Besides opening up the look of your eye, lashes actually serve a function to protect the eyes, keeping them free from foreign agents and debris. Regular lash care keeps them healthy and strong.
Here are 7 easy tips to keep in mind for naturally stronger fuller lashes:
- Rub eyes delicately if you really have to. Lash roots are extremely delicate so any scratching or rubbing can actually weaken lashes causing them to break.
- Stay away from lash roots when using an eyelash curler. You know you’ve gone too far when you pinch or tug the eyelid.
- Remove all mascara gently with make-up remover before going to sleep.
- Comb through lashes to remove clumps of mascara as soon as it’s applied—don’t tug lashes. If the mascara has already dried a bit, apply a bit of make-up remover to the comb until the clumps are removed and lashes separate.
- Throw away old mascara. It’s ideal to renew your mascara every 6 months. The likelihood for germs and bacteria increases the longer you keep it.
- Replace any eye makeup used during an eye infection, including pink eye.
- Condition lashes regularly. Just like your hair, lashes need to be conditioned as well. You can purchase eyelash conditioners over–the-counter that will help fortify and moisturize your lashes. Conditioners are especially recommended between any chemical treatments like eyelash perms.
- Other alternatives for longer lashes include: eyelash extensions, Revitalash, or the prescription drug Latisse.
Check out our current Eyelash Perm Spa Deal>>
Memorial Day is just a few weeks away, bringing with it the warm summer months to follow. Here are some tips to looking and feeling your best throughout summer 2013!
1. Screen your skin!: In order to protect against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays, generously coat all exposed skin with sunscreen, preferably broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher. Also, just applying once isn’t enough–remember to reapply every two hours, especially after swimming or extensive sweating.
Related blog post>> Top Summer Skin Mistake
2. Post lunch: Most people forget that the skin on your lips is also susceptible to sun damage, so be sure to wear lip balm with SPF. Don’t forget to reapply especially after eating or drinking.
3. Made in shades: Wear sunglasses with lenses that provide UV protection. Too much sun over time can actually damage your eyes, not to mention the fine lines that can accrue from too much squinting.
4. Exfoliate & moisturize!: Show off soft smooth skin by making it a habit to exfoliate regularly and moisturize daily. When you exfoliate, dead skin cells are sloughed off revealing smoother skin. Moisturizing everyday will not only keep your skin hydrated, but will help your skin retain water and look smoother. SNY Moisturizer goes on light and silky and provides the benefits of immediate hydration.
5. Wax not wane: Consider waxing to get rid of unwanted body hair during the summer months. In most cases, a waxing will last for 4-6 weeks. IPL (or Intense Pulsed Light) is considered a more permanent hair removal solution, however, IPL treatments make the skin more sensitive to sunlight. Because of this, the procedure is best left for the cooler winter months when skin is less likely to be exposed to direct sunlight. If you do receive IPL during the summer, take care to wear protective clothing and reapply SPF 30 or higher regularly to the treated areas.
Related blog post>> 5 Summer Waxing Tips from Shizuka NY
6. Footsie play: Get a spa pedicure with exfoliation to get your feet sandal ready! Have fun and choose colors that compliment your sandals or add-on a bit of reflexology to soothe and recharge tired feet.
7. Aloe me: Keep some aloe vera or aloe-based ointment or moisturizer on hand in case of accidental sunburn to skin. Aloe will help relieve the pain and can help the skin heal faster. Continue to apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to the affected area(s).
8. Daily cleanse: Be sure to cleanse skin properly each day to keep pores free from sweat and sunscreen build-up. Sweating actually purifies your skin by releasing bacteria and other toxins through your pores. However, when you let the sweat dry on your skin, the sitting bacteria can lead to breakouts and major acne. SNY Clay Cleanser is great for summertime cleansing and the cooling effect of peppermint will leave your skin cool and refreshed.
Related blog post>> Product Highlight: Shizuka NY Clay Cleanser
9. G’day: As the sun beats down on you, especially during the scorching afternoon hours, be sure to wear a hat or scarf to protect your scalp from burning. Scarves in light colored fabrics such as white, khaki, or pastels will help keep you cool by reflecting heat instead of absorbing it like dark colors. Brimmed hats made of natural fibers such as straw, linen or cotton will help your scalp breathe and will help protect your face as well. If hats and scarves aren’t your thing, consider using an umbrella instead. It will keep you cool and help protect your skin, scalp AND hair from ultimate summertime burnout!
10. Bugs beware: To avoid unsightly bug bites and itchy rashes from mosquitoes, ticks, and gnats, consider trying natural alternatives to chemical-based repellents. Apply any combination of essential oils like cedar oil, citronella oil, clove oil, geranium oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, and even the juice from garlic cloves will help keep mosquitoes and other bugs (and maybe even other humans too) at bay.
11. HydrateHydrateHydrate: Drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic beverages will help keep your skin and hair hydrated and healthy. Alcohol tends to dehydrate the skin and hair, so be sure to replenish your system with plenty of water and electrolytes after every mojito and margarita!
We have a wide variety of treatments and gifts sure to please every type of mom this Mother’s Day. Check out the following Mother’s Day Spa Guide to find out which treatments and gifts are the best fit for your Mom!
The executive mom is usually always busy with work. When she’s not cooking dinner or going to soccer practice, she’s glued to her Smartphone to keep in touch with the office. She’s perpetually busy but loves it when she’s finally able to RELAX, even if it’s just for a couple hours.
Treatment suggestions: Coffee break Mud Wrap, 80min Shiatsu/ Swedish Massage
Our Coffee Break Mud Wrap combines soothing heat therapy with refreshing exfoliation and detoxification. Our “Mud” mixture will reinvigorate the senses with sweet earthy aromas of Arabica Coffee, honey, and bergamot, among others. Combine this with an 80min Shiatsu or Swedish massage and Mom will leave feeling rejuvenated and ready to go!
Gift suggestion: Espresso Mud Body Scrub, LEMONGRASS MIMOSA BODY SCRUB, Plant Stem Cell Serum
On The Go Mom:
On The Go Mom is usually busy as a bee, with a daily mile long to-do list. She loves getting things done, and try as she might, finding time for herself just isn’t a top priority most of the time.
Treatment suggestions: The Geisha Facial® , GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation, Collagen Mask add on
Since On The Go Mom is likely hopping cabs, catching trains and walking, er running, through the busy city streets, her skin is also susceptible to innumerable free radicals (airborne impurities) in the air. Over time this can age the skin, so we suggest treatments such as The Geisha Facial ®, Gentle Waves treatment, or even adding on a collagen mask to any of our facials to stimulate collagen production, encourage cellular renewal and shrink pores.
Gift suggestion: VITAMIN C REVITALIZING COMPLEX
Lady of the Manor Mom:
Lady of the Manor Mom usually, quite literally, has her hands full engineering ways to keep the home and family in tip top shape. She’s always coming up with new and better ways to improve productivity and time management. She’s super practical and doesn’t usually have time for some much needed pampering and relaxation.
Treatment suggestions: Signature Micro Facial, EYELASH PERM, Sugar Scrub Manicure + Bamboo Scrub Pedicure
Our Signature Micro Facial is our most popular facial with the most pampering. This facial combines deep cleansing with face, scalp, hand and shoulder massage, as well as reflexology treatment (foot massage). Combine this facial with an Eyelash Perm and nails, and Mom will feel like a Queen!
Gift suggestions: SHIZUKA NY MOISTURIZER, Lavender Honey Balancing Mist, ON THE CUFF
The health-conscious Mom loves to feed herself with all-natural foods and products like fresh juices, whole-grain breads, organic vegetables, and prefers using paraben-free facial washes and soaps. She wants to stay as healthy as possible, especially in a big (dirty) city like NYC.
Treatment suggestions: The Natural Face Lift Facial, Nagomi Manicure + Sakura Pedicure, Far Infrared Sauna
The Nagomi Manicure and Sakura Pedicure are SNY’s signature nail treatments using only natural ingredients free of harsh chemicals and additives that are mixed right in front of you. Ingredients include fresh lemon, olive oil, soy, rice, and sake to exfoliate, hydrate and protect the skin and nails. Combine this with the Far Infrared Sauna and The Natural Face Lift Facial which uses Naturopathica’s high-performance, all natural and paraben-free products. These treatments will leave Mom feeling well-balanced and glowing!
Gift suggestion: SICILIAN BERGAMOT BODY LOTION
Loves to Spa Mom:
The Loves to Spa Mom, well, she loves to spa! She finds comfort and peace in all things pampering.
Treatment suggestion: DAY OF BEAUTY
During our Mother’s Day Promotion May 3rd – 19th, 2013 we are offering a SNY exclusive “Day of Beauty” 4-hour spa package* that includes:
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure + added Reflexology
Gift suggestion: Maddison Ave pure-scented soy candle
*This spa package includes a complimentary spa candle for Mom to take home!
We’d like to applaud Bernstein Medical, founded by Shizuka’s husband, Dr. Robert M. Bernstein, for being named the #1 Best company to work for in NY State in the Small/Medium Company Category!
Each year, the NY State sponsored, The Best Companies to Work for In New York program, recognizes the best large and small/medium companies that go above and beyond to appreciate and value their employees. The program conducts a two-part assessment process, the bulk of which assesses employee satisfaction in the workplace.
Congrats Bernstein Medical!
Can you guess what “beauty product” the 51-year-old actress, Heather Locklear, admittedly applies to her face?
Reportedly, when TMZ reporters asked her about her secret to her ever-flawless skin, she replied with: “You just put semen on your face.”