As summer’s sweltering temperatures may make you want to move to cooler shores, you can at least keep your skin glowing throughout the heat wave. Here are some top tips on how to get glowing skin all summer long.
Summer Facial Care Tips: How to Get Glowing Skin all Summer Long
It’s easy to underplay the importance of facials in the summer: why get a facial when I’ll just be slathering sunscreen on it a moment after, you might ask? The skin really takes a beating in the summer and while we protect it with sun screens and blocks, those can easily clog pores and lead to acne. To offset the effect of summertime skincare, facials reset skin by clearing out pores of buildup from sunscreen and makeup that builds up over time. Get a facial at least once during the summer season and one right before autumn begins. This will reset the skin by giving it a deep cleansing while de-stressing the skin.
Related blog post: An Anti-Aging Facial that’s also an Immunity Booster
During the summer be on guard against free radicals that damage skin and cause pre-mature aging. While protecting your skin from the sunlight is of utmost importance, consider adding free radical damage prevention to your summertime skin care routine. It’s just as important to build up skin defenses against free radicals. Stock up on antioxidants and vitamin C serum to keep the skin protected against fine lines, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation and uneven complexion. These anti-inflammatories also help ward off excess redness (inflammation).
Related blog post: Preserve your Youthful Glow with Vitamin C Power Gel
Even if you’re not acne prone, it’s best to practice keeping skin as oil-free as possible to reduce shine and to prevent against future breakouts. Wash your face as much as possible after sweating (and be sure to reapply sunscreen). Sweating releases the body’s toxins out through the pores and if sweat sits on your face for long it can become a breeding ground for bacteria leading to acne, inflammation, and clogged pores. You can also carry oil blotting sheets, or keep a towel or small rag on hand.
Related blog post: Product Highlight: SHIZUKA new york Clay Cleanser
Most people aren’t aware that going in and out of air conditioned environments and into the scorching sun can severely dehydrate the skin. Dehydrated skin can start to itch and flake leading to other concerns relating to premature aging. Stay hydrated to keep your skin fortified with moisture from the inside out. Drink plenty of water and eat fruits and vegetables and anything else with high water content, like green tea.
Related blog post: Refreshing Spa Water Recipes
Click here for our current Spa Deals >>
To make an appointment, use our Online Booking System >>
Sun Repair: Post Sun Facials + Spa Treatments
Summer is all about being outside; whether it’s building sandcastles on the beach, picnicking in the park, enjoying a backyard barbeque, or just basking on a some steps — outdoors is the place to be!
While the warm sun feels wonderful on your skin, it can really dry it out (even if you’re in the shade!), eventually leaving your skin starving for some nutrient-rich moisturizing.
In the name of summer and all things relaxing, we came up with a list of our most popular “sun repair” spa treatments that will heal and soothe sun drenched skin, providing deep hydration and relief (& will prepare you for some more fun in the sun!)
For the Face:
- The Geisha Facial – The Geisha Facial has received a lot of press due to its much lauded ingredient, Uguisu no Fun or Nightingale droppings. But many forget is that this is a full service facial including a hydrating camellia oil facial massage and antioxidant-rich Green Tea Collagen mask. The mask works to reduce signs of aging by encouraging further collagen production and saturates the skin with free radical fighting antioxidants.
- GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – This facial incorporates specially coded LED lights that promote a process called photomodulation in the skin. Much like photosynthesis in plants, the LED lights work to stimulate and promote healthy skin production.
Naturopathica’s Natural Face Lift Facial – Combined with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies, this high performance treatment uses Naturopathica brand products including Plant Stem Cell Serum (a powerful antioxidant blend) to deliver deep hydration and gently firms and tones the skin.
For the Body:
- Coffee Break Mud Wrap – This 50min heated treatment uses a natural body scrub that includes Black Silt Clay and Coffee Arabica to exfoliate and draw out impurities. It also includes Indian Sarsaparilla and Shea Butter to clarify skin and seal in moisture
For the Hands & Feet:
- Espresso Mud Pedicure -This sensually invigorating pedicure uses a mud mixture to exfoliate and deeply hydrate your feet. In addition to nail and cuticle care, and buffing/color; this treatment includes added moisturizing and light massage.
- Sakura Pedicure & Nagomi Manicure – These are our signature manicure and pedicure treatments that include the most pampering and nail care. We use the natural harnessing power of ingredients like Crystallized Honey, Rice Bran, Sake-Kasu, and a handmade and chemical free Yuzu Massage Cream to fully exfoliate and deeply hydrate the hands and feet.
Que cosa rara: Facial de excremento de pÃ¡jaros.
They spoke with Shizuka and caught some footage of the internationally-acclaimed facial in action!
Bird poop, or in this case sterilized uguisu no fun or nightingale droppings, contains natural enzymes that work to clean and exfoliate (remove dead skin cells), leaving a healthy and glowing finish.
This uniquely Japanese beauty product comes in powder form and is artfully combined with organic rice bran to magnify the product’s brightening and exfoliating properties.
Together with cleansing, extraction, nourishing facial massage, and a potent antioxidant collagen mask, this luxury facial provides for a thoroughly unique experience.
It’s a two-in-one: It will bring you good luck AND porcelain skin!
Detox is the term given to the body’s natural ability to rid itself of toxins and impurities. Everybody can benefit from a detox regimen every now and then. Some even claim detox’ing on a regular basis helps with weight loss, cellulite reduction, and an increase of energy.
Here are some DIY detox tips from our senior Licensed Massage Therapist, Gary Bergman, to help you feel your very best this summer:
Toxins like acid, waste products, enzymes, and proteins that remain in the blood can, due to gravity, settle like sediment in the feet. Many motor nerves also end in the feet, so by giving your feet some extra special attention once in a while, you’ll be able to increase mobility and blood circulation, thereby lowering blood pressure and increasing immunity–ain’t detox great?
1. Soak your feet in hot water with Epsom or any kind of bath salts. At the end of a long day after walking around in strappy sandals or shoes without much support, a 15-20 min. foot soak will really do the whole body good. The salt will help draw out uric acid build up in the muscles around the feet and ankles and will also give you a quick magnesium boost.
2. Massage the bottoms of your feet with a golf or racket ball by moving your foot in a circular motion for about two minutes at a time while standing or sitting. Be sure to move the ball along the arch and ball of the foot. This will break up any tightness and loosen tendons, as well as contribute to foot flexibility. Flexible feet will also keep joints loose decreasing the possibility of bad sprains.
3. Flush out toxins naturally by drinking plenty of water. I know we hear this all the time, but without proper hydration the body has a harder time flushing out impurities. Some people love fizzy or sparkling water but it isn’t as hydrating as good ole H2O. If you drink sparkling this summer, I suggest adding a little juice or fresh fruit to it to increase its hydrating capacity.
Just remember: when in doubt, flush it out!
As your wedding day draws nearer, the last thing you want to be stressing over is your skin. It’s always a good idea to get a head start on a season-specific regimen (in this case: summer!) that will leave your skin smooth and glowing on your big day.
Shizuka’s Suggestions to Summer Bridal Beauty
For summer brides, the best skin care regimen includes a deep cleansing facial cleanser, toner, and a an oil-free moisturizer. While the deep cleanser helps keep your pores flushed, the toner will replace the healthy fatty acids and antioxidants that may have been stripped from the cleansing. An oil-free moisturizer will seal in hydration without clogging pores which is especially important during the summer.
Wedding planning brings about a lot of stress, and stress, unfortunately, also leads to premature aging. To keep fine lines at bay, be sure to use an antioxidant rich serum to help boost collagen production. In addition, serums also work to help plump and hydrate dry skin.
As you get closer to the big day, be sure to exfoliate regularly. Exfoliation will slough away the dead skin cells and any bacteria that lead to acne break outs. It also helps to smooth and even your complexion. Always follow exfoliation with a deeply hydrating serum, cream, or mask.
All those nerves may make it difficult to get a good amount of “beauty rest” right before the wedding day, so I recommend applying a cold compress to the eyes to help reduce puffiness in the morning. Use chilled green tea bags for a quick and easy way to sooth puffy eyes in a flash.
Have more bridal beauty questions for Shizuka? Feel free to leave a comment or send an email to: [email protected]
Lavender and skin care go hand in hand. Its soothing aroma is useful for treating anxiety and insomnia while its antiseptic property acts as an all natural antibacterial component to purify the skin. Infuse lavender skin care into your summertime beauty routine!
During these hot summer days, we invite you to give extra attention to keeping your skin free of bacteria that can lead to acne. Relax with these soothing lavender skincare facial cleansers:
Aloe Cleansing Gel – A foaming sulfate-free cleanser with a refreshing blend of Aloe Vera and Lavender that gently clarifies the skin while maintaining natural moisture.
Lavender oil, known for its antioxidant and antibacterial properties, can be found in our Shizuka New York Skincare System as well:
Shizuka NY Moisturizer – This moisturizer is a non-greasy and absorbs immediately to hydrate, condition and rejuvenate, and works to clarify and brighten the complexion.
Shizuka NY Foaming Cleanser -This Foaming Cleanser is used in most facial treatments in our NYC day spa and contains a slew of other nourishing ingredients leaving the skin renewed, softer and more supple.
5 Summer Waxing Tips from Shizuka NY
Summer’s finally here! We put together a few tips to help you optimize this season’s wax routine:
1. Wax first, tan second. Wax before getting a tan — wait at least 24 hours before spray tanning or bronzing. Since waxing also exfoliates the skin, it will strip away any color application. Waxing also tends to irritate the skin so if you have sensitive skin, it’s best to wait 3-4 days (or until your skin recovers completely) before tanning.
2. Down time. Waxed skin is highly irritable, especially to sweat, sun exposure and hot water. Wait at least a couple hours before working out or taking a hot shower. If you’re in the sun be sure to take precautions by covering up and using plenty of SPF.
3. Wait. For a wax to be successful, hair needs to be at least ¼ of an inch long. Try waiting 2 – 4 weeks before getting waxed to allow for sufficient hair length.
4. Exfoliate at home. In order to prevent ingrown hairs, wait three days then begin exfoliating the area daily. This will help the hair grow back evenly for your next waxing.
5. No more razors. Shaving can actually irritate hair follicles negating the benefits of waxing. If you stick to a waxing-only regimen, you’ll notice over time that the hair will grow back thinner and finer. In most cases, a waxing will last between 4 to 6 weeks.
If you’ve never waxed before or are concerned about how your skin may react, feel free to call us at (212) 644-7400 to schedule a consultation with Shizuka.
Lucky Magazine asks: What Color is Your Pedicure?
It all depends on your sandals which, this summer, should be a decidedly brilliant shade of something.
Yellow looks so pop against the hot pink shoes.
This muted coral tones down the dramaâ€”but still looks exotic.
Deep blue-green, and drop-dead sexy.
So feminine! The soft rose sets off the shoes’ bold fuchsia.
Upgrade from a Basic to a Bamboo Scrub Pedicure for added exfoliation and light massage >>
Has the long winter left your feet tired and achey? Try a little reflexology foot massage to revitalize your tootsies before sandal season hits!
Reflexology is a practice that targets certain areas of the feet and hands with specialized pressure to increase circulation, relieve tension and improve organ function.
A good foot massage will help stimulate the thousands of nerve endings in your feet keeping your feet (and body) happy and healthy!
Sweeten any spa pedicure by adding 10 extra minutes reflexology for only $20! >>