Our NYC Men’s Spa offers a variety of services specially catered to men’s skin care and spa needs.
Since 2005, we’ve been offering men’s services such as manicure and pedicure, massages, facials, eyelash perm, eyelash and eyebrow tinting, waxing, IPL hair removal, and more.
We are conveniently located in the heart of Midtown Manhattan across from Rockefeller Plaza, making it an ideal place for a lunchtime spa break or to wind down after work.
Our goal is to provide a memorably relaxing and rejuvenating experience for all.
Here’s an example of what to expect during a visit to Shizuka New York Day Spa:
Once stepping out of the elevator and into our tranquil “zen-like” spa setting, clients are immediately greeted by the sound of flowing water and the faint scent of jasmine, cucumber, and ylang ylang in the air. After checking in with our friendly staff, clients are invited to change into a Japanese robe and slippers for facials and massages or are escorted into the nail spa or tranquility lounge to await treatments. Fresh flowers and traditional Japanese items enhance the spa’s neutral décor helping you feel relaxed and miles away from the bustling city streets below. After treatments, clients are served a special blend of Japanese tea and rice crackers to further relax and regroup before departing.
Here’s what a few of our clients are saying about our NYC Men’s Spa:
“I had severe neck pain for the past 3 weeks and she totally cured me [with a 50min. Deep Tissue Massage]! I’ll definitely be back!”
My facial was absolutely wonderful. It was relaxing and deeply cleansing. I left feeling completely relaxed and polished for a dinner that evening”.
“I come in for a men’s pedicure at least once a month. The staff is always so accommodating and the service is exceptional”.
“Best eyelash perm in the city”.
Are you a NYC Men’s Spa client? If so, how was your recent spa experience? We love hearing from you!
Back in 2010 Shizuka appeared on ABC News Now to demonstrate The Geisha Facial® on a segment called “Bizarre Beauty Secrets”. The segment also included other services (NOT sponsored by Shizuka) such as the Fish Pedicure where tiny garra rufa fish literally nibble the dead skin off your feet.
Since the show aired, we’ve received plenty of phone calls asking about this pedicure, but our spa never has nor ever will offer Fish Pedicures—sorry!
The treatment, also known as “Dr. Fish” is banned in NY State primarily for sanitary reasons. Because the fish are very much alive, it’s nearly impossible to fully sanitize the water in which they swim (and produce bio-wastes!) And then there’s the matter of the fish themselves. It’s just as impossible to sanitize the fish between treatments. So while it may seem unlikely, the fish can actually become vehicles to spread fungal infections and other diseases between other customers.
When it comes to pedicures, we recommend keeping it clean and simple. A good exfoliation and thorough callus care will slough any and all dead skin away. Next time you need a good scrub, reconsider sticking your feet in a fish tank, and opt instead for a pedicure treatment like our Bamboo Scrub Pedicure.
Every now and then a quick cat nap can do wonders to boost energy and reset the body and mind. Along the same lines, a quick spa treatment can be just what you need to rest and recharge amidst a hectic schedule.
Check out these popular Express Spa treatments below:
A single color manicure or pedicure includes cuticle care, foot exfoliation, buffing/color, and moisturizing. The sugar scrub and & bamboo scrub treatments include additional hand and foot exfoliation and light massage.
Basic Manicure – 20 min.
Basic Pedicure – 35 min.
Sugar Scrub Manicure – 30 min.
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure – 45 min.
Massages are typically enjoyed at 50 or 80 minute increments but we also offer shorter versions for 25 and 35 minutes–perfect for anyone new to massage therapy.
Swedish – 25 min. & 35 min.
Shiatsu – 25 min. & 35 min.
Reflexology (Foot massage) – 25 min. & 35 min.
Deep Tissue – 35 min.
Omedeta (Maternity) – 25 min.
This full body exfoliation treatment sloughs off dead skin cells leaving your skin soft and supple.
Body Scrub – 20 min.
Our most basic NYC spa facial incorporates Shizuka New York Day Spa’s all-natural skin care products and includes cleansing, exfoliation, and extraction.
Express Facial – 30 min.
These facials incorporate GentleWaves®, a facial rejuvenation treatment that uses LED lights to shrink pores, fine lines and wrinkles, and stimulate collagen production.
GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – 30 min.
Collagen Boost Facial – 40 min.
are all about using
in a bold way.
Every tried Gel Nails?
Check out these +HOT+ Gel Manicures w/ Design by Sarah:
Summer is all about being outside; whether it’s building sandcastles on the beach, picnicking in the park, enjoying a backyard barbeque, or just basking on a some stepsâ€”outdoors is the place to be!
While the warm sun feels wonderful on your skin, it can really dry it out (even if you’re in the shade!), eventually leaving your skin starving for some nutrient-rich moisturizing.
In the name of summer and all things relaxing, we came up with a list of our most popular “sun repair” spa treatments that will heal and soothe sun drenched skin, providing deep hydration and relief (& will prepare you for some more fun in the sun!)
For the Face:
- The Geisha Facial - The Geisha Facial has received a lot of press due to its much lauded ingredient, Uguisu no Fun or Nightingale droppings. But many forget is that this is a full service facial including a hydrating camellia oil facial massage and antioxidant-rich Green Tea Collagen mask. The mask works to reduce signs of aging by encouraging further collagen production and saturates the skin with free radical fighting antioxidants.
- GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation – This facial incorporates specially coded LED lights that promote a process called photomodulation in the skin. Much like photosynthesis in plants, the LED lights work to stimulate and promote healthy skin production.
- Naturopathica’s Natural Face Lift Facial - Combined with ultrasonic and microcurrent technologies, this high performance treatment uses Naturopathica brand products including Plant Stem Cell Serum (a powerful antioxidant blend) to deliver deep hydration and gently firms and tones the skin.
For the Body:
- Coffee Break Mud Wrap - This 50min heated treatment uses a natural body scrub that includes Black Silt Clay and Coffee Arabica to exfoliate and draw out impurities. It also includes Indian Sarsaparilla and Shea Butter to clarify skin and seal in moisture.
For the Hands & Feet:
- Espresso Mud Pedicure -This sensually invigorating pedicure uses a mud mixture to exfoliate and deeply hydrate your feet. In addition to nail and cuticle care, and buffing/color; this treatment includes added moisturizing and light massage.
- Sakura Pedicure & Nagomi Manicure – These are our signature manicure and pedicure treatments that include the most pampering and nail care. We use the natural harnessing power of ingredients like Crystallized Honey, Rice Bran, Sake-Kasu, and a handmade and chemical free Yuzu Massage Cream to fully exfoliate and deeply hydrate the hands and feet.
Our Men’s Spa offers relaxing and customizable services for facials, massages, body treatments, and more.
For Father’s Day, give the gift of total relaxation with a Men’s facial at Shizuka. It’s an indulgence they might not think to treat themselves to, but totally worth it. Shizuka delivers excellent men’s facials and massages.
Price: $105-$115, pending on service
Visit Shizuka: 7 W. 51st St., 6th Floor New York, NY 10019. (212) 644-7400
“Owner and master-aesthetician, Shizuka Bernstein was born in Tokyo. A former dance instructor, Shizuka discovered her passion for skin care after emigrating from Japan to the United States and marrying prominent Manhattan dermatologist and hair restoration specialist, Dr. Robert Bernstein. Shizuka Bernstein is in high demand as a master facialist and skin care expert. Her artful technique has been singled out by many publications including New York Magazine which has featured her as a “Skin Care Guru.”
Check out our current Spa Deals here>>
Memorial Day is just a few weeks away, bringing with it the warm summer months to follow. Here are some tips to looking and feeling your best throughout summer 2013!
1. Screen your skin!: In order to protect against the sun’s harmful UVA and UVB rays, generously coat all exposed skin with sunscreen, preferably broad spectrum SPF 30 or higher. Also, just applying once isn’t enough–remember to reapply every two hours, especially after swimming or extensive sweating.
Related blog post>> Top Summer Skin Mistake
2. Post lunch: Most people forget that the skin on your lips is also susceptible to sun damage, so be sure to wear lip balm with SPF. Don’t forget to reapply especially after eating or drinking.
3. Made in shades: Wear sunglasses with lenses that provide UV protection. Too much sun over time can actually damage your eyes, not to mention the fine lines that can accrue from too much squinting.
4. Exfoliate & moisturize!: Show off soft smooth skin by making it a habit to exfoliate regularly and moisturize daily. When you exfoliate, dead skin cells are sloughed off revealing smoother skin. Moisturizing everyday will not only keep your skin hydrated, but will help your skin retain water and look smoother. SNY Moisturizer goes on light and silky and provides the benefits of immediate hydration.
5. Wax not wane: Consider waxing to get rid of unwanted body hair during the summer months. In most cases, a waxing will last for 4-6 weeks. IPL (or Intense Pulsed Light) is considered a more permanent hair removal solution, however, IPL treatments make the skin more sensitive to sunlight. Because of this, the procedure is best left for the cooler winter months when skin is less likely to be exposed to direct sunlight. If you do receive IPL during the summer, take care to wear protective clothing and reapply SPF 30 or higher regularly to the treated areas.
Related blog post>> 5 Summer Waxing Tips from Shizuka NY
6. Footsie play: Get a spa pedicure with exfoliation to get your feet sandal ready! Have fun and choose colors that compliment your sandals or add-on a bit of reflexology to soothe and recharge tired feet.
7. Aloe me: Keep some aloe vera or aloe-based ointment or moisturizer on hand in case of accidental sunburn to skin. Aloe will help relieve the pain and can help the skin heal faster. Continue to apply sunscreen with SPF 30 or higher to the affected area(s).
8. Daily cleanse: Be sure to cleanse skin properly each day to keep pores free from sweat and sunscreen build-up. Sweating actually purifies your skin by releasing bacteria and other toxins through your pores. However, when you let the sweat dry on your skin, the sitting bacteria can lead to breakouts and major acne. SNY Clay Cleanser is great for summertime cleansing and the cooling effect of peppermint will leave your skin cool and refreshed.
Related blog post>> Product Highlight: Shizuka NY Clay Cleanser
9. G’day: As the sun beats down on you, especially during the scorching afternoon hours, be sure to wear a hat or scarf to protect your scalp from burning. Scarves in light colored fabrics such as white, khaki, or pastels will help keep you cool by reflecting heat instead of absorbing it like dark colors. Brimmed hats made of natural fibers such as straw, linen or cotton will help your scalp breathe and will help protect your face as well. If hats and scarves aren’t your thing, consider using an umbrella instead. It will keep you cool and help protect your skin, scalp AND hair from ultimate summertime burnout!
10. Bugs beware: To avoid unsightly bug bites and itchy rashes from mosquitoes, ticks, and gnats, consider trying natural alternatives to chemical-based repellents. Apply any combination of essential oils like cedar oil, citronella oil, clove oil, geranium oil, lemon eucalyptus oil, lemongrass oil, peppermint oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil, and even the juice from garlic cloves will help keep mosquitoes and other bugs (and maybe even other humans too) at bay.
11. HydrateHydrateHydrate: Drinking plenty of water and non-alcoholic beverages will help keep your skin and hair hydrated and healthy. Alcohol tends to dehydrate the skin and hair, so be sure to replenish your system with plenty of water and electrolytes after every mojito and margarita!
We have a wide variety of treatments and gifts sure to please every type of mom this Mother’s Day. Check out the following Mother’s Day Spa Guide to find out which treatments and gifts are the best fit for your Mom!
The executive mom is usually always busy with work. When she’s not cooking dinner or going to soccer practice, she’s glued to her Smartphone to keep in touch with the office. She’s perpetually busy but loves it when she’s finally able to RELAX, even if it’s just for a couple hours.
Treatment suggestions: Coffee break Mud Wrap, 80min Shiatsu/ Swedish Massage
Our Coffee Break Mud Wrap combines soothing heat therapy with refreshing exfoliation and detoxification. Our “Mud” mixture will reinvigorate the senses with sweet earthy aromas of Arabica Coffee, honey, and bergamot, among others. Combine this with an 80min Shiatsu or Swedish massage and Mom will leave feeling rejuvenated and ready to go!
Gift suggestion: Espresso Mud Body Scrub, Sicilian Bergamot Body Lotion, Plant Stem Cell Serum
On The Go Mom:
On The Go Mom is usually busy as a bee, with a daily mile long to-do list. She loves getting things done, and try as she might, finding time for herself just isn’t a top priority most of the time.
Treatment suggestions: The Geisha Facial® , GentleWaves® LED Facial Rejuvenation, Collagen Mask add on
Since On The Go Mom is likely hopping cabs, catching trains and walking, er running, through the busy city streets, her skin is also susceptible to innumerable free radicals (airborne impurities) in the air. Over time this can age the skin, so we suggest treatments such as The Geisha Facial ®, Gentle Waves treatment, or even adding on a collagen mask to any of our facials to stimulate collagen production, encourage cellular renewal and shrink pores.
Gift suggestion: VITAMIN C REVITALIZING COMPLEX
Lady of the Manor Mom:
Lady of the Manor Mom usually, quite literally, has her hands full engineering ways to keep the home and family in tip top shape. She’s always coming up with new and better ways to improve productivity and time management. She’s super practical and doesn’t usually have time for some much needed pampering and relaxation.
Treatment suggestions: Signature Micro Facial, EYELASH PERM, Sugar Scrub Manicure + Bamboo Scrub Pedicure
Our Signature Micro Facial is our most popular facial with the most pampering. This facial combines deep cleansing with face, scalp, hand and shoulder massage, as well as reflexology treatment (foot massage). Combine this facial with an Eyelash Perm and nails, and Mom will feel like a Queen!
Gift suggestions: SHIZUKA NY MOISTURIZER, Lavender Honey Balancing Mist, ON THE CUFF
The health-conscious Mom loves to feed herself with all-natural foods and products like fresh juices, whole-grain breads, organic vegetables, and prefers using paraben-free facial washes and soaps. She wants to stay as healthy as possible, especially in a big (dirty) city like NYC.
Treatment suggestions: The Natural Face Lift Facial, Nagomi Manicure + Sakura Pedicure, Far Infrared Sauna
The Nagomi Manicure and Sakura Pedicure are SNY’s signature nail treatments using only natural ingredients free of harsh chemicals and additives that are mixed right in front of you. Ingredients include fresh lemon, olive oil, soy, rice, and sake to exfoliate, hydrate and protect the skin and nails. Combine this with the Far Infrared Sauna and The Natural Face Lift Facial which uses Naturopathica’s high-performance, all natural and paraben-free products. These treatments will leave Mom feeling well-balanced and glowing!
Gift suggestion: SICILIAN BERGAMOT BODY LOTION
Loves to Spa Mom:
The Loves to Spa Mom, well, she loves to spa! She finds comfort and peace in all things pampering.
Treatment suggestion: DAY OF BEAUTY
During our Mother’s Day Promotion May 3rd – 19th, 2013 we are offering a SNY exclusive “Day of Beauty” 4-hour spa package* that includes:
Bamboo Scrub Pedicure + added Reflexology
Gift suggestion: Maddison Ave pure-scented soy candle
*This spa package includes a complimentary spa candle for Mom to take home!
We’re cooking up some new and unique nail art ideas for spring!
Try the Basic or Sugar Scrub Manicure with this delicate and chic gold blocked design for an additional $2/nail or an additional $3/nail with colors.
For some sparkle and fun, try the Gel Manicure with a stripe design for $3/nail and stone assortment for $2-$4/nail!
Got an idea you’d like us to try? Email an image to: email@example.com and let’s talk!
Last year, we wrote a blog post about Prada’s Spring 2013 show in Milan showcasing a bold new take on traditional Japanese-inspired clothing. With the beginning of spring officially just a week away, we thought we’d share some nail art designs inspired by the same collection!
Related blog post: “Tips for Nail Art Perfection” >>
Nail art is a fun and relatively inexpensive way to be expressive and even a little festive too!
Having trouble deciding what your next nail art should be? Here are some helpful tips to get your creativity flowing:
- Look at images on nail art websites or just Google “nail art images”. Sometimes you don’t know what you want until you see something that inspires you!
- It’s best to come into a salon with a picture already printed out or email the salon beforehand. There’s a possibility the salon won’t be equipped to execute the design and plus, there’s nothing more disappointing than trekking somewhere for nothing!
- Although DIY nail art kits are super fun, letting a professional do it for you ensures you’ll have a pristine manicure without any stress or time wasted. Professional manicurists have a good idea what will work for the shape and size of your nails and can recommend ideas you may not have thought of.
- If you’re really into a type of pattern, fabric, or design, bring in a swatch or a picture and watch your manicurist do wonders to bring that design to life on your nails!
- If nail art isn’t your thing, but you still want to try something new, try picking out 2 or 3 or your favorite colors. Adding a small colorful embellishment (like a color blocking design, images like a heart or flower, or even crystals) to a nail or two can really elevate your manicure to the next level!
Here at SNY, we have talented nail artists on staff every day! Contact us beforehand with your idea and we’ll make sure to pair you with the best manicurist for your needs!
Looking for some creative and fun nail design ideas this fall? We’ve compiled a few:
Starry Night – Craving a little star-studded sky? This look can be as romantic or as galactic-glam as you like!
Adorably Dotty - Kate Spade’s Fall 2012 collection showcased polka dot nail art — so fun and can be combined with a variety of colors!
Ombre, Ombre! – Ombre hair (color fading from dark to light) is still on trend and the look has translated into nail art as well. Celebrities like Rihanna rock the ombre effect (also called Gradation Manicure), and it looks stunning!
Elle.com’s Best in Show for 2012 features these two new trendy takes on the French manicure.
“The new French manicure follows just one rule: no white polish.” Also pair the manicure with a metallic shade to resemble jewelry.
Repeatedly, clients want to know more about our LED Gel Nails so we decided to post some of our most frequently asked questions and answers:
Q: At another salon a gel soak-off takes about 10 minutes, why does your LED Gel Soak-off take longer?
A: Our Gel Soak-off takes about 45min to complete. After soaking off and removing the gel from your nails, our estheticians carefully perform a detailed dry cuticle care treatment. This treatment is very detailed and helps to extend the health of your nails and to prepare them for their next treatment.
Q: Can I request a soak-off even though I received a gel manicure from another salon? And how much extra does it cost?
A: Yes, we can still perform soak-offs for UV-cured gels, however, the process is a bit more arduous since in most cases we need to file down the whole nail first. Our soak-off price for UV-cured gels is $40. To save you time and money, we suggest going back to the salon you received your treatment and receive a soak-off there before coming in.
Q: Is your LED Gel Nails really long lasting?
A: Yes! If your nails chip or peel within 10 days of your treatment, we will gladly redo the nail for free! Because our LED Gel Nails last longer than a regular manicure or pedicure, it’s an ideal treatment if you’re going on vacation or will be away for an extended period of timeâ€”more time to enjoy your time away and less time worrying about your nails! To show you how durable our LED Gel treatment is, we documented a LED Gel Manicure performed recently:
If you have additional questions or concerns, feel free to email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org or leave a comment here. We love hearing from you!
Before coming in for their first LED Gel Nail Treatments, some clients want to know: What’s the difference between LED and UV Gel Nails?
Basically, the difference lies in the gels’ ingredients and the light needed to cure, or dry, it. Our gel requires LED light to form an even protective layer over your nails. “LED” stands for “light emitting diode,” which refers to the type of bulb an LED gel lamp uses.
The end result â€” base coat, two coats of color plus one top coat â€” looks no thicker than nail polish and stays on your nails for at least 10 days. We guarantee it!
Learn more about our LED Gel Manicure or Pedicure treatments >>
Lucky Magazine asks: What Color is Your Pedicure?
It all depends on your sandalsâ€”which, this summer, should be a decidedly brilliant shade of something.
Yellow looks so pop against the hot pink shoes.
This muted coral tones down the dramaâ€”but still looks exotic.
Deep blue-green, and drop-dead sexy.
So feminine! The soft rose sets off the shoes’ bold fuchsia.
Upgrade from a Basic to a Classic Pedicure for added exfoliation and light massage >>
Has the long winter left your feet tired and achey? Try a little reflexology foot massage to revitalize your tootsies before sandal season hits!
Reflexology is a practice that targets certain areas of the feet and hands with specialized pressure to increase circulation, relieve tension and improve organ function.
A good foot massage will help stimulate the thousands of nerve endings in your feet keeping your feet (and body) happy and healthy!
Sweeten any spa pedicure by adding 10 extra minutes reflexology for only $20! >>
Adele’s super glamorous Louboutin-inspired manicure at the Grammy’s this month has certainly caught our eye! This lux look only works on longer nails, so take a month or so to grow out your nails, then visit our nail spa for this sing-your-heart-out celebrity treatment!
We also think Zooey Deschanel’s Tuxedo Nails from the Golden Globes are super adorable (and also do-able in our nail spa!)
Skin conditioning during the cold winter months can be an ongoing task, so we like to encourage our clients to try different treatments to find out which works best.
A Paraffin Wax treatment for your hands and feet is an inexpensive, speedy, yet luxurious way to warm and hydrate your skin while relaxing stiff muscles and joints. The wax contains paraffin oil making it softer than, for example, wax used for hair removal. Because it’s softer, the wax melts at lower temperatures, so it won’t burn or blister your skin. Add a Paraffin Wax treatment to your favorite manicure or pedicure or get it on its own for a quick and soothing treatment for your hard-working extremities!
Here’s what our Paraffin Wax treatment entails:
- First our estheticians lightly massage your hands or feet using SpaRitual Organic Moisturizing lotion, with Geranium essential oil.
- Then you will submerge your hands or feet into melted paraffin wax until your skin is generously coated (for feet, the process is slightly different to ensure that hands and feet aren’t dipped into the same wax).
- Your hands or feet are then covered with plastic and then slid into terry cloth mitts to keep the wax warm.
- After about 5 minutes, the process is complete and the wax is removed all at once.
Your skin will feel deeply moisturized and softened without being oily or greasy.
Paraffin Wax treatment by itself:
Or with your choice of manicure or pedicure:
See our Nail Spa menu for manicure and pedicure choices >>
Request a Paraffin Wax treatment online in the Additional Requests section >>
Looking for a fun new way to look dazzling at holiday parties? Check out these festive LED Gel Manicure designs created by the talented manicurists at SHIZUKA NY! Combine any of these nail art designs with our current 20% off LED Gel Manicure specials and get absolutely stunning nails for LESS until December 31st, 2011!
Call (212) 644-7400 or inquire online about pricing and appointment availability.
Request an appointment NOW! >>
Check out our current Holiday Spa Deals >>