’re getting enough essential vitamins to nourish your skin from the inside out, we’ve compiled a list of seasonal winter foods to look out for the next time you go grocery shopping. For ultimate skin protection, we’ve paired them with our vitamin-infused topical serums and potions for a customized mini-facial everyday!
Reduce wrinkles, curb inflammation, improve skin tone, increase collagen levels: Eat foods rich in Vitamin C like sweet potatoes, red peppers, pineapple, oranges, and dark green leafy vegetables. Vitamin C is best known to strengthen your immune system but can also protect your skin’s cells and tissues from premature aging. Apply our Vitamin C Power Gel for a Vitamin C boost and Beech Tree & Ginseng Daily Moisturizer.
Soft, smooth, radiant skin: Eat foods rich in Vitamin E like fortified cereals, almonds, turnip greens, tomatoes, pine nuts, and avocado. Vitamin E helps fight off toxins in your body and acts as a powerful antioxidant.
Build up anti-aging defense mechanisms in your skin, even skin tone, reduce skin irritation and itchiness: Eat foods rich with Beta Carotene like carrots, pumpkins, squash, sweet potatoes, broccoli and spinach. Beta Carotene promotes cell growth and increases immunity. Apply Pumpkin Purifying Enzyme Peel to naturally exfoliate dead skin cells, and for mature skin apply Sweet Cherry Brightening Enzyme Peel which is infused with both Beta Carotene and Vitamin C.
Reduce the appearance of dark under eye circles and skin discoloration: Eat foods rich in Vitamin K like olive oil, scallions, Brussels sprouts, kale, asparagus, broccoli, and pears. Vitamin K plays an important role in blood clotting and bone health but also helps heal skin discolorations and scarring. Apply Vitamin K Brightening Eye Serum to under eye circles and our Anti-Redness Gel (also infused with Vitamins C and E) to reduce the appearance of redness and small capillaries.
Smoother, naturally hydrated skin: Eat foods with Hyaluronic Acid like fish and poultry. Hyalauronic Acid helps to hydrate and tightly bond skin cells together. Apply our Hyaluronic Acid Gel for deep skin hydration and Glycolic Purifying Peel for both exfoliation and hydration, for normal to oily skin.
Healthy glowing skin: Eat foods rich in complex B vitamins like whole grains, poultry, fish, and eggs. B vitamins helps build healthy cells and can help even out skin tone.
Check out our current Spa Deals here>>
Can’t make it to the spa? Check out our online store>>
Hello Shizuka new york fans
Our current news letters has been updated!
(Don’t forget to subscribe for our deals and updates! –> Click here)
Please check out the News letter Vol. 101 and book your appointments with latest deals!
After Summer Spa Deals:
Through October 31, 2011
Express Facial (40min) – $60 (Reg. $95)
The Express Facial cleanses the pores with signature all-natural products from Shizuka NY. If you’d like to enhance this facial, try adding an Enzyme Peel, Extra Extraction and/or Collagen Mask. Please ask our receptionists for prices.
Lightening Facial (80min) – $140 (Reg. $180)
The Lightening Facial is the perfect marriage of pore cleansing and skin brightening, reducing the appearance of dark spots.
IPL Spot Treatment – $150 and up (Reg. $200 and up)
The IPL Spot Treatment focuses primarily on reducing hyperpigmentation on specific areas of the skin with Intense Pulsed Light (IPL).
Spa deals are available through October 31, 2011.** Schedule your appointment now by using our online request form (promo code: summer) or call (212) 644-7400.
The end of Summer brings our Shiatsu Lunch Special to a close. The last day to save up to 30% on this popular spa treatment will be September 30th, 2011. Our Brazilian Bikini Wax and Eyelash Perm Lunch Specials will be ongoing.
**Spa Deals may not be combined with any other coupons or promotions, including Spa Finder gift Certificates.
The summer solstice today marks the beginning of the season of beaches, parks, and sun. Just in time, the Federal Drug Administration has recently issued new rules that are intended to improve the way sun protection products are marketed and used.
Here are a few important points to keep in mind when purchasing and using sunscreen this summer:
- SPF only refers to protection from the sun’s UVB rays. In order to prevent sunburn, premature skin aging, and skin cancer, you need broad spectrum UVB and UVA protection.
- SPF is based on testing that uses large amounts of product on the skin. In order to be effectively protected, apply more sunscreen than you may want to, and more often than you normally would.
- There is no such thing as a waterproof sunscreen. All sunscreens lose effectiveness when you sweat or swim. In these cases, reapply frequently.
- There is very little difference between SPF 30 and SPF 50. There is no need to purchase a sunscreen with SPF higher than 50. Rather, look for broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection and reapply frequently.
- In addition to using sunscreen with SPF 30-50 daily, you should protect your body with clothing and light-blocking hats and umbrellas.
When you venture outdoors this summer, take care of your skin to prevent sunburn, premature aging, and skin cancer.
Recommended Sun Protection Product:
Super Sheer Sunscreen SPF 50+
By DCL Skin Care
DCL Skin Care’s Super Sheer Sunscreen SPF 50+ combines high UVB absorption and powerful UVA blockage for broad spectrum protection in an elegant silky sheer, matte finish that leaves the skin residue free.
The superb photo protective performance of ultra microfine zinc oxide contributes to the high SPF protection while supplemental antioxidants safeguard the skin from environmental free-radical damage.
Size: 1.7 Fl oz / 50 mL
We’ve been telling you about the dangers of tanning for awhile now. In case you need a quick refresher, here it is in a nutshell:
- Tanning is a MAJOR cancer risk, according to the World Health Organization, along with arsenic and mustard gas, due to the UV rays in sunlight and in tanning beds.
- Tanning is your skin’s natural reaction to DEFEND itself from the sun’s UV radiation, not encourage you to stay out longer.
- Tanning seriously ages your skin, weakening connective tissues in your skin, causing fine lines and wrinkles as well as hyperpigmentation (sun spots).
Here’s more bad news for the tanners out there. If you’ve been in search of that ever-elusive full body tan, you will be searching a long time, according to a new study.
Published in Experimental Dermatology, the study found that some parts of your body (ex. buttocks) are just less prone to holding a tan. There’s tan through swimwear out there in addition to nude sunbathing, tanning beds, and that guy above. However, our bodies seem to be telling us that there are some places that are just not meant to be tan. Staying out for hours in the sun may not get you closer to the full body tan and it only increases your risk of skin cancer.
So stick to spray tanning or, better yet, no tanning. Keep in mind that skin cancer is on the rise, especially among younger women, and ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS protect your skin with a sunscreen of at least SPF 30 daily.
As the perfect mini-getaway from NYC, or before you head out to the beach this summer try one of Shizuka NY’s Mini Spa Package specials good through Labor Day, September 7, 2009.
Classic Facial + Eyelash Tinting or Eyebrow Tinting $150 $132
Classic Facial + Eyelash Perm $200 $176
Classic Facial + 50 Minute Swedish Massage $215 $189.20
Don’t forget that the T-Zone Facial is also on special through Labor Day.
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.
Celebrity funny-man Will Ferrell of Anchorman and Saturday Night Live fame uses his best “assets” to support cancer survivors with his new line of sunscreens.
With provocative names such as “Sexy Hot Tan,” “Forbidden Fruit” and “Sun Stroke,” 100% of the proceeds of Ferrell’s signature sunscreens benefit Cancer For College, an organization that provides college scholarships to cancer survivors. According to CFC’s website, over 10,000 bottles have already been sold.
In true Ferrell form, the descriptions of the SPF 30 sunscreens are equally as hilarious as the very exposing pictures of him on each bottle:
- Sexy Hot Tan
Are you Sexy? Are You Hot? Then who wouldn’t want a sexy, hot tan? This sunscreen is made with our very own streaking strength formula plus one.
- Sun Stroke
What golfer wouldn’t want to sport a rich dark tan and add 57 yards to their tee shots? This sunscreen provides improved accuracy, added distance and the ultimate bronzing power…we think.
- Forbidden Fruit
Honestly, the less we say about this one the better for fear of being cast into a pit of fire.
More information about Will Ferrell Sunscreens and Cancer For College at CancerForCollege.org.