Candles: Romantic or Toxic?
A recent study suggests that burning paraffin wax candles (the most commonly found type) may actually have negative health implications.
In addition to their heat, light and fragrance, paraffin wax candles also release harmful carcinogens and air pollutants, the study indicates.
According to researcher Amid Hamidi , Ph.D., “An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you, but lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an un-ventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems.” Hamidi also suggested that certain people believed to suffer from indoor allergy or respiratory problems may in fact be victims of candle air pollution.
Candle lovers should not give up all hope because soy and beeswax candles are said to be safer, although sometimes more expensive.
The moral of the story? Always read the label, and ventilate any rooms where candles are burning.
Source: Science Daily
Leave a Comment
- Shizuka NY Day Spa featured on TruTV’s show: Top 20 Funniest TV Blunders3!
- E! News Reveals The Geisha Facial as a Red Carpet Celebrity Beauty Secret
- Avianca em Revista names Shizuka NY a 2015 New York City Hot Spot
- NYC’s Far Infrared Sauna Service featured in Giada Weekly
- Latest Shizuka’s Geisha (Bird Poop) Facials Mentions from Around the Web