11 Ways to Look Fabulous for Memorial Day & Beyond!
Memorial Day is just a few weeks away, bringing with it the warm summer months to follow. Here are some tips to looking and feeling your best throughout the summer months!
1. Screen your skin!: In order to protect against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays, generously coat all exposed skin with sunscreen, preferably broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher. Also, just applying once isn’t enough–remember to reapply every two hours, especially after swimming or extensive sweating.
Related blog post>> Top Summer Skin Mistake
2. Post lunch: Most people forget that the skin on your lips is also susceptible to sun damage, so be sure to wear lip balm with SPF. Don’t forget to reapply especially after eating or drinking.
3. Made in shades: Wear sunglasses with lenses that provide UV protection. Too much sun over time can actually damage your eyes, not to mention the fine lines that can accrue from too much squinting.
4. Exfoliate & moisturize!: Show off soft smooth skin by making it a habit to exfoliate regularly and moisturize daily. When you exfoliate, dead skin cells are sloughed off revealing smoother skin. Moisturizing everyday will not only keep your skin hydrated, but will help your skin retain water and look smoother. SNY Moisturizer goes on light and silky and provides the benefits of immediate hydration.
5. Wax not wane: Consider waxing to get rid of unwanted body hair during the summer months. In most cases, a waxing will last for 4-6 weeks. IPL (or Intense Pulsed Light) is considered a more permanent hair removal solution, however, IPL treatments make the skin more sensitive to sunlight. Because of this, the procedure is best left for the cooler winter months when skin is less likely to be exposed to direct sunlight. If you do receive IPL during the summer, take care to wear protective clothing and reapply SPF 30 or higher regularly to the treated areas.
Related blog post>> 5 Summer Waxing Tips from Shizuka NY
6. Footsie play: Get a spa pedicure with exfoliation to get your feet sandal ready! Have fun and choose colors that compliment your sandals or add-on a bit of reflexology to soothe and recharge tired feet.
Related blog posts>> Reflexology for Happy Feet & What Color is Your Pedicure?
7. Aloe me: Keep some aloe vera or aloe-based ointment or moisturizer on hand in case of accidental sunburn to skin. Aloe will help relieve the pain and can help the skin heal faster. Continue to apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to the affected area(s).
8. Daily cleanse: Be sure to cleanse skin properly each day to keep pores free from sweat and sunscreen build-up. Sweating actually purifies your skin by releasing bacteria and other toxins through your pores. However, when you let the sweat dry on your skin, the sitting bacteria can lead to breakouts and major acne. SNY Clay Cleanser is great for summertime cleansing and the cooling effect of peppermint will leave your skin cool and refreshed.
Related blog post>> Product Highlight: Shizuka NY Clay Cleanser
9. G’day: As the sun beats down on you, especially during the scorching afternoon hours, be sure to wear a hat or scarf to protect your scalp from burning. Scarves in light colored fabrics such as white, khaki, or pastels will help keep you cool by reflecting heat instead of absorbing it like dark colors. Brimmed hats made of natural fibers such as straw, linen or cotton will help your scalp breathe and will help protect your face as well. If hats and scarves aren’t your thing, consider using an umbrella instead. It will keep you cool and help protect your skin, scalp AND hair from ultimate summertime burnout!
10. Bugs beware: To avoid unsightly bug bites and itchy rashes from mosquitoes, ticks, and gnats, consider trying natural alternatives to chemical-based repellents. Apply any combination of essential oils like cedar oil, citronella oil, clove oil, geranium oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, and even the juice from garlic cloves will help keep mosquitoes and other bugs (and maybe even other humans too) at bay.
11. HydrateHydrateHydrate: Drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic beverages will help keep your skin and hair hydrated and healthy. Alcohol tends to dehydrate the skin and hair, so be sure to replenish your system with plenty of water and electrolytes after every mojito and margarita!