IPL Laser Hair Removal Instructions
BEFORE IPL HAIR REMOVAL | AFTER IPL HAIR REMOVAL
Please read our pre and post-treatment instructions carefully before your IPL laser hair removal treatment from our New York medical spa. Following these instructions will make your IPL laser treatments more safe and effective.
Before IPL Laser Hair Removal
- Discontinue sun tanning, including the use of tanning beds and self-tanning creams 4 weeks before, and throughout the IPL laser hair removal treatment course from our New York medical spa.
- Always use an SPF 30, or greater, sunscreen on any IPL laser treatment area that will be exposed to the sun, and reapply every 2 hours throughout the day. Wear protective, light-occluding hats and clothing.
- Discontinue the use of exfoliating creams that include Retin-A and other Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) ingredients on the areas to be treated with IPL laser hair removal.
- Refrain from tweezing, waxing, sugaring, electrolysis or other epilation methods for at least 4 weeks prior to IPL laser hair removal and for the duration of treatments. It is best to shave or trim excess hair during the course of IPL hair removal treatment.
- If you have a history of herpes outbreaks in the area of treatment, you should consult your Primary Care Provider for medical evaluation and possible prophylaxis prior to IPL laser hair removal from Shizuka New York Medical Spa.
- The areas treated with IPL laser hair removal should be shaved or closely-clipped before the first treatment, and before any subsequent hair removal treatments from our New York medical spa.
- Numbing cream may be applied to the IPl laser hair removal areas 30 minutes before treatment to improve comfort. Numbing cream can be purchased through our New York medical spa, and at many drugstore locations in New York.
After IPL Laser Hair Removal
- A mild sunburn-like sensation is normal after IPL laser hair removal. This usually lasts 2-24 hours but can persist up to 72 hours. Apply cold gel packs or cool wet cloths to the areas treated with IPL laser for 15 minutes every 2-4 hours until symptoms subside.
- Bathe or shower as usual. If the areas treated with IPL laser hair removal are sensitive to heat, cool showers and baths will offer relief.
- Avoid aggressive scrubbing, use of exfoliants, scrub brushes and loofa sponges until the IPL laser hair removal treatment area has returned to its pre-treatment condition.
- Avoid, swimming, hot tubs/Jacuzzis, and excessive exercise for 7 days after IPL laser hair removal or until redness resolves.
- As IPL laser hair removal makes the skin photosensitive, you should avoid sun exposure to treated areas, as well as the use of sun tanning beds and self-tanning creams.
- Use a SPF-30 sunscreen on the treated areas, and reapply regularly, if sun exposure is unavoidable. Sun avoidance will decrease the likelihood of skin color changes and hyperpigmentation.
- Appearance of hair growth or stubble will continue for 7- 30 days after IPL laser hair removal from our New York medical spa. This is not necessarily new hair growth, but the treated hairs being expunged/purged from the skin.
- If blisters occur after IPL laser hair removal, apply antibiotic ointment to the areas 2 times a day until healed.
- Do not pick or remove scabs or crusting; this will help decrease the chance of infection and scarring.
- A non-steroidal anti-inflammatory such as acetaminophen will help reduce discomfort. Take according to manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Hairs that were in the resting phase at the time of IPL laser hair removal may enter the active growth phase in 1 to 6 months depending on the body area. Follow-up IPL hair removal treatment may be performed within 1-2 weeks of new hair growth.
- Do not tweeze, wax, or use any other form of hair removal other than shavingbetween IPL laser hair removal treatments.
If you have any questions or concerns about your IPL laser hair removal treatment from Shizuka New York medical spa, please do not hesitate to call us at (212) 644-7400 or email email@example.com/development.
IPL Laser Hair Removal Appointments
To schedule an appointment for IPL laser hair removal from our New York medical spa, please request an appointment online or call (212) 644-7400.