Men Outpace Women As The Fastest Growing Skin Care Demographic Worldwide
HONG KONG/FRANCE, Paris—Men are now the fastest growing skin care demographic market worldwide according to data compiled by Euromonitor.
The growing male market, however, is highly localized to the Asia-Pacific region. This region accounted for US$2.1 billion last year. This is well over half of the $3.3 billion spent globally by men in 2013 with most of the growth coming from South Korea.
Of the worldwide total spent on skin care, US $110.3 billion, women still dominate in raw dollars spent, almost $107 billion. But this difference, $3.3 billion, is not small change to companies like Estee Lauder who are stepping up their development and marketing of male-targeted products.
Why a specialty men’s skin care product line? It isn’t that men don’t want to stand in a line at a frilly cosmetics department store decorated with fuchsia feather boas fans — they definitely don’t want to do that; it’s that a man’s skin care needs are different from a woman’s.
For one, men have firmer, 25% thicker, skin then women. This is due to having more naturally occurring collagen and elastin in their dermal layer. A man’s skin also ages differently than a woman’s: when a man starts to age, the first signs appear around the eyes with dark circles, bags and wrinkles. Finally men have larger pores and more oily skin than women due to high androgen hormone levels.
All these differences mandate a separate line of skin care products for men.
What Is The Best Skin Care Regime For Men?
- For cleaning, rubbing a bar of soap on one’s face, while easy and convenient, isn’t going to cut it. Because a man has larger pores and more oil, he needs something that will exfloliate, hydrate, and clean his larger pores. And most men will find it easier to shave because exfoliation helps reduce ingrown facial hairs.
- For moisturizing, pick an oil based moisturizer if you have dry skin or a water-based moisturizer if you have oily skin. Keeping skin hydrated is an important step toward keeping it healthy. Facial moisturizers can enhance the functioning of the stratum corneum, the uppermost layer of skin.
- To get rid of wrinkles, use a retinol cream, ideally one with a moisturizer.
- The sun is your enemy. To protect your skin, use a good sunscreen every day, year round. If you work inside, look for a sunscreen in the 15 – 30 SPF range that blocks both UVA and UVB rays; Go for a higher SPF if you work outdoors.
- Consider a regular regime of facials tailored for guys. If you have normal skin, consider one of these: the Classic Men’s Facial, Signature Micro Facial, or the Express Facial; if you have dry skin, try one of these: the Classic Men’s Facial + Collagen Mask or the Collagen Boost Facial; or if you have oily/combination skin, go for a Classic Men’s Facial or General Skin Care + Anti-Aging; or you can fine tune your facial with our men’s facial finder.
- If you want to step out from the pack and engage in some top notch care for your skin, do what the big boys do, like Tom Cruise, and try our renowned Geisha Facial.
Book an appointment ONLINE using our Secure Online Booking System