Now is the perfect time to start thinking about your Valentine’s Day nails! Are you looking for something simple and feminine like a solid pale pink or rose color? Do you crave hearts or L-O-V-E lettering?
Whatever you fancy, we’ve got loads of Valentine’s Day inspired nail art on our Pinterest Nail Spa Board.
Check it out and if you find something you like, let our skilled nail technicians recreate it just for you!
For split or cracked nails, cut tiny strips from a tea bag. This will act as a band aid while your nail grows out. Cover the nail with a clear polish or top coat, place the strip on the crack and cover with another layer of polish. This will seal the crack, allowing you to add a layer or two of your favorite polish over it.
Nails, hair, and skin are primarily made up of the protein keratin. When a diet lack lacks protein and proper vitamins weak or brittle nails can develop. To strengthen nails take B vitamin supplements daily and be sure to include healthy sources of protein into your diet. Expect to see results in three to six months (the time it takes for a new nail to grow).
To prevent already weakened nails from incurring additional damage, opt for an LED Gel manicure or pedicure instead of regular polish. LED gel firmly adheres to the nail’s surface, shielding it from incurring further damage from the environment.
Further prevent your manicure from prematurely chipping by wearing gloves when washing dishes and gardening. Also, moisturize hands and feet daily to keep skin and cuticles supple and soft.
Every now and then a quick cat nap can do wonders to boost energy and reset the body and mind. Along the same lines, a quick spa treatment can be just what you need to rest and recharge amidst a hectic schedule.
Check out these popular Express Spa treatments below:
A single color manicure or pedicure includes cuticle care, foot exfoliation, buffing/color, and moisturizing. The sugar scrub and & bamboo scrub treatments include additional hand and foot exfoliation and light massage.
Basic Manicure – 20 min.
Basic Pedicure – 35 min.
Sugar Scrub Manicure – 30 min.
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure – 45 min.
Massages are typically enjoyed at 50 or 80 minute increments but we also offer shorter versions for 25 and 35 minutes–perfect for anyone new to massage therapy.
Swedish – 25 min. & 35 min.
Shiatsu – 25 min. & 35 min.
Reflexology (Foot massage) – 25 min. & 35 min.
Deep Tissue – 35 min.
Omedeta (Maternity) – 25 min.
This full body exfoliation treatment sloughs off dead skin cells leaving your skin soft and supple.
Body Scrub – 20 min.
Our most basic NYC spa facial incorporates Shizuka New York Day Spa’s all-natural skin care products and includes cleansing, exfoliation, and extraction.
Express Facial – 30 min.
These facials incorporate GentleWaves®, a facial rejuvenation treatment that uses LED lights to shrink pores, fine lines and wrinkles, and stimulate collagen production.
GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – 30 min.
Collagen Boost Facial – 40 min.
Summer nails are all about using feminine colors in a bold way
Every tried Gel Nails?
Check out these +HOT+ Gel Manicures w/ Design by Sarah:
Sun Repair: Post Sun Facials + Spa Treatments
Summer is all about being outside; whether it’s building sandcastles on the beach, picnicking in the park, enjoying a backyard barbeque, or just basking on a some steps — outdoors is the place to be!
While the warm sun feels wonderful on your skin, it can really dry it out (even if you’re in the shade!), eventually leaving your skin starving for some nutrient-rich moisturizing.
In the name of summer and all things relaxing, we came up with a list of our most popular “sun repair” spa treatments that will heal and soothe sun drenched skin, providing deep hydration and relief (& will prepare you for some more fun in the sun!)
For the Face:
- The Geisha Facial – The Geisha Facial has received a lot of press due to its much lauded ingredient, Uguisu no Fun or Nightingale droppings. But many forget is that this is a full service facial including a hydrating camellia oil facial massage and antioxidant-rich Green Tea Collagen mask. The mask works to reduce signs of aging by encouraging further collagen production and saturates the skin with free radical fighting antioxidants.
- GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – This facial incorporates specially coded LED lights that promote a process called photomodulation in the skin. Much like photosynthesis in plants, the LED lights work to stimulate and promote healthy skin production.
- Naturopathica’s Natural Face Lift Facial – Combined with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies, this high performance treatment uses Naturopathica brand products including Plant Stem Cell Serum (a powerful antioxidant blend) to deliver deep hydration and gently firms and tones the skin.
For the Body:
- Coffee Break Mud Wrap – This 50min heated treatment uses a natural body scrub that includes Black Silt Clay and Coffee Arabica to exfoliate and draw out impurities. It also includes Indian Sarsaparilla and Shea Butter to clarify skin and seal in moisture
For the Hands & Feet:
- Espresso Mud Pedicure -This sensually invigorating pedicure uses a mud mixture to exfoliate and deeply hydrate your feet. In addition to nail and cuticle care, and buffing/color; this treatment includes added moisturizing and light massage.
- Sakura Pedicure & Nagomi Manicure – These are our signature manicure and pedicure treatments that include the most pampering and nail care. We use the natural harnessing power of ingredients like Crystallized Honey, Rice Bran, Sake-Kasu, and a handmade and chemical free Yuzu Massage Cream to fully exfoliate and deeply hydrate the hands and feet.
We have a wide variety of treatments and gifts sure to please every type of mom this Mother’s Day. Check out the following Mother’s Day Spa Guide to find out which treatments and gifts are the best fit for your Mom!
The executive mom is usually always busy with work. When she’s not cooking dinner or going to soccer practice, she’s glued to her Smartphone to keep in touch with the office. She’s perpetually busy but loves it when she’s finally able to RELAX, even if it’s just for a couple hours.
Treatment suggestions: Coffee break Mud Wrap, 80min Shiatsu/ Swedish Massage
Our Coffee Break Mud Wrap combines soothing heat therapy with refreshing exfoliation and detoxification. Our “Mud” mixture will reinvigorate the senses with sweet earthy aromas of Arabica Coffee, honey, and bergamot, among others. Combine this with an 80min Shiatsu or Swedish massage and Mom will leave feeling rejuvenated and ready to go!
Gift suggestion: Espresso Mud Body Scrub, Sicilian Bergamot Body Lotion, Plant Stem Cell Serum
On The Go Mom:
On The Go Mom is usually busy as a bee, with a daily mile long to-do list. She loves getting things done, and try as she might, finding time for herself just isn’t a top priority most of the time.
Treatment suggestions: The Geisha Facial® , GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation, Collagen Mask add on
Since On The Go Mom is likely hopping cabs, catching trains and walking, er running, through the busy city streets, her skin is also susceptible to innumerable free radicals (airborne impurities) in the air. Over time this can age the skin, so we suggest treatments such as The Geisha Facial ®, Gentle Waves treatment, or even adding on a collagen mask to any of our facials to stimulate collagen production, encourage cellular renewal and shrink pores.
Gift suggestion: VITAMIN C REVITALIZING COMPLEX
Lady of the Manor Mom:
Lady of the Manor Mom usually, quite literally, has her hands full engineering ways to keep the home and family in tip top shape. She’s always coming up with new and better ways to improve productivity and time management. She’s super practical and doesn’t usually have time for some much needed pampering and relaxation.
Treatment suggestions: Signature Micro Facial, EYELASH PERM, Sugar Scrub Manicure + Bamboo Scrub Pedicure
Our Signature Micro Facial is our most popular facial with the most pampering. This facial combines deep cleansing with face, scalp, hand and shoulder massage, as well as reflexology treatment (foot massage). Combine this facial with an Eyelash Perm and nails, and Mom will feel like a Queen!
Gift suggestions: SHIZUKA NY MOISTURIZER, Lavender Honey Balancing Mist, ON THE CUFF
The health-conscious Mom loves to feed herself with all-natural foods and products like fresh juices, whole-grain breads, organic vegetables, and prefers using paraben-free facial washes and soaps. She wants to stay as healthy as possible, especially in a big (dirty) city like NYC.
Treatment suggestions: The Natural Face Lift Facial, Nagomi Manicure + Sakura Pedicure, Far Infrared Sauna
The Nagomi Manicure and Sakura Pedicure are SNY’s signature nail treatments using only natural ingredients free of harsh chemicals and additives that are mixed right in front of you. Ingredients include fresh lemon, olive oil, soy, rice, and sake to exfoliate, hydrate and protect the skin and nails. Combine this with the Far Infrared Sauna and The Natural Face Lift Facial which uses Naturopathica’s high-performance, all natural and paraben-free products. These treatments will leave Mom feeling well-balanced and glowing!
Gift suggestion: SICILIAN BERGAMOT BODY LOTION
Loves to Spa Mom:
The Loves to Spa Mom, well, she loves to spa! She finds comfort and peace in all things pampering.
Treatment suggestion: DAY OF BEAUTY
Check out our current spa deals for BIG SAVINGS on our signature spa treatments and services!
Nail art is a fun and relatively inexpensive way to be expressive and even a little festive too!
Having trouble deciding what your next nail art should be? Here are some helpful tips to get your creativity flowing:
- Look at images on nail art websites or just Google “nail art images”. Sometimes you don’t know what you want until you see something that inspires you!
- It’s best to come into a salon with a picture already printed out or email the salon beforehand. There’s a possibility the salon won’t be equipped to execute the design and plus, there’s nothing more disappointing than trekking somewhere for nothing!
- Although DIY nail art kits are super fun, letting a professional do it for you ensures you’ll have a pristine manicure without any stress or time wasted. Professional manicurists have a good idea what will work for the shape and size of your nails and can recommend ideas you may not have thought of.
- If you’re really into a type of pattern, fabric, or design, bring in a swatch or a picture and watch your manicurist do wonders to bring that design to life on your nails!
- If nail art isn’t your thing, but you still want to try something new, try picking out 2 or 3 or your favorite colors. Adding a small colorful embellishment (like a color blocking design, images like a heart or flower, or even crystals) to a nail or two can really elevate your manicure to the next level!
Here at SNY, we have talented nail artists on staff every day! Contact us beforehand with your idea and we’ll make sure to pair you with the best manicurist for your needs!
Skin conditioning during the cold winter months can be an ongoing task, so we like to encourage our clients to try different treatments to find out which works best.
A Paraffin Wax treatment for your hands and feet is an inexpensive, speedy, yet luxurious way to warm and hydrate your skin while relaxing stiff muscles and joints. The wax contains paraffin oil making it softer than, for example, wax used for hair removal. Because it’s softer, the wax melts at lower temperatures, so it won’t burn or blister your skin. Add a Paraffin Wax treatment to your favorite manicure or pedicure or get it on its own for a quick and soothing treatment for your hard-working extremities!
Here’s what our Paraffin Wax treatment entails:
- First our estheticians lightly massage your hands or feet using SpaRitual Organic Moisturizing lotion, with Geranium essential oil.
- Then you will submerge your hands or feet into melted paraffin wax until your skin is generously coated (for feet, the process is slightly different to ensure that hands and feet aren’t dipped into the same wax).
- Your hands or feet are then covered with plastic and then slid into terry cloth mitts to keep the wax warm.
- After about 5 minutes, the process is complete and the wax is removed all at once.
Your skin will feel deeply moisturized and softened without being oily or greasy.
Paraffin Wax treatment by itself:
The nail salon at Shizuka New York Day Spa was featured as one of NYC’s top ten nail art salons in Time Out New York. TONY featured our glitter gradation gel manicure as one of it’s most trendy styles:
Shizuka New York Day Spa
On the sixth floor of what looks like an ordinary midtown office building lies Shizuka, a serene space where manicurist Satomi Teraoka creates Japanese nail art as understated or outrageous as you desire. After being greeted with a cup of green tea, manicure devotees are presented with a case of faux nails showcasing the sun-filled salon’s most popular designs, including Teraoka’s signature “glitter waterfall” ($85). To create this effect, clear, light pink and glittery Presto gels are layered on the nails and dried under a LED light for 20 seconds after each application. Teraoka completes the mani with a few crystals and a glossy top coat. While gel manicuresâ€”which last about two weeks and cost $20 to get removedâ€”are the salon’s speciality, they don’t skimp on other forms of nail art. Flowers, leopard spots and original designs can be brushed on with regular polish ($5-$10 per nail), and if you have a thing for bling, the ladies at Shizuka will completely cover your nails with crystals to create their Disco-ball manicure ($150). 7 W 51st St between Fifth and Sixth Aves, sixth floor (212-644-7400, shizukany.com)â€”Leah Faye Cooper
Photograph: Caroline Voagen Nelson
This March, we at Shizuka New York Day Spa are pleased to offer one of our most popular spa packages at an even better deal than normal.
The Total Body Spa Package, valued at $285, is available for $250 March 1-31, 2011.
Use our convenient online appointment request form (use the Promo Code “Spring Forward”) and you will soon be on your way to 4 hours of relaxation and rejuvenation!
If you’re still recovering from the holiday season, take advantage of these awesome spa deals to ring in the new year. Shizuka New York Day Spa is offering 11 spa deals on our most popular facials, massage, body, eyelash and nail treatments through January 31, 2011.
Save on festive holiday nail art with any Gel Manicure through December 31, 2010. Our nail artists recommend one design on the ring finger for a subtle display of holiday cheer.
Pictured at left: Christmas Tree with Crystal “Star” – $7/nail (reg. $10)
Pictured at right: Holiday Snowflake with Crystal Center – $5/nail (reg. $7)
Also, save on soothing and hydrating Paraffin Hand Treatments ($10, reg. $15) with any Shizuka NY manicure through December 31st.
To get these great looks, you can request an appointment online or call (212) 644-7400 for spa reservations.
Anyone who has sat patiently through a professional manicure only to have it chip or peel a day or two later can appreciate the popularity of the gel system, which lasts weeks. This is especially important during the summer months, when chlorine and humidity are punishing to traditional polish. Until now, the standard gel manicure was set with UV light, which not only made the process take at least an hour, but exposed the hands to damaging rays. Shizuka New York has introduced an updated gel manicure system that uses LEDs instead of UVs. Not only is it healthier, it takes about half the time to set and the results are just as pretty. Best of all? Shizuka offers a no-chip guarantee: If your gel nails chip or lift within ten days of treatment, they’ll reset them for free.
We are currently offering a introductory offer of $40 for the LED Gel Manicure NYC (one color) that lasts through Labor Day, September 6, 2010. This is 20% off the list price of the manicure!
FYI, the LED gel manicure pictured above also uses gradation (color blending, +$20) and sparkly glitter gel (+7). However, a single color is equally stylish and the results speak for themselves!
With Shizuka New York Nail Salon’s 10-Day No Chip Guarantee, we will also fix LED gel manicures that have chipped or lifted within 10 days of the initial treatment.
Read more about our LED Gel Nails.
[NYMag.com – The Cut]
Photo by Melissa Hom
You may remember from our recent post, Style Watch: Nail Bling, that Katy Perry rocked a ‘disco ball’ manicure at this year’s VMAs. Other fans of this celebrity manicure include Serena Williams, Pink and Beyonce.
Time Out New York featured this trendy nail look at Shizuka New York Day Spa as a great way to bling out your New Year’s Eve look. What goes into a disco-ball manicure? Hundreds of shimmering Swarovski Crystals that will make your nails shine like the Swarovski star atop the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree a few steps away from our NYC day spa. The price of a disco ball manicure is $180, although you can get it for $150 through December 31, 2009 when you mention Time Out.
To make an appointment for a disco ball manicure, contact us online or call (212) 644-7400. BTW, Shizuka New York Day Spa is open until 6pm on New Year’s Eve, and while you’re at it, try our brand new Collagen Boost Facial, the ultimate pre-party facial on special through December 31.
Is Katy Perry’s look a little too extreme for your style? Try our Crystal Manicure ($65), a more subtle and affordable version of the celebrity manicure.